2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

I can’t be the only who isnt nearly as outraged, if at all, at this news. Saw this coming. Tell me one thing in this world that isn’t monetised? Monetisation leads to greed. Football will survive. Just like premier league did when it broke off from the football league. Now am I for this? Not really. I don’t believe that teams should have indefinite stay. Merit needs matter. Though same time the top teams were always gonna remain the top teams largely. There was already a substantial gap between the top teams and the rest which seemed insurmountable, this just basically doubles down on that. 

Can I ask - have you ever followed your football club? i.e as a match going fan? The reason I ask isn't to be patronising, it's to understand my audience.

If you have been a match going fan, I would be stunned at you not being outraged.

Nobody is saying that football won't survive - these scumbags that own football clubs are incredibly successful businessmen. But the franchising of elite football absolutely signals the end of the football world we know and love.

The fear of failure drives the beauty of European football. It isn't just the highs of winning trophies; it's the fear of relegation, the fear of missing top 4, the fear of missing top 6. What fear of failure is there for these 15 franchises? If they are out of contention for the Premier League within 3 months (hi, Arsenal) then what is the point in the rest of the season for them?

This is, without ANY doubt, totally different to the breaking off of the Premier League from the Football League. The Super League is franchising 75% of their participants; the Premier League contains no franchising.

To act like this is just a slight extenuation of what is currently in place is just absolutely not true. Clubs will receive hundreds of millions of pounds extra, as well as that revenue GUARENTEED. No risk at all. 

• Like 1

The one good thing to come out of this is that fans from all clubs have come together and pundits are in unity in coming down very hard on this. There is STILL the desire for community, competition, grass-roots etc. We haven't fully gone into ultra soulless greedy kvnt mode that this proposal would see us into.

The audacity of some of those clubs. Spurs?! One league cup since 1999, no league title since 1961 - they're one of the elites are they? Arsenal right now are a joke, but it's OK they have a mega rich owner who can just take them into a BS non-competitive elitist league where they just automatically make loads of money just for being there. Not excusing the likes of LFC or anything, who do have european pedigree, but....club of the people? Never Walk Alone? My arse. 

Anyway, the repercussions proposed are very strong - relinquish PL status, players for those clubs won't be able to play for their country etc. That is a strong response which, if true, would give all this pause. 

37 minutes ago, roysmyboy31 said:

The greed is just disgusting on the part of these big clubs.  It's never enough for them.

Teams like Inter and Barca are in so much debt keeping their brand up theyre not left with much other choice. Covid even sunk the Tots to near a billion in debt due to their new stadium.

This "keeping up with the Jones" is killing most these teams. Isnt just greed its fear. They see ManCity, Chelsea and PSG go wild spending and the rest follow to keep pace. Unwilling to accept anything less than being the top flight squad and being thought of like Everton is now.

10 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Can I ask - have you ever followed your football club? i.e as a match going fan? The reason I ask isn't to be patronising, it's to understand my audience.

If you have been a match going fan, I would be stunned at you not being outraged.

Nobody is saying that football won't survive - these scumbags that own football clubs are incredibly successful businessmen. But the franchising of elite football absolutely signals the end of the football world we know and love.

The fear of failure drives the beauty of European football. It isn't just the highs of winning trophies; it's the fear of relegation, the fear of missing top 4, the fear of missing top 6. What fear of failure is there for these 15 franchises? If they are out of contention for the Premier League within 3 months (hi, Arsenal) then what is the point in the rest of the season for them?

This is, without ANY doubt, totally different to the breaking off of the Premier League from the Football League. The Super League is franchising 75% of their participants; the Premier League contains no franchising.

To act like this is just a slight extenuation of what is currently in place is just absolutely not true. Clubs will receive hundreds of millions of pounds extra, as well as that revenue GUARENTEED. No risk at all. 

100%

To put it in even clearer terms using a genuine example - one my friends has been an Arsenal fan all his life, but his family could never afford the tickets to home games. With the cap on away ticket games it was possible to travel to other stadiums to see his team. Now he's older and can afford the Emirates (absolute rip off...most expensive in the league isnt it?) but that's besides the point.

There are thousands and thousands of kids now who will never see their team play. (If this goes ahead). It's basically telling the supporter that they don't matter. And that's the antithesis of sport and football

• Like 1

Some of my most memorable moments watching United in Europe were against 'lesser' opposition. Yes, they were negative memories for me, but incredible moments for the opposition.

That incredible Bilbao side managed by Bielsa that battered United in the Europa League.
That night in Basel (think Vidic tore his ACL) where we got knocked out in the group stage.
The IFK Gothenburg side that beat United and topped a group with Barcelona in.

The audacity of United to think they are too good for those nights. I'm so ashamed of them, but at least it gives me a watershed moment to stop wasting so much time and feeling on them.

• Like 2

@lomaxgrUK well at least you're coming down on the right side, and it looks like 90% of fans feel the same way. 

What about effing Liverpool?? The supposed club of the people, where the chairman even tweets about their community upbringing and working class history....all gone if this goes ahead. Klopp will hate this, I guarantee. TBF, the fans are going wild (judging by TalkSport and social media etc). So many of those fans from poor areas, the club is all they have.

Good luck trying to get Bayern or any German clubs with their 50+1 rule. That is a great model, and I hope somehow the PL adopts that model (I know it won't). So no more Champions League, but Bayern and PSG still can....? This whole thing is a joke.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Nope, I’m not a season ticket holder or anything. Im not outraged because im Not surprised by all this and wanna see where this actually goes.

My general point is that for all these clubs, the fear of failure was never really gonna be threatened. Too much money is in the game that the big teams were pretty much gonna stay big. This just further entrenches this. Like I’ve said the idea of no relegation or promotion in this league is a big problem. Which I don’t like. Merit should exist and be prominent. 

Me bringing up the premier league breaking off is to say that greed has always existed and will always exist. It’s part of economies. Capitalism rules the world, and no shock it has ruled football. Im Intrigued to see how this is gonna work and play out. 

Flags are coming down from the Kop. 

In response to the news, Spion Kop 1906 – which organise flags, banners and displays on the Kop – declared they can “no longer give our support to a club which puts financial greed above integrity of the game.

“We’ve been in contact with the club today to make it clear we want all the banners and the flags all taken down as soon as possible. We’re taking our support off the table from now,” read a statement to The Athletic.

“It’s disgraceful and absolutely disgusting what the owners have done. We don’t know how it’s got this far without fans being consulted.

“They have sold their soul. No Liverpool fan could get on board with this Super League.”