Raiders hire Antonio Pierce as Head Coach

12 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I don't recall reading that anywhere, once. 

I, and many others I've noticed, have been saying that if he wants to be successful he needs to build a very good offensive staff. Not that he was going to like it's set in stone, it's his mountain to climb in order to be successful IMO

I think there may have been maybe a couple posters here who wanted AP as their number one choice, but from what I recall they pointed to how well he did with the culture and defense was their main argument

So people wanted AP despite doubting he could put together a good offensive staff? If you were pounding the table for him, I think that would also entail believing he could build the right staff.

I believe it was Buck Savage that said the league would be laughing at us if we passed on AP because everyone would want to be with him, lol 

21 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

What in the coldest of blue hells does that have to do with your inability to comprehend what other people plainly write? 

That you consistently have terrible takes while I have good ones

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That you consistently have terrible takes while I have good ones

So......it has absolutely nothing to do with your inability to focus on a singular topic long enough to comprehend anything other people say without going off on a hyperbolic orgasm. 

Glad we cleared that up. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

So......it has absolutely nothing to do with your inability to focus on a singular topic long enough to comprehend anything other people say without going off on a hyperbolic orgasm. 

Glad we cleared that up. 

I lol’d 

anyways who do you want us to hire at GM and OC? 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I lol’d 

anyways who do you want us to hire at GM and OC? 

Want? Or think it will be? 

I would still want Ray Agnew from Detroit, even with Johnson being out of the picture. I like every move they've made since he's been associated with the organization, his track record is solid, he has contacts all over the place, and the success is visible. 

Second to him, Dodds. I'm not enamored with him, but he's been around some quality builds/rebuilds and franchises that have sustained runs of success. He and Harbaugh packaged together would've been the ultimate prize, but most of that would be credited to Harbaugh. 

I'm ABC- Anybody But Champ. He ain't it. And I think he's going to juke and jive and sweet talk his way into the job, and it's going to go sour real quick. 

As for OC:

My preference is Klint Kubiak. He's had success before on his own, has contacts, amd has essentially been Shanahan's most recent shadow. Gary Kubiak has overseen several successful rebuilds as a HC and administrator. Being able to tap into him would be priceless, imo. 

Next down my list would be Brian Griese or Mark Brunell. While Shanny and Johnson get the bulk credit for Purdy and Goff, I think their QB coaches being relatively well-respected former QBs in their own right shouldn't be overlooked. QB being our biggest ? on offense aside from OC, I think either could be very beneficial. Downside being we have little to no knowledge of their playcalling or scheme. That said, unless we go retread at OC, anyone getting the promotion comes with that caveat. David Shaw would fall into this group, were he interested. 

Tier 3 would consist of Byron Leftwich, Kliff Kingsbury, Kellen Moore- guys I'm not sure have the goods for NFL success but have shown enough to warrant consideration to varying levels. I'd hear them out at least, for sure. Included would be Pep Hamilton. 

Tier 4 would be other positional coaches getting the nod from elsewhere. Nobody really stands out to me though. They'd all represent big gambles, imo, regardless of where they came from. 

Tier 5 is other recently made available OC's. Nobody else lost their job that I didn't think was warranted. This would be guys like Getsy or Ken Dorsey. They're all bottom of the barrel reclamation projects. 

Honestly, I have no clue who it will be. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I only have 1 concern with Kliff- if we bring him in, chances are we shoot for Caleb Williams. 

My opinion of Williams notwithstanding, it would tip our hand to the entire league and any move we try to make to move up for him becomes even more expensive. 

Everyone would 100% know there are QBs we're NOT taking because no way they succeed in a Kliff-run offense. 

Not a deal breaker, but a concern I would have. It's impractical, but I'd almost prefer to wait to announce an OC until after the draft. 

Mayhaps.

However kingsbury has produced with QBs. I don’t think it’s mutually exclusive that they try to trade up for Caleb Williams. I’d really like that option as it would make the Raiders much more exciting but would say Daniels (who AP loves apparently), Nix or Penix also play well in his scheme? 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I was told every elite coach in the league would be lining up and begging to coach under AP?

Point me in the direction of someone saying this.  I'm pretty frequent on here but I don't think anyone said that.

I'm asking this to the forum, who on this forum said they fully supported the AP hire and that it was there #1 choice?  Please respond.  I'm just trying to get a feel for how many people are on the AP wagon.

Right now I think there are a lot of things that have to go right in order for AP to succeed.  GM, OC (and offensive staff), draft, free agency.  A lot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Point me in the direction of someone saying this.  I'm pretty frequent on here but I don't think anyone said that.

I'm asking this to the forum, who on this forum said they fully supported the AP hire and that it was there #1 choice?  Please respond.  I'm just trying to get a feel for how many people are on the AP wagon.

Right now I think there are a lot of things that have to go right in order for AP to succeed.  GM, OC (and offensive staff), draft, free agency.  A lot.

It's called a Straw Man

Straw Man: "An intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument." 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I am just wondering when this team is going to figure out that hiring a GM first might be a good way to go.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NickButera said:

It's called a Straw Man

Straw Man: "An intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument." 

Yeah.  I'm just trying to see if there actually is someone on this forum that believes AP was the best choice.

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Yeah.  I'm just trying to see if there actually is someone on this forum that believes AP was the best choice.

I do not think anyone would see him as the best coach but possibly people who really want Bisaccia with how it turned out could see AP as the best choice.  Think about if we did not hire AP and brought in another coach that failed.  People would be calling for Mark to sell the team.  He was almost forced to bring back AP.  I think it was Mark's best option to try and retain the fanbase and players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not think anyone would see him as the best coach but possibly people who really want Bisaccia with how it turned out could see AP as the best choice.  Think about if we did not hire AP and brought in another coach that failed.  People would be calling for Mark to sell the team.  He was almost forced to bring back AP.  I think it was Mark's best option to try and retain the fanbase and players.

Agreed. It was very much dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. We have to hope he continues his successes, gets a strong OC in, and pray our new GM can find a QB. 

I have a lot of hope. When he took over I was very against him as an option, but after watching those 9 games he turned my head a little bit and showed a lot of things we can realistically be hopeful for. 

• Like 1