Devin Hester Announces Retirement

AFlaccoSeagulls

10 hours ago, rudyZ said:

What's the real need for any line?

The HALL OF FAME is by definition a line.

Again, it's the second time I ask, does it really matter that someone who doesn't deserve it according to one person's opinion makes it into the HoF?

That's why you have a committee, voting, etc. 

Is it really that important? Does it taint the legacy of others who unanimously belong to the HoF?

It depends on who gets in/doesn't get in. Making the HOF means something. If we start over-saturating the Hall, then being a "Hall of Famer" loses it's luster.

To me, it doesn't. So loosen up the rules, I don't care.

I do care.

The debate as to whether TO should or shouldn't be in the HoF are ridiculous. He made the game greater with his presence, he deserves it.

No idea where this is coming from. Never at any point did I mention T.O, and besides that, comparing an every-down player who is Top 5 at his position in the entire history of the NFL to a special teamer who was not an every-down player is a strawman argument if I've ever seen one.

Hester made the game greater with his presence, let him in.

So did Ethan Albright. The guy was easily the best long snapper I've ever seen.

Steve Tasker is the best gunner in the history of the league.

We should go ahead and let Dante Hall and Josh Cribbs into the Hall of Fame as well as return men.

If he doesn't meet someone else's criteria, who cares? Is it really all that important?

Yes, it really is.

There really are bigger issues in life than who is or isn't in a Hall of Fame for a sport. You're making a really big deal out of something that means literally nothing to my life. To me, the Hall of Fame is a celebration of a game I love. It doesn't mean anything more. I don't stay awake at night crying the exclusion of my favorites. But I enjoy the ceremony of it, the celebration of a former player's career, I love the speech, the stories, the emotions. When I imagine Devin Hester being inducted, I see a ceremony and speech I'd enjoy seeing, because he had a career worth celebrating. Let's have a special induction of elite special teamers, let's have Hester, Tasker, Albright special ceremony, and let's celebrate something that is part of the game, therefore should be celebrated by its Hall of Fame. I don't actually care. I just find it rather funny when people get emotional about the hall of fame and its inductees.

18 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

This is a rather overly simplistic way to view him. Let’s not act that TDs are the only thing that matters. 

Hester vs Moss, Owens and all the others that are waiting to get in. Great returner. Not involved in enough plays. So he made people kick out of bounds, that’s hardly gameplanning around. 

11 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Hester vs Moss, Owens and all the others that are waiting to get in. Great returner. Not involved in enough plays. So he made people kick out of bounds, that’s hardly gameplanning around. 

And neither are kickers or punters. They seem to have a place in the HOF. Let’s also dismiss field position, guess that doesn’t matter.

19 hours ago, rudyZ said:

There really are bigger issues in life than who is or isn't in a Hall of Fame for a sport.

Obviously. I never said otherwise.

You're making a really big deal out of something that means literally nothing to my life.

You’re the one making it a big deal. My original point was that other special teamers are just as deserving. You’re the one who quoted a single sentence of the entire framework of my post and took it out of context twisting my point.

To me, the Hall of Fame is a celebration of a game I love. It doesn't mean anything more.

Same. It still by definition is an exclusive club that shouldn’t be watered down.

I don't stay awake at night crying the exclusion of my favorites.

Me either.

But I enjoy the ceremony of it, the celebration of a former player's career, I love the speech, the stories, the emotions.

Absolutely.

When I imagine Devin Hester being inducted, I see a ceremony and speech I'd enjoy seeing, because he had a career worth celebrating.

Sure. He’s just not a HOF in my mind. I won’t argue if he gets in either.

Let's have a special induction of elite special teamers, let's have Hester, Tasker, Albright special ceremony, and let's celebrate something that is part of the game, therefore should be celebrated by its Hall of Fame.

That was part of my entire point. If Hester gets in so should they.

I don't actually care. I just find it rather funny when people get emotional about the hall of fame and its inductees.

I haven’t gotten emotional about this but obviously you can’t see it. You don’t know me so don’t pretend to.

You decided to take a single sentence out of context and make rediculous assumptions. In the future refrain from doing so.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Obviously. I never said otherwise.

You’re the one making it a big deal. My original point was that other special teamers are just as deserving. You’re the one who quoted a single sentence of the entire framework of my post and took it out of context twisting my point.

Same. It still by definition is an exclusive club that shouldn’t be watered down.

Me either.

Absolutely.

Sure. He’s just not a HOF in my mind. I won’t argue if he gets in either.

That was part of my entire point. If Hester gets in so should they.

I haven’t gotten emotional about this but obviously you can’t see it. You don’t know me so don’t pretend to.

You decided to take a single sentence out of context and make rediculous assumptions. In the future refrain from doing so.

You're the one maniacally dissecting my posts to argue every single point... you do seem a lot more invested in this then I am. That's why I say you're making a bigger deal about this than I do. My point being: I don't actually care who is and isn't in the hall of fame. It's literal apathy. How can apathy be considered "making a big deal"? Isn't it literally the opposite?

ANd I'm not making any assumption about you. Honestly, I haven't even looked at your username yet, I don't even care who I'm talking to, and that's true of most of my posts. I took one single sentence out of a post, must have been yours, because that's one sentence that triggered a response from me. It's not personal. I'm not taking a single sentence to twist your words. I'm not even necessarily in opposition to that single sentence, whatever it is (and I'm not even going to scroll up to see the origin of all this), because it's not important. I'm not singling you out or attacking your opinion. Even when I added the bit about people getting emotional about the hall of fame, it wasn't even directed at you. It was directed at, guess what, "people". I used the word people to remain vague, it was meant to be clearly not specific. It wasn't directed at you. Just at those for whom the hat fits. If it doesn't fit you, then don't take it personally. No need to dissect my post to tell me I'm being ridiculous. Well, I am ridiculous, but probably not for the reasons you think. 

I won't refrain to say whatever I might eventually say to you... simply because I won't remember you. And it's not because of you specifically. I just don't look at usernames. It's never personal. I was just making an argument, all of which wasn't directly meant to counter yours. I just tend to digress. If you were annoyed by me, I apologize (I'm canadian, after all). But honestly, it doesn't mean much, since I still don't care.

I didn't even know Hester was still playing.  As a fan of another NFC North team that had to face him twice a year for a long time, I have a ton of respect for him.  He is the best kick returner I've ever seen, and his return for a TD on the opening play of the Super Bowl is a play that is one of the most memorable ever.  That one just took my breath away because everyone was thinking he "could" do it.  The defense had to be preparing like crazy for him and he just went ahead and housed them anyway.  Simply amazing!

Archived