Aaron Rodgers Announces He's Medically Cleared

HawaiiFan808

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Outside of King and possibly Burnett, you can't blame it on injuries though. 

one of the big differences between this year and last year is that the entire secondary, performance wise, has taken a big step backwards. Save for maybe Burnett. He has actually played equally OK this year compared to last when he's kept closer or inside the box but he does have a few bruises that he has had to deal with too. Randall, House and Rollins have all sucked even worse than they did last season and they were terrible. HHCD is having the worst season of his career and has been a major liability in the backfield. IMO, his regression has been the Packers defense biggest reason for their failures as a whole this year, player performance wise that is. Kevin King -who played pretty well this year for a rookie, given the circumstances- has been the Packers best DB(which isn't saying much) and he's gone for the season due to injury. 

So you can't blame it on injuries in the secondary. You can blame the FO for wasting 1st and 2nd round picks on Randall and Rollins, IIRC. You can put blame it on Capers for his inability to adjust his scheme. Hell, you can even blame McCarthy for not properly analyzing his own roster by not starting King over Rollins at CB to start the season. Instead of doing his usual "I don't like to start starters".

You cannot blame it on injuries. 

It really isn't just the injuries.  But losing King to IR and House for a couple of weeks hurts because the lack of depth behind them.  The kids we're going to put out there probably belong on the SP.  Heck, a couple of them were activated off that list lately.  Rollins might have been a mistake but drafting Randall was a not a waste.  Randall has played much better the past several weeks.  I also disagree with you criticizing McCarthy for initially starting a veteran over a rookie in King.  I suspect most coaches will start the veteran over a rookie at the start of a season  until the rookie gets some game experience under his belt.

The bigger issue on our defense IMO is a lack of a pass rush.  You can't allow any QB stand back there forever scanning your defense and not get burned.  This position has been neglected for far too long so I'm hoping it will finally be addressed this offseason.

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Outside of King and possibly Burnett, you can't blame it on injuries though. 

one of the big differences between this year and last year is that the entire secondary, performance wise, has taken a big step backwards. Save for maybe Burnett. He has actually played equally OK this year compared to last when he's kept closer or inside the box but he does have a few bruises that he has had to deal with too. Randall, House and Rollins have all sucked even worse than they did last season and they were terrible. HHCD is having the worst season of his career and has been a major liability in the backfield. IMO, his regression has been the Packers defense biggest reason for their failures as a whole this year, player performance wise that is. Kevin King -who played pretty well this year for a rookie, given the circumstances- has been the Packers best DB(which isn't saying much) and he's gone for the season due to injury. 

So you can't blame it on injuries in the secondary. You can blame the FO for wasting 1st and 2nd round picks on Randall and Rollins, IIRC. You can put blame it on Capers for his inability to adjust his scheme. Hell, you can even blame McCarthy for not properly analyzing his own roster by not starting King over Rollins at CB to start the season. Instead of doing his usual "I don't like to start starters".

You cannot blame it on injuries. 

To be fair, Randall has played very well in the 2nd half of the season. Has only allowed 82 yards in the past 4 games with no TDs.

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Its a shame that they probably will miss out on the playoffs, because with Aaron Rodgers, they are clearly a top contender in the NFC.

And before someone says it... no, expanding the number of playoff teams is most definitely NOT the answer.

I think there's an 85% chance to make it if we win out. Still, the next 3 games are gonna be tough. I have faith with how we played up against the wall, and having an actual run game again, but I think it's a long shot to expect wins the next 2 weeks

I know packers fans are excited but this is a dumb move by the packers.  First off Rodgers is no spring chicken he is football old.  Secondly we saw the same thing play out for the cowboys and Romo in 2015.  He breaks his bone gets rushed back for the playoffs and then breaks it again and that was the beginning of the end for Romo's career.  Finally even if you win out packer will need help to get into the playoffs because both the Falcon and seahawks hold tie breakers over them.  Shut him down or you'll might end up regretting it.   

2 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

I know packers fans are excited but this is a dumb move by the packers.  First off Rodgers is no spring chicken he is football old.  Secondly we saw the same thing play out for the cowboys and Romo in 2015.  He breaks his bone gets rushed back for the playoffs and then breaks it again and that was the beginning of the end for Romo's career.  Finally even if you win out packer will need help to get into the playoffs because both the Falcon and seahawks hold tie breakers over them.  Shut him down or you'll might end up regretting it.   

34 for a starting QB these days isn't ancient.  I suspect Romo had to quit because of his back issues, not his collarbone.  Even if we did what you are suggesting - shut him down until next season -  who's to say he plays in week one next year and breaks it again?  Every player knows going out onto the field he is taking a chance of injury.  If he, the coaches and especially the doctors are good with it we should be too.  

2 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

No they don't...we beat them h2h

5 minutes ago, rrgm said:

Can't fathom any case in which this is good idea to play again this year. The Packers are not doing anything this year lol

As long as they aren't officially eliminated from the playoffs, it makes perfect sense for him to play. They could go anywhere with him, and nowhere without him

From the Packers forum:

The health risks were assessed by the people with the skills to make health assessments. If he is cleared to play, then that means the risk is less than the reward. AR can decide what he wants to do. Aaron's a wicked smart dude, he knows way more than any of us and ultimately its his body and his future.

But he also has deep relationships with his team mates who are risking their ***** despite the season taking a turn. Shared sacrifice is one of the keystones of building a winning culture and a Championship squad. Leaders lead by leading, not by displaying self-preservation and sitting on the bench because the W/L column isn't where it needs to be. "That's a polluted mindset" 

Rodgers himself asked everybody to be All In, you can't really do that as a healthy scratch....safely on the bench.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

34 for a starting QB these days isn't ancient.  I suspect Romo had to quit because of his back issues, not his collarbone.  Even if we did what you are suggesting - shut him down until next season -  who's to say he plays in week one next year and breaks it again?  Every player knows going out onto the field he is taking a chance of injury.  If he, the coaches and especially the doctors are good with it we should be too.  

It's not ancient, but QB's like Rivers/Ben/Eli who came out just a year before Rodgers are clearly on their way out. And since Rodgers isn't strictly a pocket passer and relies on his legs to extend plays alot, it will catch up a lot faster. 

6 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

GB has like an 85% chance of making the playoffs if we win out.

Archived