Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Has anyone played Star Wars Destiny? I've played some and it's been fun, though I don't think I'm ever going to be a serious player in it, but it's slightly Magic the Gathering like, but adds in dice and a bit more randomness which I like in some ways. It means that there aren't $300 cards and that someone who spent $20-40 on a deck, and beat someone who spent $100 on a deck.

Wrapped up some more Risk Legacy last night.

I didn't win either game, but some thought I had been completely eliminated from a game, but it turns out that miscounted or really didn't notice that Japan was sitting there open. It caused the game to end quickly. The game works well, and I like how the speed works. We opened up one packet and have another to open before we start the next game, so the strategy is changing slightly.

In 5 days, starting Gloomhaven. I'm learning how to play it now, I want to get it to the table right now as watching these videos for the rules are great. And I'm trying to figure out better ways to sort my box, not buying a broken token insert, costs about $100. I am tempted to look for a cheaper version, but I did a lot of sorting yesterday and might do even more sorting in the next few days before I get it to the table.

13 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Just finished Pandemic Legacy Season 2 last night. Crazy final month. We ended up winning but only got the third tier.

Nice, I need to get my game scheduled again. We're sitting about half way through, but weren't able to play around the holidays.

This is the week of gaming for me, more weeks should be like this:

Played my home brew Dungeons and Flagons game last night. Well, I ran it.
Starting Gloomhaven tonight.
Getting back to Pandemic Legacy Season 2 Friday night.
Running the Curse of Strahd Dungeons and Dragons game on Saturday.

7 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

For the second time in a week, my group busted out Mysterium. I'm just not a big fan. They don't like using the timer and so there's just too much downtime between moves.

When not using the timer, I feel like players should be giving advice to other people who are taking a while on making their decision. I don't actually think the timer should be used, but if it's taking too long then it should be able to be used by the person who is controlling the ghost.

I got Gloomhaven to the table last night, some initial thoughts:

The game itself is actually less complicated than you'd think. There are plenty of things we had to look up, but basically all of them make sense and it's just getting wording/timing right. Once we've played a couple more times, we won't need to go to the rule book.

Building your character is a lot of fun, and it's fun not to have the standard races and fantasy tropes.

We played the first scenario twice on normal (and a lot of places recommend playing on easy for the first time). We lost the first time, and with a bit of luck we could have completed it. The second time we still barely won, but it wasn't as close.

We have a Cragheart - damage to monsters and their surrounding. Generally a lot of area effects.
Tinkerer - healing, ranged damage, a lot of one off use things. Can buff up allies who are next to you (opposite of synergy with Cragheart).
Scoundrel - The glass cannon of the group, can do a ton of damage when fighting an isolated enemy or when there is an ally engaged with the enemy, so has synergy with Tinkerer.

And there were 3 classes we didn't use.

The road events are a lot of fun. The story is building up nicely from what we've read. One thing I can see and I've heard, is I wish more of the missions weren't just kill everything. It being, destroy X item and escape would be interesting.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:40 AM, The Gnat said:

Has anyone played Star Wars Destiny? I've played some and it's been fun, though I don't think I'm ever going to be a serious player in it, but it's slightly Magic the Gathering like, but adds in dice and a bit more randomness which I like in some ways. It means that there aren't $300 cards and that someone who spent $20-40 on a deck, and beat someone who spent $100 on a deck.

I play. It’s really fun and I dig fiddling with character combos. I’ve played a few tournaments but mostly just friendly/casual.

• 4 weeks later...

I've played some more Gloomhaven now, and playing more tonight and then on Sunday. It's a ton of fun, and definitely worth the large price tag that comes with it. I'm itching for it to be this evening already.

Also got to play Galaxy Trucker. It's silly and a lot of fun. Probably a game I could add to my collection at some point in time. Being truckers who are building their ship and then watching it get destroyed is a good time.

I have a few weeks off as I'm inbetween jobs, so I've been starting to play some solo games. I realized in my collection I have Robinson Crusoe, Arkham Horror LCG - started that one, and Legacy of Dragonholt - which I created a half-cat-folk character for it. I think I have a few more.

• 1 month later...

Got my copy of 7th Continent yesterday. I haven't broken it out yet, but it has some of the tiniest minis I've ever seen. And a ton of cards, looks like it should be a good time. I'm planning on running it solo, though debating about doing two characters when running it solo since it's fully cooperative.

Played a lot more Gloomhaven as of late as well. That game is so fun, mainly it's battles, but there are interesting story bits and the more you unlock the more story you get. We retired our first hero on Tuesday and opened up a cool hero/adventurer since once you've completed a secret objective you retire your adventurer. Definitely a game that I'd say is worth checking out, even if you can't play it all that often or would have to play it solo, the game just works so well, and there's an expansion coming out for it that I'll definitely get.

And I've run the Dragon Age Table Top RPG twice now, it's an okay system. I feel like it's a bit more brutal than some, which is fine, and a bit too rule/mechanics focused. Some of that is because I don't know the rules well enough, but I expected more from it than it's given.

Also have been solo playing Legacy of Dragonholt (just once), Arkham Horror LCG (a couple of times), and Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game (a few times). Solo gaming is not as fun as playing with other people, but I like it for putting my head in a creative space. Was also good while I was waiting to start my new job and as at home with nothing to do.