Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

8 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Austin Jones, Michael Wiley, Chris Rodriguez, Jeremy McNichols

So anxious to see these 4 compete which I’m assuming would be for 2 spots. 

Man, if CRod isn’t the 3rd RB I’ll be disappointed.

On 6/5/2024 at 9:21 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Such great cap work. Hopefully some of the guys who don’t have guaranteed $ in 2025 play well enough to earn contract extensions.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40300969/who-play-left-tackle-commanders

Found this article from Keim to be pretty concerning.

On an obvious level, the issue at LT is still as foreboding as it’s been all offseason, and I especially hate hearing all their coaches discussing essentially how Jayden’s mobility means they can field a worse OL because he will be able to get himself out of trouble.

But the under-the-surface thing that gives me pause is that Keim refers to Andrew Wylie as “guard Andrew Wylie.” This jibes with something I’ve noticed all offseason, which is that Wylie is listed as “G/T” on the team’s official roster page. 

If Wylie isn’t the de facto RT, then what are they doing at that position? Is that going to go to one of the losers of the LT competition?

Maybe this was just a misstatement by Keim, but I continue to feel a pretty strong vibe that they don’t have any idea what they’re going to end up doing at OT. I would really like to see a Donovan Smith or DJ Humphries signing come along one of these days, just to get someone vaguely proven/capable into the mix. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

On an obvious level, the issue at LT is still as foreboding as it’s been all offseason, and I especially hate hearing all their coaches discussing essentially how Jayden’s mobility means they can field a worse OL because he will be able to get himself out of trouble.

But the under-the-surface thing that gives me pause is that Keim refers to Andrew Wylie as “guard Andrew Wylie.” This jibes with something I’ve noticed all offseason, which is that Wylie is listed as “G/T” on the team’s official roster page. 

If Wylie isn’t the de facto RT, then what are they doing at that position? Is that going to go to one of the losers of the LT competition?

Maybe this was just a misstatement by Keim, but I continue to feel a pretty strong vibe that they don’t have any idea what they’re going to end up doing at OT. I would really like to see a Donovan Smith or DJ Humphries signing come along one of these days, just to get someone vaguely proven/capable into the mix. 

Two things:

1. I do think tThey are thinking of signing DJ Humphries but are going to see what the OTs do in training camp first. What if Coleman and Lucas look good in camp?

Then there's no reason to sign Humphries now.

2. The fact that Keim is referring to Wylie as a guard makes me think that they like what they've seen from Coleman so far & think he can start at one of the OT positions.

20 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yep. Its a major concern and if you voice that you clearly don't believe in this new regime or so I've been told. I trust Adam Peters and Co. to be better than what we've had previously but people cannot sit around and pretend that what they've done or not done with this OL isn't a major red flag. I mean, they could've come away with Jackson Powers Johnson and Cooper Beebe and signed Tyron Smith. Would anybody really not feel like our OL would be in a better place after that? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Two things:

1. I do think tThey are thinking of signing DJ Humphries but are going to see what the OTs do in training camp first. What if Coleman and Lucas look good in camp?

2. The fact that Keim is referring to Wylie as a guard makes me think that they like what they've seen from Coleman so far & think he can start at one of the OT positions.

Lucas has had years to look good. He's a journeymen OT who's played well as a reserve and struggled as a starter. This is a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think this is probably their plan, but I think it’s a bit of a short-sighted view, for two reasons. 

One, even if Coleman and Lucas do both look good in training camp, are we counting on them to play all 17 games? You have to have more than two viable players at the OT position — this is exactly what has made Lucas a valuable player over the years, the fact that if we lose a starter for a few games, we’re not absolutely dead in the water. Now he is the starter, and I don’t see anyone who’s replaced him at that OT3 spot. 

Two, if we wait until training camp to figure out whether we have any viable starting OTs, I think we make life more difficult for ourselves.

First of all, Humphries (for example) is coming back from a serious injury, it would probably be helpful to have him in camp being managed by our conditioning staff and getting back up to playing speed. But beyond that, once camp starts, other teams are going to have injuries (or concerns with their own OTs), and the market will likely heat up quickly. I can’t imagine we’re the top destination for these vets, we run the risk of losing them once teams like KC and Dallas and Baltimore potentially come knocking.

To me, I just don’t see the point in waiting. If we were talking about a long-term deal — or if we were hard-up for cap space — I could see it then. But this would be a one-year thing and we have more cap space than anybody in the league. What are we saving it for? We’re talking about providing a safety net for the rookie franchise QB here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

One, even if Coleman and Lucas do both look good in training camp, are we counting on them to play all 17 games? You have to have more than two viable players at the OT position — this is exactly what has made Lucas a valuable player over the years, the fact that if we lose a starter for a few games, we’re not absolutely dead in the water. Now he is the starter, and I don’t see anyone who’s replaced him at that OT3 spot. 

I think they see Wylie as the swing tackle, not sure he's ever played LT though. Maybe the though is if Coleman gets hurt Wylie comes in at RT, and if Lucas gets hurt Coleman flips over to LT and Wylie still comes in at LT. I agree with what you're saying about Lucas but maybe they just didn't see any FAs who were willing to come here as an upgrade over what we already had and once the Tackles got picked apart in the first round they refused to reach for one in the 2nd. You can't fix every position in a single offseason. 

On 6/9/2024 at 7:49 AM, e16bball said:

I will never understand why they didn't do more in the draft here.  If not for this year, but they could have at least drafted high level prospects for future.  Coleman has the measurements but I just think he is a big step down from guys like Kingsley or Rosengarten.  

It makes me shake my head when people are like we will solve that next year.  Not the case.  We might pick someone up next year, but even if that guy turns into a star it could take another year before he is playing like one.  Wylie is basically gone after this year.  We got two holes to fill. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Lucas is a solid gap starter and I do think they improved the interior a good bit.  I just also think they could have done a more even if just for future.  Hording cap space is nice and all, but not when you have known needs.

• Like 1