2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

I personally wouldn’t blame Navas for either goal. For the first one, those kind of crosses are the most difficult to defend. Even though there wasn’t too much pace on the ball, only thing he could’ve done is possibly showed better anticipation which is harsh. Second one, is not on him at all. It was a poor free kick and the wall showed no bravery. 

People who only watch highlights will think typical game of 2 halves and City deserved winners due to thoroughly bossing the second half. However, I think City were a bit fortunate. It showed so clearly that they needed a striker up there. So many crosses to thin air, so many midfielders just hanging around outside the box.

A lot of posession in dangerous areas, but nothing to target. No through running, hardly any shots. They had 85% possession up to 60 mins with only 1 shot (KdB bicycle attempt). Then the two goals game.

Ruben and Stones corraled Mbappe well, but I thought Neymar was really dangerous. Verratti should have scored a tap in set up by Neymar.

Still, they did deserve it based on the 2nd half and they are practically in the final. Where I think they may face Chelsea.....EPL strikes back

Edited by Hunter2_1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

People who only watch highlights will think typical game of 2 halves and City deserved winners due to thoroughly bossing the second half. However, I think City were a bit fortunate. It showed so clearly that they needed a striker up there. So many crosses to thin air, so many midfielders just hanging around outside the box.

A lot of posession in dangerous areas, but nothing to target. No through running, hardly any shots. They had 85% possession up to 60 mins with only 1 shot (KdB bicycle attempt). Then the two goals game.

Ruben and Stones corraled Mbappe well, but I thought Neymar was really dangerous. Verratti should have scored a tap in set up by Neymar.

Still, they did deserve it based on the 2nd half and they are practically in the final. Where I think they may face Chelsea.....EPL strikes back

Agree. Navas was barely tested in that game. City in that second half had a lot of possession and weren’t really getting the shots on goal. PSG were defending pretty comfortably and all you have to do is look at the goals they conceded to show. A cross in the box where nobody  was near it and a blunder of a free kick. Gonna be interesting to see the second leg because PSG basically get to play without pressure while city have a lead to defend. Can’t remember the last time PSG were in this situation.  

• Like 1

Gueye is a big loss for PSG, IMO. I definitely think they can come back but they looked defeated once City scored the 1st.

I think City need to pursue a striker aggressively this summer. Pep doesn’t trust Jesus and Agüero is gone. If they don’t get Haaland, they should go for a cheap stopgap like Ings or take a risk on a high potential youngster like Malen instead of Lukaku. He’s great, but he’s not young, expensive, and I don’t know if he fits their playing style.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

Gueye is a big loss for PSG, IMO. I definitely think they can come back but they looked defeated once City scored the 1st.

I think City need to pursue a striker aggressively this summer. Pep doesn’t trust Jesus and Agüero is gone. If they don’t get Haaland, they should go for a cheap stopgap like Ings or take a risk on a high potential youngster like Malen instead of Lukaku. He’s great, but he’s not young, expensive, and I don’t know if he fits their playing style.

He is a big loss. 

I think it's something like 70% City are through, but if they get the first goal, it rockets up to like 95% or something. PSG HAVE to score first. They can and have come back from worse positions than this in recent years. 

Pep is so weird, you see he played BOTH Aguero and Gabriel yesterday? Feast or famine with him and strikers.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:57 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

The game got chippy at the end and PSG players were acting like they’ve already lost the tie.

Navas should have done better on both goals.

I didn't check the date on this and thought it was about the second leg.  What a petulant, amateurish display.  No surprise Poch was in charge of it based on Spurs' conduct while he was there.  Pathetic.  Even worse when Neymar looks like the mature one.

1 hour ago, EvilenFroggen said:

I didn't check the date on this and thought it was about the second leg.  What a petulant, amateurish display.  No surprise Poch was in charge of it based on Spurs' conduct while he was there.  Pathetic.  Even worse when Neymar looks like the mature one.

Argies gonna Argie...

On another note...Real is just not good enough. Zidane’s plan is just to throw more subpar attackers out there and Ramos looks so slow. There was no sense of urgency. I almost feel bad for Benzema.

Yeah RM looked awful. I watched 20 mins, realised how bad RM looked everywhere and turned it off. Easy for Chelsea.

Arsenal were a joke too. Created enough chances, but started a must-win game standing off the opposition. They should have been tearing into them. Arteta won't last next season

On 5/5/2021 at 9:00 PM, EvilenFroggen said:

I disagree with this, I think Poch was left stranded once the discipline went. Spurs hardly had a reputation for being undisciplined to be fair.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:27 PM, britishovertheborder said:

I disagree with this, I think Poch was left stranded once the discipline went. Spurs hardly had a reputation for being undisciplined to be fair.

Do they?  Kane and Dele scything people?  The Battle of Stamford Bridge 2016?  Poch has a history, so either he was complicit or he was “left stranded” and is ineffectual. Either way he’s a joke. 

Edit: And let’s not forget Son’s ****ery. Spurs deserve nothing.  “To Dream Is To Do!”  Keep dreaming. 

Edit to the edit: I’m sorry, I was worked up and got the motto wrong.  It’s “To Dare Is To Do!”  I change my sarcastic quip to “How dare you?”

Edited by EvilenFroggen
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...