90th Academy Awards

RamRod

So last year I made a thread for the Oscars, probably too early, and it didn't get much discussion and died off and another one was made that got more discussion than mine and I was pretty salty about it. Well not this year. It's mid December and a lot of the contenders are out or coming out soon and the nominations will be announced next month. So it's not too early to hear some predictions or thoughts and get some discussion going. 

9oscars_zpsmcu5n4ct.jpg

Host - Jimmy Kimmel

Nominations announced - January 23rd
Academy Awards Ceremony - March 4th

I'll probably add a poll later once the Best Picture nominees get announced. 

So far some contenders are looking like

The Shape of Water
The Disaster Artist
Dunkirk
Get Out
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Lady Bird
The Florida Project
Call Me By Your Name
The Post
Phantom Thread

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It would be nice to see LoganWonder Woman, Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, or another crowd-pleaser with great reviews get nominated.

I think Logan might get shut out. Wonder Woman and Star Wars will probably get some nominations from the technical categories.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Logan getting shut out of nominations would be criminal.  

I just don't see any categories it could get nominations for, at least not any major ones. Plus, super hero films aren't typically big time players in the Academy Awards.

I swear if Gary Oldman doesn't at least get nominated I'm never watching the Oscars again.  An Oldman nomination is literally the only thing that would get me to watch.  Hopefully now that Harvey Weinstein got himself Weinstein'd, there will be less movies that win due to persistent intimidation and bullying. 

Can we go back and remove Shakespeare in Love's best picture win?  And like 50% of the other best picture winners? 

16 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Seems like the Independent Films are critics as well as Oscars favorites!

• The Shape of Water-Fox/Fox Searchlight(Dec 15)
  • The Post-Dreamworks/Fox/Amblin(Dec 22)
  • Dunkirk-WB(188 mil)
  • Three Billboards-Fox/Fox Searchlight(19 mil)
  • Mudbound-Netflix(Nov 17 Netflix)
  • Get Out-Universal(175 mil)
  • All the Money in the World-Sony(Dec 25)
  • The Greatest Showman-Fox(Dec 25)

• Lady Bird-A24(23 mil)
  • The Florida Project-A24(5 mil)
  • Darkest Hour-Focus(Dec 22)
  • Phantom Thread-Focus(Dec 25)
  • Call Me By Your Name-Sony Classic(3 mil)
  • I, Tonya-Neon(250k, 4 theater limited release)
  • The Disaster Artist-A24(6.5 mil)

That right there is probably the top 15 films from where you will see the major nominees. 8 major studios, 7 small studios. Just because you havent heard of a movie doesnt mean its an independant film. Box office is added.

23 hours ago, RamRod said:

I just don't see any categories it could get nominations for, at least not any major ones. Plus, super hero films aren't typically big time players in the Academy Awards.

It’s not a typical superhero film tho.  It’s more of a western and I think the Academy might recognize that.  We’ve seen upwards of 10 films nominated for Best Picture and it 100% deserves one of those slots.  

20 hours ago, RamRod said:

I think Roger Deakins will finally win an Oscar for Blade Runner: 2049

Definitely made a case for it but I think Thierry Arbogast has an argument too for Valerian which looked breathtakingly gorgeous as well. 

Archived