Rayne Dakota Prescott

textaz03

What do you wanna see happen with Dak?   

19 members have voted

1. 1. What do you wanna see happen with Dak?

• Keep and resign
    • Cut pre-June 1st
    • Cut post June 1st
    • Trade prior March 17

Let’s start a fresh thread dedicated just to him. In 8 seasons Dak has earned a total of just over 162 million in cash from the Cowboys. He is scheduled to make another 34 mil in cash in 2024 pushing his total cash earnings to 196 million. Most ever by a Cowboy (if I’m not mistaken).

Now reason why I bring up his total earnings is for this reason, if Dak really wants to win a Super Bowl in Dallas, he needs to realize his contract can not hamstring our front office from bringing in better FA talent or resigning our own top tier talent who will also need big contracts. Having a record deal for a QB will prevent someone or maybe 2 top tier players not getting extensions here. Will Dak accept a very team friendly deal to spread out some money????

If not, then let’s continue:

Dak currently will have a CAP hit of 59.5 million towards our 2024 salary CAP. That would climb to 61 million in Dead CAP if cut or traded before June 1st. If Dak was a post June 1st cut, he would count as a 25 mil CAP hit in 2024 (34 mil in savings) and 36 mil CAP hit in 2025. 

then there is this little nugget that I found today, something I had no idea of. 

“Back in September, ESPN’s Dan Graziano explained how the Cowboys could save $34 million by trading Prescott before his roster bonus kicks in on March 17.

“If we get to March and the Cowboys, for whatever reason, have decided they don’t want to extend Prescott… then things get interesting,” Graziano wrote. “Prescott’s 2024 money is not guaranteed. The Cowboys could cut or trade him prior to paying the March roster bonus and save $34 million on their 2024 cap”

https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-trade-contract-mike-mccarthy/amp/

But, this is all dependent on Dak eliminating his no trade clause. 

Thoughts? 

Understand, this is what WE would do. Who knows what the FO will do?

With that in mind, I guess Prescotts fate will be determined by 2 things:

1. Are they moving on from McCarthy?

2. If so, will the new HC want to bring in or draft "his" guy?

What should the Boys do? Probably trade Dak while his value is still very high and begin to rebuild / retool.

What they will do? Depends on who's the head coach next year. If MM is retained or another veteran like Belichek is hired, then Dak stays. If Jerry and Stephen surprise by hiring a young, unproven coach, the team could go in numerous directions. 

Realistically, what would Daks trade value be ? Trading him to a team that’s missing a QB to contend would net us not a high first. Do you believe a team with a high pick would trade for him instead of just drafting a young cheap QB

10 hours ago, TheTriplets said:

Realistically, what would Daks trade value be ? Trading him to a team that’s missing a QB to contend would net us not a high first. Do you believe a team with a high pick would trade for him instead of just drafting a young cheap QB

Depends on the team and coach TBH.  Look at the Jets last offseason.  The highest trade value IMO would be a team like Denver who has a HC who wants to win now vs rebuild and has some offensive pieces in place to make it work.  Same could be true with the raiders depending on who they pick to coach the team.  But He'd easily have a first round pick + something to right team.  

11 hours ago, TheTriplets said:

Well, the Iggles got a 1st for Sammy Sleeves! So I guess it all depends on who you deal with.

But I would say a team like Den, Minn, NYJ would probably give up a late 1st or early 2nd for Prescott.

Dak took Jerry Jones to the cleaners on the first big payday and he will most likely do it again. Because the F.O. is scared of a complete rebuild they will give him another no trade clause. 

I voted to post June 1st cut him. Because based on his history, he’s going to want to be the highest paid QB ever.

Edited by Tony7188