Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

If you read between the lines of what we haven't done in FA, then QB, OT and WR will be likely early targets in the draft. I still think DE is in play too. So is CB. 

This is exactly how I feel. The fact that even if they were to make a huge deal which clearly they aren’t unless you trade for Justin Jefferson and I don’t see it happening they have set themselves up to maximize on their draft position for the strengths of the class in QB,WR,OT. I’ve removed myself from the QB discussion because idc what or who they pick at this point just be right we all have our choice and I just hope we all end up right if we get their guy!!

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

When you take your personal feelings and projections out, you should see it differently.

We talked about the different scenarios including a rookie QB not being ready and having a vet start. You have to at least acknowledge that any vet that signed has a chance to start.

Again, I think you are naive if you think Mariota only thought he was a back-up when signing here. I'm sure he feels even stronger about that since Howell was traded.

I want absolutely nothing to do with that scenario, which makes me even more upset about signing Mariota. IMO, I would start the rookie QB under every circumstance, unless they are hurt. 

I’m not putting into any feelings into it at all. The guy started no games last year and completely sucked the year before. He’s not coming here to start. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I’m not putting into any feelings into it at all. The guy started no games last year and completely sucked the year before. He’s not coming here to start. 

I mean, to not even entertain the notion that he could start is just beyond me. I guess there shouldn't have been any performance incentives in his contract because he knew he wasn't going to start. It doesn't matter how many games he started the previous year or what he did before that.

Just for information purposes, if we go QB at 2, which is almost assuredly going to happen, who starts if the staff deems that rookie not ready to take the reigns of the offense? What happens if they look absolutely terrible in preseason? What does the team do?

Mariota is Tyrod to Herbert, Fitzpatrick to Tua, Eli to Daniel Jones. 

He’ll play as much or as little as the rookie’s preparedness warrants. If the rookie is ready to compete (and at least effectively protect himself) at the NFL level, Mariota may never take a snap. If they think the rookie needs some mental reps before going in, those actual snaps will obviously go to Mariota. 

Everything they do now — and have done since the end of the season, hopefully — is focused on maximizing the chances that that player they draft at #2 becomes a star. No one cares about Mariota, he’s just a veteran QB with a pulse. Someone who can be a sounding board for the rookie and help him see the game from inside, and who can take some semi-respectable snaps. As many or as few as the rookie’s development needs him to. 

My guess is Mariota ends up starting no games, unless the rookie gets hurt. I think folks are overselling how much Maye/Daniels *need to* sit. As long as they get these issues at OT ironed out, I think they’re sufficiently prepared to defend themselves from day one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I mean, to not even entertain the notion that he could start is just beyond me. I guess there shouldn't have been any performance incentives in his contract because he knew he wasn't going to start. It doesn't matter how many games he started the previous year or what he did before that.

Just for information purposes, if we go QB at 2, which is almost assuredly going to happen, who starts if the staff deems that rookie not ready to take the reins of the offense? What happens if they look absolutely terrible in preseason? What does the team do?

Every player has performance incentives in their contract 

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Russell Wilson is an ******* 

So is Marcus Mariota...

We can do this all day. Russell Wilson at the vet minimum is better in every way than Marcus Mariota at 6M gtd and up to 10M with incentives. Deny it all you want, Mariota has a legit chance of starting.

38 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Mariota is Tyrod to Herbert, Fitzpatrick to Tua, Eli to Daniel Jones. 

He’ll play as much or as little as the rookie’s preparedness warrants. If the rookie is ready to compete (and at least effectively protect himself) at the NFL level, Mariota may never take a snap. If they think the rookie needs some mental reps before going in, those actual snaps will obviously go to Mariota. 

Everything they do now — and have done since the end of the season, hopefully — is focused on maximizing the chances that that player they draft at #2 becomes a star. No one cares about Mariota, he’s just a veteran QB with a pulse. Someone who can be a sounding board for the rookie and help him see the game from inside, and who can take some semi-respectable snaps. As many or as few as the rookie’s development needs him to. 

My guess is Mariota ends up starting no games, unless the rookie gets hurt. I think folks are overselling how much Maye/Daniels *need to* sit. As long as they get these issues at OT ironed out, I think they’re sufficiently prepared to defend themselves from day one.

Mariota playing any snaps for this team is an absolute loss IMO.

You can't say that no one cares about Mariota because he was brought here on a (maximum) 10M contract. If we were just signing any QB with a pulse, wouldn't we have gone with the cheapest option? They needed a fall-back option since they knew they were going to try to trade Sam Howell. If the rookie isn't ready or gets hurt, they want someone they were "comfortable" with.

Again, I fully anticipate the plan is for the rookie QB to start right away, but on the off chance he doesn't or isn't ready, having Mariota out there is worst case scenario in my mind.

7 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

You can't say that no one cares about Mariota because he was brought here on a (maximum) 10M contract. If we were just signing any QB with a pulse, wouldn't we have gone with the cheapest option? They needed a fall-back option since they knew they were going to try to trade Sam Howell. If the rookie isn't ready or gets hurt, they want someone they were "comfortable" with.

Again, I fully anticipate the plan is for the rookie QB to start right away, but on the off chance he doesn't or isn't ready, having Mariota out there is worst case scenario in my mind.

If they go Daniels they should draft and stash Milton. I agree Mariota is about as bad as it gets. He’s like the gen one mobile QB in a gem 5 era 🤣🤣🤣. I hate to be that guy but watching him throw in college was painful I can just imagine what it looks like in this era of football

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

9 draft picks is 20% of your active game-day roster.  Most of our FAs are 1-2 year deals, spread out amongst different positions.  They are setting themselves up BPA, and when these draft picks hit their stride, the rentals are gone.  

The talent level, while not great, has also been raised overall with some of the players we are bringing in.  

Yup. This is 100% how I'm looking at this whole thing so far.

50 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Sorry, I didn’t say that very well. When I say “no one cares about Mariota,” what I mean is they don’t care about what he wants or why he came here. He got paid decent backup QB money (less than we paid Brissett last year) to be the guy who fills in the gaps for the rookie as needed. If he’s hoping for more than that, that’s cool and all — but nobody cares about that. He’s a placeholder.

Just based on the two guys they apparently targeted, I’m speculating that they want someone who has dealt with the spotlight of being a top pick/franchise savior. There’s some value in that life experience, and I think that’s part of what they paid for. And I do think they wanted someone who is at least a vaguely credible guy to put out there as a starter if they have to.

I don’t share the overwhelming antipathy towards Mariota that lots of people here seem to feel. I think he sucks at football, but I think almost every player who would willingly have taken this gig is pretty bad at football at this stage of their career.

Honestly, on some level at least, I’d kinda love it if Mariota started through October and we were like 1-6 or something when we inserted the kid. Then our young gun could have a nice little second half run and we’d still be in position to potentially scoop a franchise LT or pass-rusher.

….but I don’t think that will be the case. I think the kid plays and Mariota continues his transition to coaching or media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Russell Wilson at the vet minimum is better in every way than Marcus Mariota

I think Russell Wilson is the wrong comp.  Russell Wilson took the Pittsburgh job so he could be a starter.  He wouldn't come here to backup the rookie.

We should have been looking at any solid vet to take the job of backing up the rookie here.  More like Winston, Lock, Trubisky.  Mariota is the scourge of this offseason.  

• Like 1

Just now, offbyone said:

I think Russell Wilson is the wrong comp.  Russell Wilson took the Pittsburgh job so he could be a starter.  He wouldn't come here to backup the rookie.

We should have been looking at any solid vet to take the job of backing up the rookie here.  More like Winston, Lock, Trubisky.  Mariota is the scourge of this offseason. 

To be fair, they never declared that Russell Wilson would be the starter there. If not for Kenny Pickett's temper tantrum they probably have an open QB competition. Now they most likely are in the QB market in the draft.

The Russell Wilson comp is because it made the most sense for the staff that we have and what they plan to do offensively. Any QB would be better than Mariota in my opinion. I honestly would take Carson Wentz back over Mariota. I don't think Mariota is a good teammate and absolutely don't want him in the ear of my QBotF. On top of that, I absolutely don't want him to see the field for any reason.

19 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I honestly would take Carson Wentz back over Mariota.

Strong words.  Pretty funny.

I think Peters is losing a whole letter grade on his offseason so far based on this move alone.