Orioles Asking for Offers on Machado

mission27

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

I hate to say it, but St. Louis is easily the best fit as far as needing the player and for what they can offer.  They have the pitching that the O's want, and way more of it than either the Yanks or Sox.

Yeah maybe but do they want to go all in for a one year window given they still wouldn’t be the favorite in that division and probably can’t resign him?  

Just now, mission27 said:

Yeah maybe but do they want to go all in for a one year window given they still wouldn’t be the favorite in that division and probably can’t resign him?  

No idea.  Just stating that they are probably the best fit in baseball in terms of needing the player and for what they can realistically offer the O's.  They did trade for Heyward just a few years ago in almost an identical situation, and then offered him the biggest contract after the season.  This myth that they are a small market team needs to go away.  

Just now, hrubes20 said:

No idea.  Just stating that they are probably the best fit in baseball in terms of needing the player and for what they can realistically offer the O's.  They did trade for Heyward just a few years ago in almost an identical situation, and then offered him the biggest contract after the season.  This myth that they are a small market team needs to go away.  

Not small market but I also don’t know that they can offer a $400 million deal to compete with the likes of LA, NY, BOS and whoever.  Machado and Harper are going to be by far the biggest free agents in 15 years so it’s just different imo.

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Not small market but I also don’t know that they can offer a $400 million deal to compete with the likes of LA, NY, BOS and whoever.  Machado and Harper are going to be by far the biggest free agents in 15 years so it’s just different imo.

Seems unlikely, for sure.  But Machado isn't getting $400 million anyway, unless he really bounces back this year.  

30 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Seems unlikely, for sure.  But Machado isn't getting $400 million anyway, unless he really bounces back this year.  

Does he need to bounce back?

I felt/feel he was pretty unlucky last season. Basically all the lost value was in Batting Avg. (ISO and BB% pretty much the same). And that was due in large part to a BABIP drop of 30-40 points. However looking at batted ball data while LD were down that went to more ground balls, not fly balls so it shouldn't have affected it that much. And he was actually hitting the ball harder (Drop of 3points in soft contact, 1 in medium and a jump of 4 percentage points in hard contact). He also didn't really change his approach (consistent swing percentage and contact percentage and also consistent use of all fields).

Nothing shows any regression just bad luck.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

Does he need to bounce back?

I felt/feel he was pretty unlucky last season. Basically all the lost value was in Batting Avg. (ISO and BB% pretty much the same). And that was due in large part to a BABIP drop of 30-40 points. However looking at batted ball data while LD were down that went to more ground balls, not fly balls so it shouldn't have affected it that much. And he was actually hitting the ball harder (Drop of 3points in soft contact, 1 in medium and a jump of 4 percentage points in hard contact). He also didn't really change his approach (consistent swing percentage and contact percentage and also consistent use of all fields).

Nothing shows any regression just bad luck.

I'm not saying he's a worse player, but you're nuts if you think he can repeat his 2016 stat line and somebody is still going to give him $400 million.  

38 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm not saying he's a worse player, but you're nuts if you think he can repeat his 2016 stat line and somebody is still going to give him $400 million.  

My point is that it seems pretty unreasonable to think he can repeat 2016 as it was. If he repeats the peripherals his general stats go back to 2014-2015. If his general stats are the same his peripherals almost certainly dropped meaning he really didn't repeat 2016.

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

I sure as hell don't want to give up two arms, which is what they're rumored to be looking for...

We do match up the best though: out of division/league, have the SP prospects. We also have a strong past of trading for guys with 1 year left on their deal and then wooing them to re-sign (Holliday, Edmonds, Rolen, McGwire, etc.). However, that hasn't been the current FO's plan...

Long story short, I think we match-up well, but don't see the FO trading away key assets for 1 1 year rental that is a long shot to resign...

4 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I hate to say it, but St. Louis is easily the best fit as far as needing the player and for what they can offer.  They have the pitching that the O's want, and way more of it than either the Yanks or Sox.

The question really isn't can St. Louis offer the right combination of players, the question is would they?  And at this point, I'm not sure the Cardinals would be willing to do so.  They're not giving up Alex Reyes for a rental no matter how talented they are, and they're probably not giving up Luke Weaver either.  So their package likely starts with Jack Flaherty or Sandy Alcantara and works from there.

Send the Orioles Bogaerts and a couple prospects, hire David Ortiz to be Machado's best friend for the year, do the same for Rafael Devers, let Machado play SS, make him love Boston, boom.

RF Mookie Betts, R

LF Andrew Benintendi, L

SS Manny Machado, R

1B Eric Hosmer, L (please)

DH Hanley Ramirez, R

3B Rafael Devers, L

CF Jackie Bradley Jr., L

C Christian Vazquez, R

2B Marco Hernandez, L

Archived