Leisher's 2018 Packers Mock #3

jleisher

AG#20's mock with salary cap was outstanding, kudo's to him, thanks!  Mine will not be as fancy.  My player information comes from waltersfootball.com.

Released:  Matthews, Cobb and Bulaga.  If any agree to restructure, then fine.  

Resigned:  Adams, Linsley, Burnett, Evans, Allison, McCray, House, Rodgers, Dial and Janis.

Free Agents:  Carlos Hyde RB 49ers (Hyde, Williams and Jones is be the backfield. Hyde offers vet leadership to the group.) (Montgomery can't stay health either released or switched back to WR.)

Scott Tolzien QB Colts (Vet #3 QB, knows the system and could come cheap.  Only draft a QB if Hundley is traded.)

Troy Niklas TE Cardinals (Younger TE with promise and could be had cheap.)

Coaches Fired:  Alex Van Pelt QB (Why?  Hundley wasn't ready, that falls on him and MM.  MM isn't going any where.)  Hired:  Ben McAdoo is rehired for his old job and Asst. HC title.

Ron Zook ST (Why?  We all know why.)  Hired:  Rod Wilson Asst. ST Chiefs,  I would like his boss Dave Toub (Spelling?) former Bears STC.

Winston Moss LB (Why?  The LBers group have not played up to teams needs.)  Hired:  Jim Haslett LBC Bengals.  (Bengals staff will be let go at the end of the season)

Dom Capers DC (Why?  Again, we all know why.  The defense has been below average for the past 4-5 years.)

Hired:  Vic Fangio as DC Asst. HC,  The switch would be easier the defensive players.  (Would consider Whitt and Perry as well.)

Draft:                 #17.  Josh Allen OLB/ILB  Kentucky  ("Impressive edge rusher who can play inside as well.")

#49.  Joshua Jackson CB  Iowa ("Dangerous ballhawk, 18 passes broken up and 7 Ints.)

#81.  Jamarco Jones T  Ohio St. ("Balanced player, solid blind side protector,  Can also move inside if needed.")  The OL rebuild is finished.  Bak-Taylor-Linsley-Spriggs-Jones.

#113.  David Sills WR  W.Virginia   ("Excellent red zone weapon, with size, hands and leaping ability.)

C.  Mike Deiter T  WI  ("Good size with some athleticism, better fit at G.")  WI can produce some good OLineman  Could offer depth to the OL with McCray, Murphy and Patrick.

#145.  Nik Needham CB  UTEP ("Impressive cover skills, outstanding technician who beats up WR at line of scrimmage. Good hands and ball skills.")  King-House-Jackson-Needham

C.  Dalton Schultz TE  Stanford ("Do it all Y TE, good route runner, excellent at catching the ball and really good blocker.")  Sounds like a Packers TE to me.

#177.  Mike McCrary OLB  Michigan ("Solid defender.")  Depth and ST guy.

C.  Hercules Mata'afa  DE/OLB  Washington ST.  ("Nose for the QB, 9.5 sacks with 2 forced fumbles.  DT that would have to switch to DE or OLB.") Development player.

c.  Jack Cichy OLB/ILB  WI  ("Tough defender, good vs the run and defensive leader.")  Watched this kid play, can get to the QB and plays with attitude.  Could see him replace Thomas.

Questions:  The Oline, Evans is resigned for 2018 to play RG to groom either Spriggs or Jones.  Spriggs has looked good at RT since his return, so Jones could be at RG in 2019.  Deiter, can play G or T, I think he can also play C, so that along with Patrick, McCray and Murphy offer depth.  QB, if they get a good offer for Hundley and trade him before the draft, then select a QB in the draft.  Tolzien offers insurance and act like a asst. coach.  Wouldn't be surprised if he does coach someday.   Haslett has also been a DC, adds to his value.  

This is pretty much worst case scenario.

You have like 60 million dollars in cap space and spend like 10 of it. You don't need to cut Clay, Cobb, and Bulaga at all if you're going to do this offseson. You have the money to make it happen without cutting those guys.

You're cutting Bulaga with plans to start either a rookie or an unproven guy on a rookie deal in Murphy/Spriggs. If you're not going to spend any money, why not keep Bulaga? If you're cutting him to get Demarcus Lawrence, that's one thing, but you're not doing that.

Why would Carlos Hyde be your biggest Free Agent get? Don't be afraid to dream a little bigger here. 

As for the draft:

Josh Allen is way undersized. Get one of the Clemson kids.

I don't really have an issue with Jackson other than we need to see how he runs.

If Jones has to be a Packer, he's a guard WAY WAY WAY more than Spriggs is, and Jones is pretty lousy.

I think you're optimistic as to where Sills is going.

Dieter is a solid pick for a utility OL but you've not got three decent guys on the bench. The depth is nice, but I feel like we're tripling down on this spot.

I like the rest of it, though I think you're optimistic on where guys are falling, and I'd be shocked if Cichy isn't going back to school.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I like the rest of it, though I think you're optimistic on where guys are falling, and I'd be shocked if Cichy isn't going back to school.

Heard today on local Madison radio that he is going to enter the draft and not seek a 6th year medical redshirt

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Heard today on local Madison radio that he is going to enter the draft and not seek a 6th year medical redshirt

58 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Well that blows.

No idea if it' true, but it sounded like he was headed to the draft vs petitioning NCAA for a 6th year.

16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This is pretty much worst case scenario.

You have like 60 million dollars in cap space and spend like 10 of it. You don't need to cut Clay, Cobb, and Bulaga at all if you're going to do this offseson. You have the money to make it happen without cutting those guys.

You're cutting Bulaga with plans to start either a rookie or an unproven guy on a rookie deal in Murphy/Spriggs. If you're not going to spend any money, why not keep Bulaga? If you're cutting him to get Demarcus Lawrence, that's one thing, but you're not doing that.

Why would Carlos Hyde be your biggest Free Agent get? Don't be afraid to dream a little bigger here. 

As for the draft:

Josh Allen is way undersized. Get one of the Clemson kids.

I don't really have an issue with Jackson other than we need to see how he runs.

If Jones has to be a Packer, he's a guard WAY WAY WAY more than Spriggs is, and Jones is pretty lousy.

I think you're optimistic as to where Sills is going.

Dieter is a solid pick for a utility OL but you've not got three decent guys on the bench. The depth is nice, but I feel like we're tripling down on this spot.

AG#20, I am never going to please you am I?  LOL!!!!  I don't care, this is all for fun anyways.  As for the OLine, I thought I made it clear that Evans would play RG for next year with Spriggs or Jones playing RG in 2019.  Oh well, anything possible!!  LOL!!!

11 hours ago, jleisher said:

AG#20, I am never going to please you am I?  LOL!!!!  I don't care, this is all for fun anyways.  As for the OLine, I thought I made it clear that Evans would play RG for next year with Spriggs or Jones playing RG in 2019.  Oh well, anything possible!!  LOL!!!

It all ultimately comes back to the FA call. Mom gave you $500 to spend at the toy store and you picked out a handful of 99 cent hotwheel cars and a pack of skittles. If you have the money, why not keep Bulaga, unless you think Evans, Spriggs, and Murphy are all better than he is?

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

The man is 28 years old. Why would he retire?

Even if he did, you only save 5.15 million, barring what would be a hellacious legal fight to get money back. 

Nahhh - not thinking about the money. Just seems like he already has a 50 year old body. Don't even really know why I think that to be honest

Just now, cannondale said:

Nahhh - not thinking about the money. Just seems like he already has a 50 year old body. Don't even really know why I think that to be honest

He came into the league as a kid in actual age. He was 21 his first year in the league. Everybody raves about how young Clark is, but Bulaga was that young at the time.

Bulaga's always looked like an old man though. He's got an old man body and has had one since he was a rookie. It confuses the eye. Add in the fact he's played a crap ton of snaps and what he's missed, he's missed because of injury, and it paints the picture of a 33y/o guy.

He's got old man mileage, but he's physically not that old, and he's also an excellent natural athlete, clearly the most athletic guy on this line with all due respect to Bakhtiari who isn't a slouch. That plays a part. That natural athleticism slows the aging process down. Obviously not nearly the same caliber but you look at a guy like Peppers, who still can play at 67 years old and it gives you some hope for a guy like Bulaga. 

Archived