GDT Week 15 - GB @ CAR. A. A. - Ron Returns

skibrett15

4 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'm still pissed about this. So silly.

You mean you'd rather be playing Ladarius Gunter over Jermaine Whitehead? Lol.

What the hell Ted. It's like he woke up one day and randomly read the FB comments on the Packers page. Surprised he didn't cut Randall and Spriggs on the same day. Least he kept Lenzy Pipkins, that's been huge!

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You mean you'd rather be playing Ladarius Gunter over Jermaine Whitehead? Lol.

What the hell Ted. It's like he woke up one day and randomly read the FB comments on the Packers page. Surprised he didn't cut Randall and Spriggs on the same day. Least he kept Lenzy Pipkins, that's been huge!

I had actually forgetten all about it. I know a lot of people wanted him gone because of leg speed... But damn if I don't want him back right now.

Cut because of ST but our ST blows anyways :/

14 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I had actually forgetten all about it. I know a lot of people wanted him gone because of leg speed... But damn if I don't want him back right now.

Cut because of ST but our ST blows anyways :/

We have good ST!!!!  Our best in a long time under Mac.

The single biggest issue on ST is the FG unit, which seems to be solved with goode returning.

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

We have good ST!!!!  Our best in a long time under Mac.

The single biggest issue on ST is the FG unit, which seems to be solved with goode returning.

Pretty sure we lead the league in ST penalties. Which gets kinda old. Maybe they don't blow but I don't view then as above average.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Pretty sure we lead the league in ST penalties. Which gets kinda old. Maybe they don't blow but I don't view then as above average.

agreed that some of the penalties have been downright awful.  But punt coverage (and punting) has been excellent.  We are also doing very well on Kickoff return, and kickoff coverage.  We are actually doing different types of kickoffs and the coverage teams (outside of the martavis bryant return) have executed it well.

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

agreed that some of the penalties have been downright awful.  But punt coverage (and punting) has been excellent.  We are also doing very well on Kickoff return, and kickoff coverage.  We are actually doing different types of kickoffs and the coverage teams (outside of the martavis bryant return) have executed it well.

Maybe I'm caught in the trap of dwelling on the penalties

Not to be the 1000th person to point this out, but I need Davis to stop fair catching inside the 10, and at this point it's on the coaches as much or more than him. There is so little upside. If you touch the ball you risk a fumble, no matter how small, with devastating consequences. If you let it go and they pin you back an extra 5 yards on a perfect punt, that's 5 yards you can afford to give. If you get lucky and it goes into the endzone that's a bigger gain.

You'd have to have unreasonably high confidence in both Davis' hands and the other teams' punters to continue justifying this move. Even if 70% of the time you let it go inside the 10 and lost 5 more yards, on average you'd still be breaking even in yards with the rest being touchbacks. That's not even accounting for the massive swing in expected points you gain by not risking a rare fumble. I just don't get why this is still a thing.

4 minutes ago, Acrid Josher said:

Not to be the 1000th person to point this out, but I need Davis to stop fair catching inside the 10, and at this point it's on the coaches as much or more than him. There is so little upside. If you touch the ball you risk a fumble, no matter how small, with devastating consequences. If you let it go and they pin you back an extra 5 yards on a perfect punt, that's 5 yards you can afford to give. If you get lucky and it goes into the endzone that's a bigger gain.

You'd have to have unreasonably high confidence in both Davis' hands and the other teams' punters to continue justifying this move. Even if 70% of the time you let it go inside the 10 and lost 5 more yards, on average you'd still be breaking even in yards with the rest being touchbacks. That's not even accounting for the massive swing in expected points you gain by not risking a rare fumble. I just don't get why this is still a thing.

I swear last game he actually did the opposite and let two go he shouldn't have.

8 minutes ago, Acrid Josher said:

I think starting at the 6 or 8 is not ideal, but you can run the full offense.  Starting on the 1 or 2, you are pretty limited.

It also depends on where the other team is punting from... if it's only the 50 or so, then it's pretty likely that the punt coverage is there to prevent the touchback.  If it's a longer punt, it's more likely that it will bounce into the endzone.

In all, he hasn't made the best decisions.  But I've seen some complaining in GDTs for ones that were a little more nuanced, or it was probably true that the coaches said to just fair catch it at the 5 or further.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:42 PM, Shanedorf said:

Panthers coach Ron Riviera on former Packer, LaDarius Gunter

"We really like his length, and he’s been good,” Rivera said. “We like who he is. The hard part is, he really didn’t have a chance to learn what we do when we got him. We’ve used him sparingly, but we like him in practice, we like the things that he brings to the table.

“The nice thing is, we’ve had a chance to sit down and talk to him about Green Bay, the things that they do, the way they do it.

So we’ve got a little bit of a feel for that."

If they really liked what he brings to the table he would be playing more on game day.   

FWIW: 

We're 17th unadjusted ST DVOA.

We're 11th in adjusted ST DVOA.

We're 32nd in Hidden DVOA (Elements outside of our control like kickers making FGs, kickoff distance and hangtime, and punting distance and hang time).

We're 28th in Weather DVOA (DVOA points lost/gained because you're playing in ****ty weather).

All according to Football Outsiders

Unit Scores: 0 is league average

FG/XP: -3.2

Kickoff: -.1

Kickoff Return: 1.7

Punt: 5.6

Punt Return: 2.9

2 Failed XP against Dallas. Missed FGs against Saints, Lions, Bears, and Steelers. Hopefully we've got the long snapper situation figured out.

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

FWIW: 

We're 32nd in Hidden DVOA (Elements outside of our control like kickers making FGs, kickoff distance and hangtime, and punting distance and hang time).

We're 28th in Weather DVOA (DVOA points lost/gained because you're playing in ****ty weather).

2 Failed XP against Dallas. Missed FGs against Saints, Lions, Bears, and Steelers. Hopefully we've got the long snapper situation figured out.

Damn punt team looks pretty good. Vogel ftw

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

FWIW: 

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Damn punt team looks pretty good. Vogel ftw

Vogel and the outside gunners.

Archived