Su'a Cravens to return to Redskins? Or another team?

MikeT14

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well that’s true to an extent, but Compton was a starter over SUA CRAVENS as an ILB. For as many plays that’s Compton made I’d be willing to bet that Compton got smoked on twice as many. There’s a reason we signed Brown last offseason and that Compton didn’t remain a starter. While he’s smart and recognizes things, he’s not athletic, gets overpowered (two great combos to have) and he misses tackles and get beat in coverage rather easily.

You can’t deny we missed Sua on our roster this year, he wasn’t going to be an intrical part of our defense and still could be if whatever’s was going on is sorted out. 

I'm not denying Compton's physical limitations and agree with his demotion when we brought in Brown. But right now, Will has made far more "game changing plays" than Suzy. Cravens is too small to be an ILB and too slow to be a Safety. I'm not really sure what we're missing here.

Last year meaning 2016 yes, this year concussion? No, that was never talked about. He had a knee injury in training camp and then couldn’t decide if he wanted to retire or not so they put him on the reserves list and it wasn’t the injured resevee list. 

As Thai said he didn’t even get paid this year.

Correct ^^^^ He had a knee injury. That had nothing to do with his head.

Two can play that game, you’re assuming he won’t make the effort. 

Lets not forget that McCloughan said that Sua loves football and him taking time off was not because he didn’t love football.

Clearly what we need to do is draft another safety and ILB in round 1 and 2 to cover our bases here.

Derwin James in round 1 just in case Sua bails again and then Raquon Smith in round 2.

He's already bailed twice. Once in college and another time with us. You want to allow the blackjack dealer to 5-draw to 21 a third time in a row? Or do you just walk away from that table of chance?

Last year meaning 2016 yes, this year concussion? No, that was never talked about. He had a knee injury in training camp and then couldn’t decide if he wanted to retire or not so they put him on the reserves list and it wasn’t the injured resevee list. 

As Thai said he didn’t even get paid this year.

Fair enough. Didn't he have concussions in college though?

6 hours ago, Slateman said:

What I believe will happen: Allen will try to trade him, and end up releasing him.

What should happen: The team captains will nominate one other player to vote. They should be informed that prior to cleaning out their lockers for the season, they will be required to deliver a vote on whether or not Cravens should be retained by the Redskins or released. Whatever the vote is, that is the decision.

If retained, the team should progress as if they are NOT depending on Cravens. He will have to earn starting time again. Fortunately, that will be quite achievable, as he has the skill set that compliments Brown and Sweringer (Covering right ends)

100% agree Slateman. That’s a great idea. I’d think the players would give him the chance to prove to them he wants to be there, if he doesn’t prove it to them and the coaches then trade him or cut him.

3 hours ago, the lone star said:

You all see Cravens as a guy that can get 6+ tackles a game? I know he's good in coverage, but do you all think he can come up and be effective against the run full-time?

He flashed that last year and he’s a good blitzer.

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

He's already bailed twice. Once in college and another time with us. You want to allow the blackjack dealer to 5-draw to 21 a third time in a row? Or do you just walk away from that table of chance?

It’s pretty clear what I’d do. If a guy has talent,  is not an off the field mess and is cheap it makes sense to me to give it a try. I wouldn’t rely on him to be a starter. We need to add better back up LBs behind whoever our starters are next year and better back up safeties behind Swearinger and Nicholson in the mid to late rounds regardless of what happens with Cravens.

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm not denying Compton's physical limitations and agree with his demotion when we brought in Brown. But right now, Will has made far more "game changing plays" than Suzy. Cravens is too small to be an ILB and too slow to be a Safety. I'm not really sure what we're missing here.

You skipped over the main point, Compton has had far more snaps. 

I don’t think Cravens is to slow to be an in the box safety, that’s a narrative that his detractors have created or those that want to force him to play ILB every down eventhough that’s not a natural position for him because they don’t like the safety position.

So much of safety is reading the Qb, having good instincts, being able to be a solid tackler who won’t miss tackles as the last line of defense and being a good blitzer. Those things defiance Cravens.

A guy like Cravens would be covering TEs & RBs out of the backfield, being used at the line of scrimmage to jam slot WRs and as a blitzer. 

I’m sure if he’s back that he’s going to be a dime ILB again and a back up safety. 

20 hours ago, the lone star said:

You all see Cravens as a guy that can get 6+ tackles a game? I know he's good in coverage, but do you all think he can come up and be effective against the run full-time?

I couldn't care less about his tackle numbers. He is the only viable option this team has to cover tight ends.

Just now, Slateman said:

You can in this instance. There is no question about his talent. The question is whether or not the team will take him back.

No you can't.  No player is going to dismiss a player from a team.  The NFLPA would throw a fit.  These guys look out after each other's financial well being.  You'd be putting the Captains in an impossible situation.  

You could have the Captains meet privately with the front office and get their opinions, but ultimately the move to dismiss Cravens would have to come from the front office.  

Archived