Raiders hire Antonio Pierce as Head Coach

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

All of the AP supporters acted like he was going to build some goated offensive staff lol

Literally no one told you that either. I've been following the various threads pretty closely, and nobody knows who the OC is going to be yet.

• Like 4

On 1/20/2024 at 1:14 PM, Humble_Beast said:

Offensive Coordinators options: 

• Frank Reich  - former Panthers coach
  • Shane Waldron - Former Seattle OC
  • Kellen Moore - former Chargers OC
  • Eric Bieniemy - former Washington OC
  • Byron Leftwich - former Bucs OC
  • Zach Robinson - Rams QB coach 
  • Klint Kubiak - 49ers 
  • Brian Griese - 9ers QB coach 
  • Pep Hamilton - former Texans OC
  • Kliff Kingsbury - USC QB coach
  • Alex Van Pelt - former Browns OC
  • Thomas Brown- former Panthers OC
  • Greg Roman - former Ravens OC
  • Liam Coen- Kentucky OC
  • Darrell Bevell - Dolphins QB coach 
  • Jerrod Johnson - Texans QB coach 
  • Ryan Grubb 
  • Greg Roman 
  • Tee Martin - Ravens QB coach 
  • Anthony Lynn - 49ers RB coach 
  • Jake Peetz - Rams assistant 
  • David Shaw - former Stanford Coach 
  • Tavita Pritchard - Washington QB coach
  • Tanner Engstrand - Lions Assistant 
  • Drew Terrell - Cardinals Assistant 
  • Garrett Riley - Clemson OC
  • Ronald Curry- Saints QB coach

Frank Reich would be my first choice. Former HC who had the rotten luck of coaching for two ***** owners in a row (something i think @ronjon1990 brought up before now as well) and got stuck with an outright terrible team last season. We wouldn't have to worry about him going anywhere for several seasons, and he would be another source of experience/steady hand for AP.

IIRC, Leftwich has been an OC for some good offenses. Being a former QB himself could help in the development and maturation of a rookie QB.

I'd be interested in Kellen Moore as long as it can be verified (as much as we possibly could verify) that it was Brandon Staley holding the team back and not Moore's coaching. The Chargers seemed to play better on offense after Staley got sacked, so that might be something to consider.

Ronald Curry is a former Raider and could help AP get back to the Raiders Way, might be worth an interview.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Very underwhelming start to the search. Waldon is now with the Bears, but he and Getsy run the same scheme. Getsy is laughably awful. How the hell do you interview a guy who was the laughing stock of the league this past season?

Chump Kelly tapping into his wealth of contacts which include Ryan Poles. 

Only other real contacts he has are McDaniels guys and Bryan Xanders or Ryan Pace and his track record of failures. 

Tried warning everyone Kelly was just another tag-along bum. Just because he wears a hat cooked slightly to the side and "keeps it real" in interviews doesn't change that. 

In one of his own interviews he straight up says he knows what he doesn't know. Cool. Good for him. The problem is, what he does know are habits and lessons picked up from some absolutely dreadful regimes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RaidersForever said:

Literally no one told you that either. I've been following the various threads pretty closely, and nobody knows who the OC is going to be yet.

The names thrown out by everyone suggests they believe we’re getting a big fish hire. BP was one of the few that pointed out the concerns about him being able to build a good staff.

Majority thought it was a slam dunk hire. So you thought it was a slam dunk without him being able to attract good coaches to his staff or?

Edited by NYRaider

16 minutes ago, RaidersForever said:

Frank Reich would be my first choice. Former HC who had the rotten luck of coaching for two ***** owners in a row (something i think @ronjon1990 brought up before now as well) and got stuck with an outright terrible team last season. We wouldn't have to worry about him going anywhere for several seasons, and he would be another source of experience/steady hand for AP.

IIRC, Leftwich has been an OC for some good offenses. Being a former QB himself could help in the development and maturation of a rookie QB.

I'd be interested in Kellen Moore as long as it can be verified (as much as we possibly could verify) that it was Brandon Staley holding the team back and not Moore's coaching. The Chargers seemed to play better on offense after Staley got sacked, so that might be something to consider.

Ronald Curry is a former Raider and could help AP get back to the Raiders Way, might be worth an interview.

Riech is said to be contemplating retirement. He's get paid by two organizations. No need to take an OC job at this stage of his life.

Leftwhich was hot until Tom Brady left, then got canned quickly. No real track record of success without Brady which is a red flag.

Moore is trash. Gifted Herbert, did nothing with him. Dallas was smart to move on, Dak had his best year.

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Riech is said to be contemplating retirement. He's get paid by two organizations. No need to take an OC job at this stage of his life.

Leftwhich was hot until Tom Brady left, then got canned quickly. No real track record of success without Brady which is a red flag.

Moore is trash. Gifted Herbert, did nothing with him. Dallas was smart to move on, Dak had his best year.

Fair points. I guess Kingsbury wouldn't be horrible, as long as he and Caleb Williams aren't a package deal.

11 minutes ago, RaidersForever said:

Man, I would LOVE Reich. But that dude is going nowhere. He's getting paid an absurd amount of money to not coach. 

Leftwich would be a solid choice, imo. Brady already vouched for him on a few occasions. He was also once a high draft pick at QB which would come in handy breaking our QBOTF in. 

Moore is so iffy to me. We've seen good, we've seen bad. McCarthy scapegoating someone isn't a rare thing. Staley sucks. What I will say is that while McCarthy took over from him and Dallas' offense had a great season, the offenses under Moore were more balanced and suited for long term success. McCarthy, going back to GB, would be booming only to fizzle out late on an annual basis. Darkhorse candidate. 

Curry would be alright. Haven't followed him closely enough. 

Kubiak, Griese, Brunell, Shaw, and Pep Hamilton would be some great choices, imo. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The names thrown out by everyone suggests they believe we’re getting a big fish hire. BP was one of the few that pointed out the concerns about him being able to build a good staff.

Majority thought it was a slam dunk hire. So you thought it was a slam dunk without him being able to attract good coaches to his staff or?

The names people are throwing around are names they would want interviewed. It's literally no different than your million and ten different mock drafts you're going to start posting thrice-daily in a couple of weeks. 

Much like our draft board, nobody- including you- has any idea who the OC will be. We might put together Luke Getsy, Adam Gase, and Mark Helfrich. We might assemble a staff that blows everyone out of the water. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

All of the AP supporters acted like he was going to build some goated offensive staff lol

I don't recall reading that anywhere, once. 

I, and many others I've noticed, have been saying that if he wants to be successful he needs to build a very good offensive staff. Not that he was going to like it's set in stone, it's his mountain to climb in order to be successful IMO

I think there may have been maybe a couple posters here who wanted AP as their number one choice, but from what I recall they pointed to how well he did with the culture and defense was their main argument

As far as AP himself: A very meh signing, compared to other available candidates -- but a case can definitely be made that he earned a shot to build upon last season. Whether or not that shot should have been with us.....well, that remains to be seen. Obviously a TON depends on what the offensive coahcing staff/scheme is and how it operates. Since he's the guy, he deserves two years to make his vision happen. It's going to be an interesting ride.

Edited by RaidersForever

11 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Don't love the OC rumors other than Kliff. 

I only have 1 concern with Kliff- if we bring him in, chances are we shoot for Caleb Williams. 

My opinion of Williams notwithstanding, it would tip our hand to the entire league and any move we try to make to move up for him becomes even more expensive. 

Everyone would 100% know there are QBs we're NOT taking because no way they succeed in a Kliff-run offense. 

Not a deal breaker, but a concern I would have. It's impractical, but I'd almost prefer to wait to announce an OC until after the draft. 

• Like 1