Discussion on League Forum Activity on FootballsFuture

chisoxguy7

Hello users of the Fantasy Football -> Leagues subforum.

I'm sure many of us on this forum can attest to the fact that for a lot of the football season, with the exception of a couple of leagues. This board gets pretty dead. Why is this? Is this because nobody is really that close to each other? Are these leagues not competitive enough?

What are some ways that a league can increase participation in discussion? I love reading things like power rankings, matchup analyses, trade analyses, etc, however these things rarely get posted. I understand that they all take time to write, but it would be great if there was increased participation in this forum once the offseason has ended.

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t quite understand it either. I feel as though, unless you’re already in a league, nothing comes up here.

I’m trying to start a league. You’d figure there’d be at least one or two free dudes looking for more Fantasy. But nope.

I’m trying to do something to stir up attention. Check out my thread in the Fantasy forum.

25 minutes ago, One Punch Man said:

I don’t quite understand it either. I feel as though, unless you’re already in a league, nothing comes up here.

I’m trying to start a league. You’d figure there’d be at least one or two free dudes looking for more Fantasy. But nope.

I’m trying to do something to stir up attention. Check out my thread in the Fantasy forum.

Looked at it earlier on my phone, will give it a closer look a little later at my desk

On 1/3/2018 at 1:59 PM, One Punch Man said:

Most fantasy football seasons just ended.  Redraft leagues will have almost no activity for 7+ months.

Keeper and dynasty type league will likely go through 4-5 months of little activit as well.  

Just the nature of things, busy from mid /late July and into the early season, then tapers down.  Pretty dead for January through mid summer.

On 12/12/2017 at 12:55 PM, chisoxguy7 said:

Hello users of the Fantasy Football -> Leagues subforum.

I'm sure many of us on this forum can attest to the fact that for a lot of the football season, with the exception of a couple of leagues. This board gets pretty dead. Why is this? Is this because nobody is really that close to each other? Are these leagues not competitive enough?

What are some ways that a league can increase participation in discussion? I love reading things like power rankings, matchup analyses, trade analyses, etc, however these things rarely get posted. I understand that they all take time to write, but it would be great if there was increased participation in this forum once the offseason has ended.

So much of trade, matchup analysis is league setup dependent.   Scoring settings, starters, keepers vs redraft vs full dynasty vs salary cap/contracts, roster size, etc.

Trading Le'Veon Bell for OBJ is quite different in standard scoring redraft vs PPR dynasty.

32 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So much of trade, matchup analysis is league setup dependent.   Scoring settings, starters, keepers vs redraft vs full dynasty vs salary cap/contracts, roster size, etc.

Trading Le'Veon Bell for OBJ is quite different in standard scoring redraft vs PPR dynasty.

Of course. I wrote this with a more league specific mentality vs a general one. Discussion in most leagues here dies after week 1.

I think that the number of leagues in the forum hurt participation. I had a strong suspicion Kamara would be a top 3 rookie this year...but I was keeping that close to my vest out of concern that someone from within the forum would poach him. 

Lots of very smart, football savvy people on this site but I think people are so concerned about tipping their hand that it ruins discussion. 

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that the number of leagues in the forum hurt participation. I had a strong suspicion Kamara would be a top 3 rookie this year...but I was keeping that close to my vest out of concern that someone from within the forum would poach him. 

Lots of very smart, football savvy people on this site but I think people are so concerned about tipping their hand that it ruins discussion. 

Good point.  Though, most of the leagues through this site are not for $$, so less worried about tipping others off to players I like in those leagues.  

Though @chisoxguy7 did pick JuJu ahead of me in a league we are in after I picked him in a different league we are both in.....at least I got him in the $$ league.   He did crush the league there and made off with a lot of the prize $$.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Very true, there have been many times I have almost wrote something but thought better of it. The reason I've stayed on this site for over 10 years now is the knowledge of the posters. If I see something others may not, I dare not say it because I know with this group it won't be long before other's catch on.

1 hour ago, honolulu2786 said:

Very true, there have been many times I have almost wrote something but thought better of it. The reason I've stayed on this site for over 10 years now is the knowledge of the posters. If I see something others may not, I dare not say it because I know with this group it won't be long before other's catch on.

@honolulu2786

@squire12

Do you guys think a thread where, for example, the thread creator would invite private messages from other users, where he then in turn would repost those messages into the thread, anonymously, would help this?

16 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

@honolulu2786

@squire12

Do you guys think a thread where, for example, the thread creator would invite private messages from other users, where he then in turn would repost those messages into the thread, anonymously, would help this?

I think that it’s a good idea, but still flawed because of the competition factor. You generally would like certain players to remain low on the radar. Even if it is anonymous, it hypes certain guys. That is why you typically don’t see player rank threads until AFTER drafts take place. 

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that it’s a good idea, but still flawed because of the competition factor. You generally would like certain players to remain low on the radar. Even if it is anonymous, it hypes certain guys. That is why you typically don’t see player rank threads until AFTER drafts take place. 

Could always come up with some fake, but believable, opinions of my own to mix in. Kind of like wading through offseason and free agency NFL rumors on Twitter.

Maybe we are all taking this a little bit too seriously...and maybe we are being shortsighted. If you’re like me, you probably are in number fantasy leagues, some of which are money leagues and many of which are much more competitive than the leagues here. 

Maybe we should share our knowledge for the greater good of the forum...because though it may hurt us a bit here, it’d help us on the whole. I’m game if others are game. 

On 1/4/2018 at 11:06 PM, chisoxguy7 said:

@honolulu2786

@squire12

I think honestly the problem with any "news" or "strategy" post on here is that the internet and instant player news is COMPLETELY different than it was 10 years ago. There is literally no digging needed to find out even the most seemingly insignificant stat or analysis that you are using to determine certain moves. It seems redundant to post here when everyone is gonna use their own and mostly the same sources. Back in the day FF use to be the place I would go for a ton of news from many different sources, not anymore though cause there are so many outlets that do the same and instant. 

Archived