2018/19 Europe Thread - It begins again

UKTexans

It might have. Not sure Havertz would have had that huge lane to drive through if Rodri or Fernandinho were providing cover 

But I do agree that too many people are saying City lost this , rather than Chelsea won 

We outplayed them. Again

On 5/31/2021 at 2:39 AM, Kip Smithers said:

Can’t be the only one that feels the criticism Pep is getting is a bit excessive. I don’t think a DM would’ve much a difference, if at all. 

At the very least it would have allowed Ilkay to play in his usual spot where he's done damage this season further up on the left, with his late runs. If both he and a DM played. 

Also, notice how they started to take proper control when Ferdnandinho came on. Think that's evidence enough that it would have made a difference

Sterling hasn't started an important game for at least a month, Rodri is Pep's most used player this season, and Fernandinho totally controlled PSG.

That all gets flipped for the most important game of the season; Sterling starts (and is OWNED by James), Rodri is nowhere and Nandinho comes on far too late.

Yep, he DID IT AGAIN. 

Don't get me wrong, Tuchel clearly knows how to play Pep (he did even at Mainz), but Pep made changes to that team that he's not made all season. How can that not be overthinking yet again. KEY changes, for what?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

At the very least it would have allowed Ilkay to play in his usual spot where he's done damage this season further up on the left, with his late runs. If both he and a DM played. 

Also, notice how they started to take proper control when Ferdnandinho came on. Think that's evidence enough that it would have made a difference

I think that’s the only way I understand it but city still played a very attacking line up and they mustered 1 shot on target. Im of the belief that no matter what line up he picked that the result would’ve been the same. We nullified them that well. 

they had a lot of the ball in the second half with or without Fernandinho tbh. We pretty much conceded possession in the second half. We played them twice in which one game both Fernandinho and Rodri played and in second game just Rodri and we found it  quite easy to play through City. For instance in the FA Cup Game Mount was dragging Fernandinho all over the place. Like I said I think the DM argument matters only in the sense that it would’ve allowed Gundogan to play higher up. But I don’t think it would’ve made a difference for how effective we were going forward. 

Edited by Kip Smithers

15 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I think that’s the only way I understand it but city still played a very attacking line up and they mustered 1 shot on target. Im of the belief that no matter what line up he picked that the result would’ve been the same. We nullified them that well. 

they had a lot of the ball in the second half with or without Fernandinho tbh. We pretty much conceded possession in the second half. We played them twice in which one game both Fernandinho and Rodri played and in second game just Rodri and we found it  quite easy to play through City. For instance in the FA Cup Game Mount was dragging Fernandinho all over the place. Like I said I think the DM argument matters only in the sense that it would’ve allowed Gundogan to play higher up. But I don’t think it would’ve made a difference for how effective we were going forward. 

Yeah I think Chelsea would have won even with a DM, but it definitely changed the way City played. You can't really imagine a long ball dissecting the lines like Mounts' if, say, Rodri was there. But Tuchel knows exactly how to play Pep, I think Chelsea win regardless. 

But he has definitely tinkered. He's not been without one of Rodri or Fernandinho in 60 games, and he chooses NOW to do that....haha

Picking an attacking lineup doesn't necessarily translate to better attacking play. It is a very unique skill to be able to receive passes deep from your Defenders and GK, then to play forward passes that break the structure of an opposition's defensive shape. 

If as a player you're unfamiliar with doing this then it is bonkers to try and thrust someone into that role in such an important game.

Gundogan is, without question, effective further up the pitch and around the box to score goals, whilst using his energy to press high up the pitch. De Bruyne is also much more effective in that second midfield tier, as opposed to receiving the ball 5-7 yards in front of his defenders. Opposition teams LOVE the prospect of De Bruyne playing passes 50 yards from goal rather than 25 yards from goal. Foden has absolutely no experience in the role, with Pep actually preferring to play him in the front 3 rather than midfield 3.

City had no shape at all in their possession and it stemmed from their inability to draw Chelsea out of their shape. That often requires either high quality passing from your central defenders (VVD), an ability to bring the ball out from your central defenders (Ramos, Ferdinand, Carvalho from the past) or the most relied upon option - a DMC that can split the lines of a defensive shape.

No ifs, buts, or maybes - Pep not picking Rodri of Fernandinho was a catastrophic mistake. We can't say what would've happened if he hadn't done this, but can anyone honestly argue City wouldn't have been much better?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...