90th Academy Awards

RamRod

7 hours ago, animaltested said:

Musical Number

References to Golden Age Actors/Actresses (movies + TV)

Genre Films of the 1950s

Lives above a movie theater

I was making a joke about a line in the movie.  I haven't seen it.  Don't even care that it won, don't even care that it probably doesn't deserve to have won, don't even care that it stole scenes from Jean Pierre-Jeunet, don't even care that it was plagiarized.  I'm just happy that Gary Oldman finally got his due. 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I was making a joke about a line in the movie.  I haven't seen it.  Don't even care that it won, don't even care that it probably doesn't deserve to have won, don't even care that it stole scenes from Jean Pierre-Jeunet, don't even care that it was plagiarized.  I'm just happy that Gary Oldman finally got his due. 

You don't deserve this like, but I'm giving it to you so you get to 1000

Honestly, didn't even realize these were last night until after they were done and I saw something on Twitter about it.  Glad to see Coco won best animated picture and best original song though.  Also happy to see Oldman get his long over due little gold man statue.

8 hours ago, carl_sjunior said:

Leo plays very similar characters and won for the gross out factor of how into he got on set, in addition to being overdue. I loved how he used his time for his speech to speak about the environment. 

But even his diehard  fans should notice he plays the same sort of thing in every movie, and it was getting to the point of him just amping up the same character and outrageousness the longer it went on. 

It’s not even that, he’s just not consistently playing the types of challenging roles you need to win an Oscar. That and, I’m sorry, he’s not exactly Daniel Day Lewis. He’s just a very popular leading man whose been around so long that people think he deserved it for reasons....

Mostly because he was in a few films that won Oscars and also I think part of it is Kate Winslett got aware recognition for later roles.

Yeah, DiCaprio is overrated.  I love him as an actor, but he's the safest actor there is.  The only three roles he really made any kind of acting change or departure on were The Revenant, Django Unchained and The Departed.  The Departed was kinda just his accent, too, so it wasn't really anything all that great. 

I wouldn't rank him in any top 10 all time list.  I probably wouldn't even put him top five actors alive right now.  If you perfect a personality or character type and you use it in every movie, you really aren't doing much of anything special from one movie to the next. 

Compare him to someone like Gary Oldman and he doesn't come remotely close or even comparable.  If Gary Oldman was more selective in his roles and didn't take half the crap roles he's taken in his life, and if he didn't get blacklisted for a while there, he would be considered a top three actor of all-time by basically everyone.  He just takes too many crap roles in too many crap movies.  He's still good in them, but there's only so much you can do in crap movies. 

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, Buddyboy said:

Best movie Darkest Hour

Best Actor Oldman

Best Actress McDormand

Best Supporting Actor Rockwell

Hollywood is descending into self destruction. Best picture 2017 was Twilight, 2018 The Shape of Water.

The show is far too long, full of absurd side issues. Hollywood has always tolerated ugly abuses. Read King Cohn, a bio of studio chief Harry Cohn.

Get Out was a brilliant movie, surprised that a movie like that made it this far.

Dunkirk and Darkest Hour were exceptionally well done.

Liam Neeson did fine work in Mark Felt. Woody Harrelson starred in LBJ. Bryan Cranston starred in All the Way With LBJ in 2016. The Post wasn't mentioned last night. America came through a decade of peril from 1964-75. At least Hollywood told the truth.

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Compare him to someone like Gary Oldman and he doesn't come remotely close or even comparable.  If Gary Oldman was more selective in his roles and didn't take half the crap roles he's taken in his life, and if he didn't get blacklisted for a while there, he would be considered a top three actor of all-time by basically everyone.  He just takes too many crap roles in too many crap movies.  He's still good in them, but there's only so much you can do in crap movies. 

this reminds me of Michael Fassbender

Note to all producers, to get that Golden Statue, make your movie about, Hollywood, Making Movies/Plays or Journalism [All within a similar field].

2017 - Shape of Water - One big love letter to 1950s Cinema

2016 - Moonlight, but you know darn well they gave that begrudgingly. They REALLY wanted to give it to La La.

2015 - Spotlight - Journalism

2014 - Birdman - A movie about a movie actor trying to make a play

2013 - 12 Years a Slave - Deviation, only because there were no movies nominated about the industry.

2012 - Argo - Movie about movie makers, making a fake movie 

2011 - The Artist - Hollywood, Hollywood, making movies.

Is The Shape of Water any good? It looks interesting but is it really the movie of the year?? This, along w/ the host, is one of the main reasons I even forgot this was on this past weekend. They dont' really seem to give the award for best movie to the actual best movie. I think Ben Shapiro (not to introduce politics so please don't make that a focal point) expressed thoughts and patterns very similar to what I've seen lately and I agree w/ him. Seems like Hollywood has a different agenda rather than actually give awards to movies that deserve it.

Archived