Conference Championships

Leader

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am curious how much pushback there will be that NFL playoff games are now being moved exclusively to streaming services. The KC/MIA game is only the beginning of the NFL's next big money grab. I'd bet a good chunk of casual NFL fans won't realize this is happening until game day.

EDIT: Just to clarify, my understanding is that in market fans still get the game without needing to use Peacock.

It’s a pretty low bar if you are out of market and really want the game.  What is it, like 9.99/month?  That’s a lot better than PPV type prices. 

That being said, I’m very happy we aren’t the Peacock game. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Kansas City - Miami.

High of 7 degrees.  Low of -8.   Winds at 16 mph.

I cannot wait to watch that game!

And I'm guessing KC doesn't have a heated field like GB does, so they're going to feel every bit of that cold.  Should be an interesting game.

2 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

It’s a pretty low bar if you are out of market and really want the game.  What is it, like 9.99/month?  That’s a lot better than PPV type prices. 

That being said, I’m very happy we aren’t the Peacock game. 

This is just step one.  Every NFL broadcast partner has a corresponding streaming service.  It will not be too many years down the road before they are all getting a piece of this playoff game streaming pie.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

This is just step one.  Every NFL broadcast partner has a corresponding streaming service.  It will not be too many years down the road before they are all getting a piece of this playoff game streaming pie.

More like steaming pile, amirite?

Just now, mikebpackfan said:

I'm actually indifferent to it.  I dropped cable years ago and will get the games regardless.  I'm just curious to see how quickly the NFL moves to this broadcast model for playoff games, and how much pushback they get for doing it.

29 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm actually indifferent to it.  I dropped cable years ago and will get the games regardless.  I'm just curious to see how quickly the NFL moves to this broadcast model for playoff games, and how much pushback they get for doing it.

Vierership with probably be a factor.  Say KC vs MIA draws 10M viewers while the other games average 25M viewers, is that a profitable move for the NFL?

45 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

GOT EM MIKE!    😁

I can say with certainty, the locals are not at all happy about this game being on the streaming service.  I am skipping it out of principle.  But would I if it were the Packers? I would probably grumble all the way while paying for it.  

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Vierership with probably be a factor.  Say KC vs MIA draws 10M viewers while the other games average 25M viewers, is that a profitable move for the NFL?

If I am understanding it, the league already gets the money, it is whether or not the game is profitable for the network.  Say 10 million subscribe at $5 a pop and also forget to cancel for 3 months.

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

GOT EM MIKE!    😁

I can say with certainty, the locals are not at all happy about this game being on the streaming service.  I am skipping it out of principle.  But would I if it were the Packers? I would probably grumble all the way while paying for it.  

Now imagine wildcard weekend on NBC/Peacock and the divisional round on CBS/Paramount.  That is where this is going.

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If I am understanding it, the league already gets the money, it is whether or not the game is profitable for the network.  Say 10 million subscribe at $5 a pop and also forget to cancel for 3 months.

I think 10M viewers is far from 10M subs.  probably over 2 viewers per sub?  Countin the bars and families etc.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

I think 10M viewers is far from 10M subs.  probably over 2 viewers per sub?  Countin the bars and families etc.

I don't know how they count that.  They can count the number of streams, but that doesn't mean there are any number of eyes actually on the game.  

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Now imagine wildcard weekend on NBC/Peacock and the divisional round on CBS/Paramount.  That is where this is going.

Oh, I know.  You can't watch the baseball playoffs without cable anymore.  I am pretty sure hockey and basketball are the same.  Though, they have a lot more games than baseball or football.  

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know how they count that.  They can count the number of streams, but that doesn't mean there are any number of eyes actually on the game.  

what I'm getting at is when the audience is reported as 25M or 10M it is a number on the actual number of viewers so that it can serve as an advertising metric.

And if they are reporting 10M viewers they are certainly not getting 10M subscriptions for those viewers.