Will Andre Johnson make the HOF?

UKTexans

Is Andre Johnson worthy of the HOF?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Andre Johnson worthy of the HOF?

• Absolutely
    • Hall of very Good
    • Not even close

Discussion raised in the "Texans Ring of Fame" thread, just curious of people's opinions on 'Dre.

Career Statistics:

7 x Pro Bowls

2 x 1st team All-Pro

1,062 receptions (11th All Time)

14,185 yards (11th All Time)

70 touchdowns (40th All Time)

According to PFR he had a career akin to Andre Reed*, Tim Brown* and Steve Smith (albeit with far less team success).

*Hall of Fame

I personally think he is struggling, he never really had a year when he was unquestionably the #1 WR in the NFL, however, he was in the discussion longer than most.

I personally don't think he's first ballot, and I think he's got a lot of guys ahead of him (Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss). But I think it would be foolish to think he won't EVER get in. Probably 3rd or 4th ballot.

The voters like to be part of history themselves, and voting in the first player from the last expansion team would be their contribution to history...so he might vault some guys who probably deserve to get in beforehand (I'm looking at you, TO...)

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I personally don't think he's first ballot, and I think he's got a lot of guys ahead of him (Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss). But I think it would be foolish to think he won't EVER get in. Probably 3rd or 4th ballot.

The voters like to be part of history themselves, and voting in the first player from the last expansion team would be their contribution to history...so he might vault some guys who probably deserve to get in beforehand (I'm looking at you, TO...)

No way TO is still sitting there in 5 years!

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

I hope not, TO needed to be a first ballot guy. This being said, the voters are a fickle bunch.

This is true.

Honestly,  if I was him I would just straight up boycott the HOF if it took that long.

It may be a while, if he gets in. Here's some guys off the top of my head who I feel could potentially get in before him, not saying I feel some of these guys deserve to. 

* is beside players who could retire in the next few years and would be clump together with Johnson

TO, Moss, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald*, Hines Ward, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Anquan Boldin*, Brandon Marshall*

2 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

It may be a while, if he gets in. Here's some guys off the top of my head who I feel could potentially get in before him, not saying I feel some of these guys deserve to. 

* is beside players who could retire in the next few years and would be clump together with Johnson

TO, Moss, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald*, Hines Ward, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Anquan Boldin*, Brandon Marshall*

If you think there is max 1 maybe 2 per year you got to think some of those guys will still be around when Andre is eligible, then in future years you will have guys who are active now you may have surpassed him. 

42 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

If you think there is max 1 maybe 2 per year you got to think some of those guys will still be around when Andre is eligible, then in future years you will have guys who are active now you may have surpassed him. 

Yep, which is why I think he'll be in for a bit of a wait to get in the HOF. I feel like Andre Johnson is going to be a guy who we'll have to remind people of just how great he was. 

Eventually? Perhaps....but we have seen time and time again how the hall of fame treats wide receivers. The problem that will come for Johnson is that by the time I think he's getting serious consideration, there may be more recently retired receivers who get preference. 

I believe that Andre Johnson should make the HOF. Not in the first few years, but he should be put in. The voting should consider how good he was compared to his peers and at his peak, Andre Johnson was considered 1a/1b between him and Larry Fitzgerald (who I also believe should be in the HOF). I don't like the Texans, but I can easily say that Andre Johsnon was my favorite Texans player of all time. 

On 7/25/2017 at 1:07 PM, TitanSlim said:

I get that you are listing potential people, but I don't think Ward, Wayne, Boldin or Marshall have great chances at getting in. TO, Moss, CJ, Fitz and Smith likely get in (in my opinion) and I don't see a receiver getting in each year, which could make it difficult. Andre's chances are going to be largely dependent on how much of a backlog there will be.

Some other likely HOF possibilities include Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

Archived