Who do you want as the Steelers new Offensive Coordinator?

Just now, warfelg said:

And there’s more than just the HC that makes that call.

Just now, warfelg said:

And there’s more than just the HC that makes that call.

Agreed. That also applies to the Fields mention. Psychology is so fun, right? 😂

• Like 1

It's a wait and see no doubt.

He's not the home run I was hoping for. Kubiak would've been, in my opinion.

I think this fascination with the 'Steelers style' of smash mouth football from yesteryear,
is just not a modern way to win, the way the game is being played.

The game requires more intelligent scheme and dynamic play design. 
I don't think that means you can't have a tough defence and a bully attitude,
but what we've really lacked for years is unique intelligence. I think SF is a great example
of building a solid, aggressive defence and a modern offence.

The worry for me, is that this was almost too predictable, that this shows Tomlin
and the Rooney's are stuck in a dogmatic view of identity and style - over championships.

I'm happy to be wrong, because all I want is for the Steelers to win, but as of now,
this feels like the predictable hire vs any real meaningful change.

On 1/28/2024 at 4:16 AM, 43M said:

My guess all along is that they will drag their feet and eventually end up hiring someone extremely underwhelming.

Its depressing how utterly predictable this franchise has become.      Although they hired him a week or two sooner than expected.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

It’s depressing how utterly predictable this franchise has become.      Although they hired him a week or two sooner than expected.   

I was too but I’m a littlE more hopeful after seeing some stats based on presnap lotion, PA usage and some underlying metrics from his time in Tennessee.

Still 50-50 overall though.

23 minutes ago, 43M said:

Its depressing how utterly predictable this franchise has become.      Although they hired him a week or two sooner than expected.   

I mean, isn’t that based on your opinion? How do we know he will be an underwhelming hire? Who would you have hired?

Im surmising that there were other feelers sent out to people the media did not mention or know about. 

The Tomlin/Steelers situation is not exactly ideal for young OC's that are still seeking to learn and develop as OC's. Im not being harsh to Mike but other than some basic fundamentals of how and when to do things there is not much leaning on Mike to learn more about play design etc.. So you'd have to leave your developmental nest under the OC/HC that you have been successful and likely planned to continue to develop under until you were ready to take the OC job under that OC or HC. 

They are essentially being asked to primarily incorporate and work with this ball of clay that is already started and reshape this team under those constraints. All while Mike Tomlin doesn't have a new contract and from what I heard, Rooney did not say Mike is receiving an extension, it was more that they talk every day and "We still feel good about Mike" and that was it. It was kind of left there, maybe not as left there as say it was about Mitch but it wasn't oh yeah we are renewing Mikes contract. Unless there was more to that 20 minute interview that I missed. 

Some guys might just not want to leave the locations they are in / pick up their families unless they have to,  or its for an HC job. 

Smith became available and they knew it was a solid option and the guy would likely not be in a hurry to leave but rather learn from Mike and reshape his reputation with an opportunity with the longest tenured CEO/HC and an extremely stable organization. 

Also some people, especially A type personalities which Mike probably falls under don't like to belabor themselves with choices etc, they see something that will work for them and they go with it, so they can get to work on the things they feel are necessary to keep them on their path. 

Just some things to consider. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 7:03 PM, 3rivers said:

Arthur never really gave BIjan the snap count I expected, so will he waste players here too? Seems like the tomlin hire I dread but thats what I expect

a bit late to this party, but there was the inference . Now it might not sting if he can convince Munhak to return, help the OL. But of course this is a wait and see hire because his falcons didn't light it up thats for sure. 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Mark Robinson converting back to running back / fullback ?

Or I guess just use lil Cam who actually is a pretty good RB.

It would not surprise me for them to take a mid round RB or sign say a Donte Foreman type come the offseason.

6 minutes ago, AFF said:

It would not surprise me for them to take a mid round RB or sign say a Donte Foreman type come the offseason.

Id love to get a mid round RB if the value is better than other spots. I think they should be loading a 3rd one in the chamber every couple years. The FSU RB Benson and USC RB are nice, two different styles but both nice. George Halani caught my eye a couple years ago from Boise , kind of a J Warren style. Should be able to get him late or maybe UDFA.

1 minute ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Id love to get a mid round RB if the value is better than other spots. I think they should be loading a 3rd one in the chamber every couple years. The FSU RB Benson and USC RB are nice, two different styles but both nice. George Halani caught my eye a couple years ago from Boise , kind of a J Warren style. Should be able to get him late or maybe UDFA.

I haven’t looked into RB at all draft wise but them going with Smith as OC I think they put some resources into a 3rd guy that can handle some touches if necessary.