Blah's Player Spotlight

Blahstoise

To taint you from the wonderful hilarity that is my usual postings, I'm going to start a serious thread where each week I look from the coaches film and single out a player for critique/praise depending on how he does.

I'll try and do these either Thursday or Friday, thinking of Malcolm Jenkins first up against the Rams as he missed a few tackles and I'm intrigued to see what his entire game was like.

Suggestions welcome week to week.

2 hours ago, Blahman88 said:

Done the first three drives,, will save the Jenkins analysis for later in the week

We played Nickel 10 of the first 12 snaps, Dime the other two, even on the goaline. Zero trust in Goode

I think I heard in a podcast we played nickle or dime pretty much the entire game

Malcolm Jenkins v Los Angeles Rams

Stats

2 Tackles - 1 Assist - 3 Missed Tackles

1 Target - 1 Reception

Coverage

8 Man to Man - 17 Zone - 2 Blitzes

Position Splits

Strong Safety 33 - Free Safety 11 - Linebacker 3

I should have probably looked at someone who did more in the game, but with the defense playing Nickel 36 times out of 46 snaps, Malcolm had a big part to play in the running game and quite frankly struggled, with the Rams OL regularly getting to the next level and blocking him up.

Todd Gurley only had 13 carries and amassed 96 yards and two touchdowns, with us never playing three linebackers throughout the game, Jenkins was left in a difficult situation.

The only reception he gave up though came on a scramble drill down the right hand sideline, his coverage was good all day, unlike his tackling.

I've singled out this one play to show his discipline where covering off play-action.

gJLKfl4.pngUAZjRWk.png

feZ0P6f.png

Play action pass on the Rams third drive of the game, and hadn't really established the Todd Gurley running game as of yet and Jenkins played this perfectly, you can see on the second picture his eyes are focused on Kupp rather than the play action, watching the normal film it appears that he bites on the run hard, but you can see his head is looking straight at Kupp.

w2vspqC.png

oEFIlP9.png

Goff then comes into his vision and he drops into coverage, even before his man goes out onto his route. The play is designed to sneak Kupp out for an easy completion as a last resort, there are three routes running to the right of the field for the rollout, Jenkins cuts off the dump off with both receivers downfield double covered. Great defense called for the situation.

ahpU7nc.png

So all in all, Jenkins didn't see much thrown his way in the passing game, but the Eagles constant Nickel defense makes us vulnerable against the run as Jenkins gets pushed out of it too easily.

Archived