2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

I dont see where Fifa can say anything. They allowed all this starting with the boys club of the MLS. Which should have never been allowed or accepted to begin with. And yet theyre competing in CONCACAF and send off World Cup qualifiers. How can Fifa say anything against this new league, threaten to ban players from national competitions when theyve been allowing such for 25 years out the MLS. Theyre a joke. Fifa makes money 1 of every 4 years. The World Cup years. And they want to ban the worlds best players for joining the Euro MLS.

Then UEFA whining and crying about the game. When its all about the money for them too. If anything, they need to tend to the Big5 leagues properly and stop sending megamillions to these small leagues where their team budget is the level of EFLs Ligue 1.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Wonder if the Sky deal would be rescinded if those 6 clubs pulled out. That would be turmoil.

Sky will absolutely be pursuing legal action if they are kicked out. I am not a Lawyer, so I don't know if it will be the Premier League or the clubs themselves that would face the legal action.

The Premier League product will undoubtedly be diluted from a 'quality' perspective, but boy - the equality and, with reduced wages in line with a new TV deal, would be SO enticing for domestic football fans.

Football's been dying a slow death in terms its overall appeal/excitement for me and this is probably just going to accelerate it. Today's news isn't really surprising to me - IMO as soon as UEFA rolled over to PSG and Man City and made FFP toothless it was inevitable that the heavyweights were going to band together to develop something for themselves. But it's still depressing. 

I feel worst for the local fans, they've already watched the slow disintegration of their football culture and this is just bringing what has basically been a 30-year project/process to its natural conclusion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

See, this is why you don’t allow Americans ownership in your industry/club.

Nothing against America or Americans, but these fckin owners have no interest in this sport or this country. I wonder if Kroenke even knows what this sport is. No interest in the community, the roots, the hard graft these clubs have gone through for decades and decades. Relegation baffels and scares them - the thought that all of a sudden they could lose all their money...

They only know the franchise model. That's fine with NFL, but it is not compatible with football/soccer. You could never do things like relocate a club, for example. We should have stamped this out years ago and adopted the German model of 50+1. Too late. This is gross.

Someone mentioned trying to find a club, look no further than BVB. 

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I can't believe these clubs are showing that they are so willing to give up the PL. It's their everything, pretty much. All the history of over 100 years competing in the leagues - just so willing to throw that away. 

These owners don't give two schits about the history of the clubs, nor the 'legacy fans,' as it was so crassly put; merely future revenue streams and how much can be milked from them. 

It's sad, but it was an inevitability once football became such big business. The 'death of football' began a long time ago for me as a fan of a club who has seen provincial English clubs raid our squad of our best players due to little more than geographical fortune. 

That said, this is a different kettle of fish. Hopefully the strong opposition to it will have the desired effect. 

Edited by ChillerBee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

See, this is why you don’t allow Americans ownership in your industry/club.

Thing is, and I can only speak to Arsenal here but I'm somewhat confident this had to be the case with a number of clubs, there were long-entrenched Board members (whose shares had been in their families for generations) who absolutely wanted this and sought to empower American minority owners to majority stakes because of it.

I know a lot of people don't want to hear it, but this was a very foreseeable end-product as soon as a number of (very vocal) fan bases started equating "ambition" to "willingness to lose money in order to win competitions/silverware."  There was no closing that Pandora's Box once it was opened.; you might as well have invited feral wolves into your chicken coup and then gotten upset when you came back to find nothing but a pile of bloody feathers.

8 minutes ago, ChillerBee said:

These owners don't give two schits about the history of the clubs, nor the 'legacy fans,' as it was so crassly put; merely future revenue streams and how much can be milked from them. 

It's sad, but it was an inevitability once football became such big business. The 'death of football' began a long time ago for me as a fan of a club who has seen provincial English clubs raid our squad of our best players due to little more than geographical fortune. 

That said, this is a different kettle of fish. Hopefully the strong opposition to it will have the desired effect. 

Wholeheartedly agree.  Sadly, this makes a hero out of an entity (UEFA/FIFA) who really has no right be a hero - and may well see their past sins absolved as they become "the necessary evil."  

Real Madrid boss Perez claims Super League will 'save football'

https://www.goal.com/en/news/real-madrid-boss-perez-claims-super-league-will-save/2fkjw8sgwmf41s0r27eqhpwns

then...

'That's not going to happen' - Real Madrid chief Perez laughs off UEFA threats to ban players for Super League participation

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/thats-not-going-to-happen-real-madrid-chief-perez-laughs-off/18f30ucpkwwqw1m36bbgl1ta5m

I dont care. I like this dude. Selling it like Kurt Russell in that "Used Cars" movie. lol

16 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

"A close relationship".  Everyone using an Iphone, wearing Nikes, using Amazon, watching the NBA and all else have just as close a relationship with such.

And want to talk close. How bout your Karen Bradys direct involvement with these very people?

So Zayed with no proven involvement with such activities is guilty of something. While Karen who willfully associated and wanted to be so embedded with these people she resorted to pimping her own daughter to them somehow makes her team worthy enough to cheer.

It's not her team.

It's our team.

None of this is an inevitable march towards the markets best choice.

If anything it is part of their negotiation for more Champions League money and more or less guaranteed entry to that competition.

I'm baffled that the owners don't recognise the difference between global and domestic supporters, and the weighted importance of the latter.

A supporter is a supporter no matter where they are located. However, the local supporter, who goes to games, whose children are supporters before they are born, whose grandfather stood on the same terraces, dedicate much more of their time and money into a club.

Even the two actual big clubs, Man United and Liverpool, still need those fans. The TV deals and sponsorships do make up the lion's share of income for them both, but ESPN isn't going to be stood in the Stretford End or the Kop urging their team on.

• Like 1