Defensive Head Coach paired with rookie QB, is this not feasible?

General Tso

The league is becoming an offensive league and the trend has been to have an offensive playcalling HC be paired with a rookie QB. 

The problem with having a defensive HC is that the rookie QB will be paired with the OC. If the OC does well, you know he's getting a HC gig and then you have to hit on the replacement hire which isn't guaranteed. An example of this would be Buffalo, as Daboll left and they had to fire Dorsey when their season was in flux.

Yes Demeco is having success with Stroud right now, but Bobby Slowik is going to get a HC job if not this year, then probably the next, so you have to hit on the replacement.

3 minutes ago, General Tso said:

An example of this would be Buffalo, as Daboll left and they had to fire Dorsey when their season was in flux.

My biggest gripe was the Bills not casting a wide enough net to replace Daboll. Dorsey was a clear front runner and had the public support of Josh Allen. But they only interviewed like 3-4 people and two of them were essentially "no names".

This time around, Brady is the front runner to have the tag removed but I hope they do some real due diligence to see if anyone else is out there. Lots of people should want the OC job.

As to the question at hand. You need to hope the QB develops quick enough that he can mostly overcome even a bad OC. It also helps if you can win the SB before the OC leaves lol

1 minute ago, General Tso said:

This is a good example. It looks like they found a good OC since Geno is solid even after Russ left.

Actually, Shane Waldron is absolute cheeks as an OC. Geno Smith's success can be attributed to Dave Canales, who is now the OC in Tampa and was the Seahawks QB coach last year with Geno.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Actually, Shane Waldron is absolute cheeks as an OC. Geno Smith's success can be attributed to Dave Canales, who is now the OC in Tampa and was the Seahawks QB coach last year with Geno.

Ah, yeah, I guess this contributes more to my original example then 😎Statistically he was better last year too.

I just don't see why an offensive HC has to be paired with a rookie QB to ensure their development. Whatever their background, they're going to have specific staff coaching every position on either side of the ball. Head coaches are too busy to focus on a QB's development above everything else. Did McDermott develop Allen? Do we have Harbaugh to thank for Lamar? The OC will work with the QB, the quarterback coach will work with the QB, that's going to be the case whether the head coach is offensive-minded, defensive-minded, or special teams-minded.

I hate pairing a rookie QB with a defensive coach, though I should specify "high ceiling rookie QB".

It's already been mentioned by TC that it's that much harder to retain an OC that succeeds with a rookie QB. Beyond that though, defensive head coaches tend to favor defense and rushing and absolutely had incompletions and ints, to the point that they end up coaching dynamic playmaking out of the player. Making them more afraid and hesitant to take shots and live with the risks associated with them.  If you're drafting a playmaker type at QB you need to embrace that risk a bit instead of smothering it.

If you want a rookie QB to pair with a defensive hc I feel like your much better off with a mid to late round guy with lesser physical traits that is less of a playmaker and more of a check down distributor type.

Cam Newton with Ron Rivera
Russell Wilson with Pete Carroll
Ben Roethlisberger with Bill Cowher
Tom Brady with Bill Belichick
Matt Ryan with Mike Smith
Andy Dalton with Marvin Lewis
Lamar / Flacco with ST background John Harbaugh

Staley was a flop as HC, but his defensive background didn't hamper Justin Herbert's ascension.

edit again: Rex Ryan with Mark Sanchez got to back to back AFC championships and Mark Sanchez didn't "take the next step" once he changed coaches or anything. I'd count that as success, but not ideal I guess?

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

The basic problem with defensive HCs instead of offensive HCs is that defensive coaches are much more likely to meddle with the offense than offensive coaches are to meddle with the defense.

We've seen numerous examples of defensive coaches wanting the offense to play more ball control so they can play better defense, but offensive coaches mostly just want their defense to get more stops than the other defense does.  Any particular coach can avoid this sort of thing, but you it's sort of a systemic problem because you can play offense in a way that helps the defense but the other way around really doesn't work. 

If the guy can coach, I want him. If he can playcall, even better. But I want a head coach who’ll be a good head coach, first and foremost. 

If I have a great HC but have to find coordinators every now and again, then I’m content with having a great HC.