The Offseason

Acgott

I'm with you for not spending on Mckinney because he got paid a ton but to pay 150mil to a 8 sack a year player is embarrassing and 1 of the many reasons why we won't be winning superbowls for a long time. Even spending on Barkley was a smart move to pass but having Barkley and Mckinney is way better the Burns at around the same number.  The Giants prove they have no loyalty to there top players

• 2 weeks later...

Our QB situation is not ideal. However, we need to get out of thinking that Daniel Jones is Zach Wilson or Mac Jones. We saw what he was capable of in his contract year under Dabs with a really bad WR situation and a bad OL (that just managed to stay relatively healthy). I'm hoping all this talk about QBs and the Giants obvious, well documented attempt to move up for Maye lights a fire under him like it did in 2022 and Jones comes out ready to play this year. He's got weapons now; he's got a #1 receiver, which he's never had. We could be really bad this year and have a top-5 pick, but I could see us fighting for a playoff spot and easily finishing with a winning record just as easily. It all depends on how much the OL can improve and how healthy our important players stay.

One of the notes Schoen made on Nabers was how he played through injuries. You can see a few games last year where his left ankle was taped pretty heavily, and he still played and produced. I think acquiring tough players who have a history of not missing games was an emphasis this season after what happened last season, both in free agency and in the draft.

• Like 1

I just watched through some of the games at the end of the season last year. Wan'Dale Robinson was easily, far and away, our best offensive player at the end of last year. He looked really, really good. I hope he's able to carry that over to this season.

16 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I just watched through some of the games at the end of the season last year. Wan'Dale Robinson was easily, far and away, our best offensive player at the end of last year. He looked really, really good. I hope he's able to carry that over to this season.

It's also disgusting how much Hyatt was getting separation and seemed like Tyrod was the only one who would look for him. 

In regards to Jones I can only hope he takes a big step up.  It's year six the dude has only played one full season, has thrown over 3K twice (barely) and over 20TD's once. Maybe Nabers makes a huge difference but his NFL stats/avgs are very on par with his college stats. If somehow he does elevate his play will be interesting to see what the conversation becomes with 2025. His cap hit isn't ridiculous at $41M (would put him 9th as of right now). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

It's also disgusting how much Hyatt was getting separation and seemed like Tyrod was the only one who would look for him. 

In regards to Jones I can only hope he takes a big step up.  It's year six the dude has only played one full season, has thrown over 3K twice (barely) and over 20TD's once. Maybe Nabers makes a huge difference but his NFL stats/avgs are very on par with his college stats. If somehow he does elevate his play will be interesting to see what the conversation becomes with 2025. His cap hit isn't ridiculous at $41M (would put him 9th as of right now). 

Jones is what he is at this point. He can have a good game, but never going to be consistent top 10. He’s coming off an ACL injury, who knows how good is running will be this year. Giants need to be clearly in the playoff race on November 1, for him not to be benched, no matter how good he was doing.

19 hours ago, Shockwave said:

If we are looking forward to 2025, when it comes to Jones, I'm most worried about his injury guarantee. The absolute worst case would be him getting another neck injury early in the year. In that case, we probably never see him play again AND we'd be on the hook for his $41M next year.

• 2 weeks later...

At first, this seemed like Darius Slayton insurance but it may more directly impact Isaiah Hodgins. Hodgins is a likable guy but he's kind of a wasted resource as a low ceiling WR5. You might as well have that be a vet who can mentor and step in when needed.

1 hour ago, GMENNATION said:

At first, this seemed like Darius Slayton insurance but it may more directly impact Isaiah Hodgins. Hodgins is a likable guy but he's kind of a wasted resource as a low ceiling WR5. You might as well have that be a vet who can mentor and step in when needed.

It’s neither. He has averaged 300 yards over the past 3 seasons. It’s just a veteran body during camp, he’ll be cut in September.

• Like 1

Sure, the most likely scenario is obviously that he's cut..... but there is an easy argument to be made to keep him over Isaiah Hodgins. Their production is effectively the same over the last 2 seasons. Robinson would cost about $200K more than Hodgins if he's on vet minimum. 

On paper, it's a basic toss-up of what player would you rather have.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Acgott said:

It’s neither. He has averaged 300 yards over the past 3 seasons. It’s just a veteran body during camp, he’ll be cut in September.

I love you bro... but... you really need to stop posting in absolutes like this. It's one thing to say " I doubt" "I don't think" ... but you've been posting on so many topics like you have an inside source on the matters... 

Edited by Shockwave