Su'a Cravens to return to Redskins? Or another team?

MikeT14

On 12/15/2017 at 8:40 PM, Slateman said:

But NCOs can go and request/advise that the individual be moved somewhere else.  And as someone who served on an NCO review board, CO's often turn over responsibilities and delegate authorities in regards to personnel performance and corrective actions. 

If the team captains offer a kangaroo court, then there is no purpose in having team captains. I'm not asking that they get authorized to make all the personnel decisions. I'm saying this particular question is unique and needs to be made by the team, not the front office.

Cravens returning to the team has three questions:

1. Is he ready/capable of returning? This has already been answered.

2. Is he willing to put in the work going forward? This question is irrelevant,  as the Redskins are not on the cusp of making the playoffs. They can afford to bring him into camp next season and work him/play him and determine his commitment.

3. Will the team accept him, after leaving the team so suddenly last season? This is the question that only the team can answer, and only the team captains (assuming they are actually team leaders) can organize and ultimately decide.

So while the front office will have the final say, they will simply execute on whatever the team captains decide.

Again...see bolded. 

Bolded #1 = as soon as they turn over one, they will be essentially turning over all from then on. Because after that, every case will suddenly be "unique". Yes, the F.O. will take what they find out from the team "pulse" under advisement, but they are the ultimate deciders in what to do with Su'a. Not Trent Williams, et al.

Bolded #2 = ahem. As I said. If the team captains come to the coach and say "keep him", the F.O. can simply disagree and move on from him. Now I agree that the F.O. will certainly keep the recommendations under advisement in this situation. But they are under no obligation to go by what the team captains decide. You are asking that the F.O. simply turn over all decision making on Cravens to his teammates. I'm telling you that is not a good idea long term. The F.O. should take the team assessment under advisement. But then should make their decision. They should not abrogate it and punt to the TC's

@Thaiphoon You are right in what you are saying, like usual but I do think/hope that if TWill, Kerrigan, Swearinger and Norman decide they want to give Su’a a shot to earn their trust back next offseason that the FO will give him a shot too. I thought I remembered TWill and Cousins vouching for him in late August/early September already so I’d have to think if Su’a wants back that the team will give him a shot.

He was wearing his Redskins gear at the Lakers vs Philadelphia game on Friday night. So, it seems he’s ready to return.

His avatar on twitter is now of him in his Redskins Jersey too. 

On 12/13/2017 at 3:04 AM, turtle28 said:

Interesting turn of events, So is this forum siding with Snyder & Allen on this eventhough we truly don’t know why Cravens was gone?

It's not so much aligning with Snyder & Allen as I'm not sure Cravens has any credibility given that he never gave any realistic excuse/reason for quitting prior to now.

On 12/13/2017 at 5:39 PM, turtle28 said:

Two can play that game, you’re assuming he won’t make the effort. 

Will Compton, for all his limitations in terms of ability, tries. While he might not be able to get to the runner in time to prevent a first down, he's trying. He gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to effort.

Su'a Cravens quit right before the season began. Thus, he does not get the benefit of the doubt because he did not try.

On 12/14/2017 at 11:01 PM, MKnight82 said:

No you can't.  No player is going to dismiss a player from a team.  The NFLPA would throw a fit.  These guys look out after each other's financial well being.  You'd be putting the Captains in an impossible situation.  

You could have the Captains meet privately with the front office and get their opinions, but ultimately the move to dismiss Cravens would have to come from the front office.  

How a proper franchise would approach this:

"Gentlemen [meaning the captains], the question on the table is this: would the locker room accept Cravens were he to come back and play? He will be treated as a rookie, so no playing time whatsoever would be guaranteed; he'd have to earn his way back up the ladder. However, would the team even want him to try?

Realize that we have the final say and that it the coaching staff and front office staff haven't yet begun to deliberate as to whether we bring him back. That said, your collective opinion will determine if we even bother. Does the locker room want him back? Would they accept him back?"

8 hours ago, Woz said:

Will Compton, for all his limitations in terms of ability, tries. While he might not be able to get to the runner in time to prevent a first down, he's trying. He gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to effort.

Su'a Cravens quit right before the season began. Thus, he does not get the benefit of the doubt because he did not try.

So we think. We don’t know the whole story.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So we think. We don’t know the whole story.

The story we know is what has been reported for months. He had a knee injury. Now, I only got a B+ in my Anatomy class in college, but I'm pretty sure a meniscus injury doesn't put a player in the concussion protocol.

Again, I've laid out why this tack by him and his agent is not believable. His agent wouldve made sure he was on IR rather than Reserve-Left Team list if he had a brain injury at the time he quit. 

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

The story we know is what has been reported for months. He had a knee injury. Now, I only got a B+ in my Anatomy class in college, but I'm pretty sure a meniscus injury doesn't put a player in the concussion protocol.

Again, I've laid out why this tack by him and his agent is not believable. His agent wouldve made sure he was on IR rather than Reserve-Left Team list if he had a brain injury at the time he quit. 

Again, that’s just what reporters are reporting. The organization nor Cravens or his representatives made much of a comment about it in September.

I did hear yesterday on ESPN980 that it is true that Cravens was dealing with some concussion issues as well as his knee injury.

So, it doesn’t seem that he and his representatives just made that up.

I really don’t care what anyone says or why he may of left. If the guy can help us I want him.

The Steelers and Browns stood by two pro bowl caliber WRs with far worse issues than Cravens’ aloofness. We’d be extremely stupid to not give him a shot to prove he wants to be here in the offseason.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I did hear yesterday on ESPN980 that it is true that Cravens was dealing with some concussion issues as well as his knee injury.

So, it doesn’t seem that he and his representatives just made that up.

No. He wasn't. If he was, then his agent wouldve filed a grievance in September when the team put him on the Left Team list. No agent worth his salt wouldve let his player go 3 months with no pay when he was entitled to be put on IR.

So, yes. If I'm on the jury, I find this unbelievable at best.

Google "Ockham's Razor" for why.

This latest excuse is just that.

What is irritating and perhaps suspicious, the video of Su'a talking to Compton prior to him leaving. His heart was not in the game. He was still practicing and really just wanted to wait till he made the team to leave it. Not quite PTSD from Concussion issues. Sorry, not buying it. 

From an agents standpoint, aint NO WAY he is going to recommend his client leave the team and not get paid. Cause if his client is not getting paid, then he is not getting paid. NO AGENT will ever advise a client to leave a team and not earn a paycheck. Nothing will convince me otherwise. 

Concussion and Knee injuries are treatable and he should have been in touch with the trainers to resolve this. The fact that he quit on the team prior to the regular season after the roster was set, put the team in a big hole at SS. The video of Compton talking to him did not signify any issues of his concussion or knee injuries, and more signified he was more homesick than anything. 

I dont trust him. I dont like bringing him back under the assumption that he has earned a spot. I think he has to prove that he wants to be here and wants to play football. Put him on the PS or w/e list you can to keep his rights, and allow him to earn the spot back. He has to show trust. He has to show commitment. Until he does, I am very skeptical. 

If the dude can come and help this team win I take him. You’ve invested high draft capital you retain his rights and if he quits again why would any team take him after that. He’s your pick you still have his rights and with the emergence of Nicholson and Fuller we could really be onto something on the back end with a ILB to pair with Brown and a stud 1st round DL to add to Allen, Greek, Lanier and the depth. I haven’t checked around at FA playerscoming up this year because the only free agents I’m really looking at are our own but if we could upgrade our depth on DL and get a stud ILB and DL early in this draft I’d be down.

I still say it doesn’t hurt the team to give him a shot but to make no promises that he’s competing for a starting spot or even that he’ll make the team.

He should basically be treated like an undrafted rookie who has to come in and earn the respect back of his teammates, coaches and the front office.

But if two guys can come back and play for their teams who were suspended for an entire season - and in Josh Gordon’s case 3 seasons - then we’d be complete idiots to not give Sua a chance.

Hell, we gave Tanard Jackson two chances to make the team after being constantly suspended for failing drug tests and he was probably going to be our starting FS in 2012 until he failed another one!

5 hours ago, mike23md said:

What is irritating and perhaps suspicious, the video of Su'a talking to Compton prior to him leaving. His heart was not in the game. He was still practicing and really just wanted to wait till he made the team to leave it. Not quite PTSD from Concussion issues. Sorry, not buying it. 

From an agents standpoint, aint NO WAY he is going to recommend his client leave the team and not get paid. Cause if his client is not getting paid, then he is not getting paid. NO AGENT will ever advise a client to leave a team and not earn a paycheck. Nothing will convince me otherwise. 

Concussion and Knee injuries are treatable and he should have been in touch with the trainers to resolve this. The fact that he quit on the team prior to the regular season after the roster was set, put the team in a big hole at SS. The video of Compton talking to him did not signify any issues of his concussion or knee injuries, and more signified he was more homesick than anything. 

I dont trust him. I dont like bringing him back under the assumption that he has earned a spot. I think he has to prove that he wants to be here and wants to play football. Put him on the PS or w/e list you can to keep his rights, and allow him to earn the spot back. He has to show trust. He has to show commitment. Until he does, I am very skeptical. 

This is what I've been saying. There's not only ZERO chance an agent would allow this and not do something for 3-4 months, the chance is actually LESS than ZERO that they would.

Archived