Lions-Bucs: Colossal Time Mismanagement Missed?

TL-TwoWinsAway

8 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

You think the Lions mismanaged the clock but they really just adhered to sportsmanship and kept quickly to end it. Again, if Bowles uses the timeout, your premise is everything else remains the same but that’s not true. 

That’s not the premise at all. We aren’t saying Bowles calls timeout after first down after everything still stays the same. We are saying Bowles gave up…. And then the Lions mismanaged the clock and gave him an opportunity that he didn’t take 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nbanflguy said:

That’s not the premise at all. We aren’t saying Bowles calls timeout after first down after everything still stays the same. We are saying Bowles gave up…. And then the Lions mismanaged the clock and gave him an opportunity that he didn’t take 

This, exactly. Well said.

And I hope my team never "concedes like a gentleman" if they have a chance to win.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

1 minute ago, Nbanflguy said:

Ah, so you wanted him to go back on his word and take back the concession?

This is what y'all are banging the drum for? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nbanflguy said:

So because sportsmanship isn’t a real thing to you, Lions were in the wrong because Bowles could have gone rogue but he didn’t so he gave up and doesn’t care about winning? That’s an even worse argument than I thought you guys had. The not knowing if there was a timeout or not was bad but this is just weird. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

😂 but he didn’t so he doesn’t want to win and should be fired 

Edited by Louis Friend

"First of all, we didn't handle that whole thing well on our end," Campbell said. "We should've bled it more than we did. Look, I'll be the first to admit that, and that's on me. We knew they had a timeout left, and I could tell he wasn't gonna call it. So, that's just, that's how it ended." 

The Lions had the ball and could run out the game. Bowles conceded, Campbell saw it and told Goff to just run out the game disregarding playclock. He now wishes he had not done so because of manufactured drama.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

So because sportsmanship isn’t a real thing to you, Lions were in the wrong because Bowles could have gone rogue but he didn’t so he gave up and doesn’t care about winning? That’s an even worse argument than I thought you guys had. The not knowing if there was a timeout or not was bad but this is just weird. 

These arguments are akin to diving at linemen's knees on kneeldowns. "What, they're just supposed to give up??"

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

If ownership played this right, this could paint them as the heroes if they fire Bowles now instead of likely a lame-duck season incoming.

The Bucs just overachieved. Why would they fire Bowles?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

I am sorry, do you think the coaches came to some handshake agreement across the insanely loud field at the end of the game? The thought process for both coaches was probably something like “with 1:30 left, time out or no timeout, 3 kneel downs ends this game.” Then at Dan Campbell’s own admission the Lions completely brain farted and botched it. Creating an opportunity for the Bucs that previously didn’t exist. Bowles apparently realized this and did nothing 

Edited by Nbanflguy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nbanflguy said:

I am sorry, do you think the coaches came to some handshake agreement across the insanely loud field at the end of the game? The thought process for both coaches was probably something like “with 1:30 left time out or no timeout 3 kneel downs ends this game.” Then at Dan Campbell’s own admission the Lions completely brain farted and botched it. Creating an opportunity for the Bucs that previously didn’t exist. Bowles apparently realized this and did nothing 

What most of us think is that Detroit could kill the clock. Everyone started doing handshakes, including Bowles. Campbell saw that and just told Goff to kill the game.

I don't think that Bowles was paying attention anymore at that point. That is why Dan Campbell didn't care and they "mismanaged" the clock. If Bowles was on the sideline, still prepared to call a timeout then Dan Campbell would not have "mismanaged" the clock. Nobody particularly wants to admit that everyone stopped paying attention, and the winning coach graciously took the "blame".

Pretty silly to assume that 2 pro coaches and a QB and everyone in the huddle  are all simultaneously the ones that don't understand what's going on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

Let's run the 3 scenarios

Kick 2 XPT's
95% conversion rate means you have a 90.2% chance of making both going to overitme
Assuming a 50% of winning in OT you have a 45.1% of winning the game

Kick XPT then Go for 2
95% conversion rate means 1)95% chance you are within 7 and 2)a 5% you are within 8
If 1) then a 55% conversion rate on 2pt conversion means 52.25% chance of winning
If 2) then a 55% conversion rate on 2pt conversion means 2.75% of getting to OT and 1.375% of winning
So combined you have a 53.625% chance of winning

Go for 2 and then XPT or 2 based on result
55% conversion rate means 1)55% chance you are within 6 and 2)45% you are within 8
If 1) then a 95% conversion rate means A) 52.25% you win the game and B) 2.75% you go to OT
If B) then assuming 50% chance of winning in OT is 1.375% you win
If 2) then a 55% conversion rate means a 24.75% you go to OT and a 12.375% you win
So combined you have a 66% of winning

Going for 2 twice is the right decision pretty clearly

Yeah I saw another video on this last night and now it makes complete sense. Just didn't click for me at the time!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Its bizarre to me to call Bowles a bad coach when this team was projected to win 4-7 games and went to the divisional round.

Yep. I get that he's not Andy Reid, but he did a really good job this year. Made a smart OC hire and got a lot of out their defense. Firing him could lead to an upgrade. It could also lead to a terrible coach.

• Like 1