New OC Candidates - Workin towards Waldron (pg 18)

StLunatic88

16 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Seems like the common thread here is people who have been an NFL OC before and (presumably called plays in the NFL)...... This is the first guy I've heard that might not be on the shanahan tree/scheme though.

If he worked under mcvay, that would have him in the shanahan tree.

edit:  right?  Mcvay worked under papa shanny in Washington i thought.

3 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

If he worked under mcvay, that would have him in the shanahan tree.

edit:  right?  Mcvay worked under papa shanny in Washington i thought.

Yep. At one time WAS had Mike Shanahan as the HC, Kyle as the OC, MLF as the QB coach, McVay as the TE coach, and Mike McDaniel was an offensive assistant. Funny enough Bobby Slowik was a Defensive Assistant while his dad was the DB coach for WAS. CHI's current ST coordinator Hightower their ST assistant too.

Pretty good staff to start all together, right?

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Yep. At one time WAS had Mike Shanahan as the HC, Kyle as the OC, MLF as the QB coach, McVay as the TE coach, and Mike McDaniel was an offensive assistant. Funny enough Bobby Slowik was a Defensive Assistant while his dad was the DB coach for WAS. CHI's current ST coordinator Hightower their ST assistant too.

Pretty good staff to start all together, right?

It’s no Eberflus/alan Williams/getsy staff, but yeah it’s ok i guess.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

It’s no Eberflus/alan Williams/getsy staff, but yeah it’s ok i guess.

If they could just get Loggains back... he's the stepping stool to greatness they need.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Seems like the common thread here is people who have been an NFL OC before and (presumably called plays in the NFL)...... This is the first guy I've heard that might not be on the shanahan tree/scheme though.

He is firmly entrenched in the “Shanahan/McVay” offence…

Only concern I have with him is he came back from Kentucky to the Rams then decided he enjoyed coaching at Kentucky so much that he went back…obviously wouldn’t want him being one & done here but yeah another guy from that scheme with experience of not only designing the scheme but also calling plays.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Yes that and coaches who've worked under and run the wide zone 'Shanahan / McVay' offense or however you want to call it.

I may be overthinking this but to me this seems to be a sign that they may keep Fields due to the familiarity in schemes

If you're keeping him then you don't want to make him and the entire offense learn a completely different system

Or maybe they go rookie QB and Flus just likes the style of this particular offense the best 

But the feeling I get as of now is Fields will be back 

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Of the candidates we know, Waldron and Kubiak are the cream of the crop for me. Would be happy with either. 

Truthfully I think there is even a step between those two IMO…Waldron #1 then Kubiak #2 for me so far…Olson I really like but more as a QB coach under Waldron if possible because I think he is a great teacher but not as good a play caller…Cohen while he has play calling experience and has put up good numbers at Kentucky has never called plays in the pros.

The more I think about this search the more I think we are just trying to copy what Baltimore did last offseason...kept the vast majority of their rushing attack & pass pro intact but then bring in someone who can better design route concepts in the passing game, call plays at the right time and most importantly adjust when teams start to stop one thing to another...

49ers for example had 72 pass plays of over 20+ yards...Fields had 45 last year in a scheme that the passing attack clearly just didn't work...if you can play Fields with more talent into a scheme where they can get their talent open and downfield more then we could see the explosive offence Flus has wanted since he got here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Of the candidates we know, Waldron and Kubiak are the cream of the crop for me. Would be happy with either. 

Waldron is probably my top choice right now.

Kubiak intrigues me but I think a solid part of that intrigue is due to who his daddy is lol

8 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Bears also looking to interview Greg Olson  via gregg Gabriel 

That's candidate #4

If Olsen is signed then my 60/40 guess on drafting a new QB drops to 5/95 that Fields stays.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:36 PM, Madmike90 said:

Guys I hope we speak with...

Shane Waldron

Frank Smith

Mike LaFleur

Alex Van Pelt

Guys I think are more realistic...

Darrell Bevell

Klint Kubiak

Greg Olson

Zach Robinson/Jake Peetz

Dan Pitcher

Thomas Brown

Liam Cohen (Kentucky OC)

These for me are the best "Shanahan/McVey" guys out there just now.

Hopefully with Miami now out we make a play for Darrell Bevell to come in for an interview...

I think given the 4 guys we have already interviewed previous play calling experience is going to be a must and he seems to be one of the last guys left who fit both the scheme requirement and ticks that box...

LaFleur I am not sold on given his connections up north...Brown probably hasn't called plays for long enough...Peetz the same at LSU.

This is the sort of thing we need the new OC to be doing...

Slot to the left of the formation goes right across the formation at the snap and gives an easy throw short.

Outside receiver to the left for the formation is coming on a cross to the right holding the LBs and drawing the DBs to thinking the ball is going to the right...ends up being surrounded by 5 different defenders.

Schultz starts up field and fakes going to the corner which would make sense considering that would give a layed throw for Stroud with the slot short...crosser mid...TE to the corner deep...every rule in that defence tells them that is where the play is going...

The play action which gets Stroud out to the right also sells it and helps with the protection which is great so when Schultz breaks back to the left it is an easy throw with no one left out there to try and defend it...

Excellent play design & execution 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 9:39 PM, Madmike90 said:

He is firmly entrenched in the “Shanahan/McVay” offence…

Only concern I have with him is he came back from Kentucky to the Rams then decided he enjoyed coaching at Kentucky so much that he went back…obviously wouldn’t want him being one & done here but yeah another guy from that scheme with experience of not only designing the scheme but also calling plays.

I think he went back to Kentucky so he could call plays. I'm not sure why he left Kentucky to go back to the Rams in the first place, though...