Raiders hire Antonio Pierce as Head Coach

11 hours ago, Justwinning said:

If the defense can maintain or even improve plus getting the offense back on track, why wouldn’t we be in a better place?

The offense and QB situation. More likely the defense returns to it's mean. Emotion can only carry so long. 

10 hours ago, NickButera said:

Wanted harbough tbh.

However, my biggest concerns are answered. 

1) Having Marvin Lewis AND Coughlin around to help build a staff alleviates any concern I could possibly have for that 

2) Firing almost the whole offensive staff alleviates any concern I had over the offense.

He's already proven he's too good to go an entire season only winning 4-5 games. We're going to win, maybe 8,9, 10 games? I think his floor is mediocre. Which should give him at minimum 2 seasons. How much he wins is going to depend on what QB they can get in the building and who the playcaller is IMO.

Everything else is set, pretty sure Graham is still under contract so he's not going anywhere unless they fire him. Which would be absurd. We have talent and he's going to draw in more talent in FA for sure. 

I'm 50/50

Tom Coughlin's influence on the staff scares me. He seems like he'd be less focused on finding a dynamic modern play caller and QB developer and more old school type. They will re-sign Jacobs, that's a given and run the ball 300 times next year is my guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I feel the same way, not mad at AP being named the coach but feel like we didnt even really explore the options. If we’d brought in Harbaugh and McDonald or Johnson or someone and still thought AP was the best option I’d have felt a bit more satisfied.

This. And I'll reserve some judgement until the staff is filled out. If he laid out a concise plan of action and it makes sense and then maybe it will make more sense. 

But given the GM situation currently, it's iffy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

This right here is what I’m talking about. No. He gets one year. Rookie QB is NOT an excuse. 

That’s just nonsense! You’re not going to give any leeway for a rookie QB? 

It seems like that’s what you want though. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that you’re just laying unrealistic expectations out here so you can come back a year later and rage against the coaching staff 😁

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

This right here is what I’m talking about. No. He gets one year. Rookie QB is NOT an excuse. 

just because one of your preferred candidates didnt get hired, doesnt make it right to proclaim a new HC gets one year to make the playoffs or he’s fired. Thats over the top. 

i mean, im sure if Harbaugh or Ben Johnson was hired, you wouldn’t have the same do or die expectations for them in year one.

AP wasnt my first choice either but he, just like any other new coach, no matter their resume, deserves respect and proper due diligence to implement his vision on the team.  Barring a Urban Meyer or McDoofus like debacle, i think he gets 2 or 3 years to see if we have something with him. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

That’s just nonsense! You’re not going to give any leeway for a rookie QB? 

It seems like that’s what you want though. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that you’re just laying unrealistic expectations out here so you can come back a year later and rage against the coaching staff 😁

Let people fill their narrative however they want. Either AP is great and they're happy or he's not and they're right (and loud, they'll be very loud). It's an emotional hedge. They set unreasonable expectations so they can be sure to get either happiness or justification. There's a lot of "covering bases" with those who didn't want AP.

If we go 9-8, if we have a defense stays top 10, and if we have a QB who shows promise it's a win of a season. We aren't winning the SB next year with any coach. Defense is young and on the rise, if we get a QB to match that we could be a real contender in 2-3 years

Edited by justwinbaby81
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

If we go 9-8, if we have a defense stays top 10, and if we have a QB who shows promise it's a win of a season. We aren't winning the SB next year with any coach. Defense is young and on the rise, if we get a QB to match that we could be a real contender in 2-3 years

This is it right here. There are "parts".

Does he maintain a top defense?

Does he maintain discipline with penalties?

Does he maintain the locker room? Attract free agents?

Does the new offensive scheme show promise?

If he fails on implementing new things on offense AND fails at the things he showed he can do well these 9 games, I'll start to turn. But if he continues with a top defense and we don't get penalties and we look competitive week in and week out.... But let's say our QB sucks and loses us games. He gets 2-3 years. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

I’m nervous with Coughlin helping with the OC selection. Coughlin usually likes old washed up OC’s with tons of experience. I want an up and comer who is an innovator. 

So does everyone else. 

And then that guy gets a new job, and picks the staff clean at his new job. 

Name to watch at OC, Minnesota WR coach Kennan McCardell.

With Tom Coughlin as a player '96 - '01. WR coach for Jacksonville '17-'20 when Coughlin was the Exec. VP of football operations there. 

He's wanted an OC job. Players in Minnesota love him. Jefferson voiced retaining him when KOC's staff came in. Player coach, fits the AP culture. 

Not saying I want him as OC, just someone to monitor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Cool story. 

Since 2000, USC QBs haven't even made a Superbowl (0%). 

Does that mean you're off Caleb’s jock now, too, Stat Master?

IIRC you were against stroud last year because QBs from that system never work out. Lmfao. 

You’re expecting AP to break a 2.5 decade trend across multiple teams in an NFL setting 

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

I can't think of one a HC on earth who I would reasonably expect to be a 10+ win playoff team with a rookie QB. It's no different than AP. 

I'm thinking he should be able to get us to 8-9 wins however this seasons caveat is the QB. It's a QB driven league, the best coaches on earth can barely make a team a winning team without a good QB. 

Without a doubt it's the one thing that is going to hold this team back. Hopefully they fix that

Why hire AP to appease the current group of players if you don’t think AP and the current group of players are good enough to contend now? 

6 hours ago, Jerry said:

So what would everyone consider to be a successful first season?

Personally, I feel like 9 wins would be the minimum AP should be able to accomplish after this past season. We just won 8 games. He had our defense giving up 16 PPG as HC. Defense definitely depends on PG staying as DC but I think even without him we should still be a top 16 unit with AP at HC and a somewhat competent DC. 

So I’ll say this now, anything less than 9 wins will be a failure at HC in his first season.

What does everyone else think?

I think the playoffs is mandatory for next year to be successful. Or why did you hire a coach to appease the current core roster of that current core isn’t even good enough to make the playoffs in what is basically year 3 together. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why hire AP to appease the current group of players if you don’t think AP and the current group of players are good enough to contend now? 

Um. What? 

It's not like a head coach is the only thing we need to be able to contend for a Superbowl next year and to think that is absurd. 

Even if we hired Harbough I would not expect us to be a contention team "next year"

Why would you hire someone with this group of players and expect us to be contenders next year?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think the playoffs is mandatory for next year to be successful. Or why did you hire a coach to appease the current core roster of that current core isn’t even good enough to make the playoffs in what is basically year 3 together. 

Everyone knows this league is dominated by HC/QB combos. We have a HC who can make a good combo provided we find that QB.