Pittsburgh Steelers vs New England Patriots discussion thread

Slingin' Sammy

17 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Can you explain this at all, and put it into context vs the rest of the league?

Basically expected record is a function of a team's point differential. Most elite teams have really high positive point differentials, and their expected records reflect that. But the Steelers are one of those rare teams that has the best record in the league while having a middling point differential (they're only 5th in the AFC and 8th in the NFL). 

Last year's Raiders were similar in that regard (their expected record was 8.7-7.3 so their divergence was even greater than the Steelers) and it's often the case with teams that win a lot of close games, but a team being +2.7 with 3 games left in the season is very rare.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

The Steelers have outperformed their Pythagorean record by almost 3 full wins. That's insane.

Not saying they'll lose. This game is a toss-up to me. But that's a crazy statistic.

Yeah, that is insane.

Normally I would dismiss teams like that (ex. 2016 Raiders), but the Steelers talent level is up there with any team in the league. They remind me a bit of those Lebron's Heat teams that could turn it on and off whenever they feel like it. 

3 hours ago, game3525 said:

Yeah, that is insane.

Normally I would dismiss teams like that (ex. 2016 Raiders), but the Steelers talent level is up there with any team in the league. They remind me a bit of those Lebron's Heat teams that could turn it on and off whenever they feel like it. 

The Steelers are still playing down to their competition, but they’re pulling out the games instead of losing them (like @Indy, @Cincy, Hundley Packers, @Browns, etc.) The only time they’ve lost to a bad team all year was @Chicago like week 3.

3 hours ago, Slingin' Sammy said:

The Steelers are still playing down to their competition, but they’re pulling out the games instead of losing them (like @Indy, @Cincy, Hundley Packers, @Browns, etc.) The only time they’ve lost to a bad team all year was @Chicago like week 3.

Playing down to poor competition has been the MO of this team for the last 5 to 7 years or so.

NE is so banged up, I doubt they will go far in he playoffs. Their defense is decimated and unless quite a few return before the playoffs from their injuries, I could see them eliminated after one game, even with Tom Brady???

I would have to say the Steelers have an excellent chance this year to represent the AFC .

11 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

NE is so banged up, I doubt they will go far in he playoffs. Their defense is decimated and unless quite a few return before the playoffs from their injuries, I could see them eliminated after one game, even with Tom Brady???

I would have to say the Steelers have an excellent chance this year to represent the AFC .

Decimated?

We'll get Flowers, KVN and probably Harris back. First two are key. Hightower is done for season. Who am I missing? 1 injury. Unless Rowe is still out, I haven't noticed. 

If the Steelers win on Sunday then it may signal a changing of the guard in the AFC. It would mean they’re almost certainly going to be the top seed in the playoffs which I think they need to have the chance to knock off the Patriots and end their run of ownership of this rivalry. 

16 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

We have the Steelers exactly where we want them.

This game has been billed as the "game of the year" for several weeks now. By the networks and such. I don't see it. It's not that significant, and the NFC winner isn't going to be some doormat.

What I find curious is that the NFL is assigning a crew to this game that has thrown the most flags throughout the year and which has been involved in the 3 of the 4 most penalized games. It's not a secret or something most fans even deny anymore. The game has become over officiated, and not in a coherent or consistent manner. This troubles me. It tells me that when the lights are shining brightest, the league wants a crew in there that is going to throw a lot of laundry out there. I like games where I barely notice the officials, and in which where they do flag things, it at least seems consistent. I think the league has prevented that with their rule changes.

Everything about this rubs me the wrong way. It's not about which team it favors. I just want to sit and enjoy the game between two of the AFC's top 3 teams without focusing on the officials. The league has an entirely different philosophy, it seems.

Archived