Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

One guy immediately wanted to murder hobo his way through. He decided to attack our cleric as soon as we got outside Death House.

If that happened in a game I was running, that players character wouldn't survive that long, and we'd see if they'd still be at the table with a new character. Though, maybe not the first time that happened. I'd keep an eye on the player. Also, Strahd, definitely will keep an eye on that character (and if they aren't evil aligned, I'd make them that now, because they attacked a cleric). Maybe have Strahd pick up that guy for a chat back at his castle, if the guy decides to attack Strahd, clearly they k now what they are getting into and that it won't go well for them.

30 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

If that happened in a game I was running, that players character wouldn't survive that long, and we'd see if they'd still be at the table with a new character. Though, maybe not the first time that happened. I'd keep an eye on the player. Also, Strahd, definitely will keep an eye on that character (and if they aren't evil aligned, I'd make them that now, because they attacked a cleric). Maybe have Strahd pick up that guy for a chat back at his castle, if the guy decides to attack Strahd, clearly they k now what they are getting into and that it won't go well for them.

He's a Tiefling Bard. I was gonna have Izik be a long lost brother of his, making him actually from Barovia. So Strahd kidnapping him or whatever would actually fit in pretty well.

But, yeah. I plan on making his life Hell for a bit.

10 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Finally had a few free days to Gloomhaven. Trying to learn the Three Spears character after retiring my Scoundrel. Just happened to get the Greed is Good retirement card with the one starting character designed to hoover everything around her.

Nice, I'm finally getting back to Gloomhaven after a month off because the group I play with, everyone had a crazy July. I'm excited to get back to my pacifistic character, the Soothsinger. It's been too long between plays, I really like the game. It works so nicely mechanically. 

On 8/11/2018 at 6:07 PM, bucsfan333 said:

I really like this idea. I told them multiple times when we were rolling characters that there are gonna be instances where brute force isn't a good idea. But they still seem quick to draw weapons and be the aggressors. Hopefully this'll knock 'em down a peg and help get the point across.

I don't wanna kill anyone outright. Well, aside from hanging someone later in the story. But I will. I think we're early enough in the story that I might be able to knock some sense into them. If not, oh well. I tried.

This is really the best instance for a teaching moment in the adventure. A hag can take out the entire party with 1-2 moves if she wants, and also has the ability to cause some psychological damage to a party member. You can make them truly realize they screwed up without killing anybody, and then it also gives you a chance to really amp up the horror aspect with the nightmares you give the member.

But also seems that the bard needs to learn a hard lesson. Attacking other PCs is a big no-no. 

Got Gloomhaven back to the table yesterday.

Was fun to play some more, though the night ended up being late. We pretty easily handled the first scenario, and then the second one, we had the final monster down to 1 HP, then he healed himself back up to 6 HP and that was it, as the last person up couldn't deal enough damage in a single turn.

48 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Got Gloomhaven back to the table yesterday.

Was fun to play some more, though the night ended up being late. We pretty easily handled the first scenario, and then the second one, we had the final monster down to 1 HP, then he healed himself back up to 6 HP and that was it, as the last person up couldn't deal enough damage in a single turn.

It's nice to lose every now and then. Keeps the game exciting.

Yeah, in a game like Gloomhaven, I'm glad we win scenarios more often than not, but I like losing once in a while. Cooperative games I generally want to lose more often than I win, but I want to get close to winning. That's what we definitely did yesterday being 1 point away.

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, in a game like Gloomhaven, I'm glad we win scenarios more often than not, but I like losing once in a while. Cooperative games I generally want to lose more often than I win, but I want to get close to winning. That's what we definitely did yesterday being 1 point away.

My wife prefers to crush co-op games every time.  If i so much as think about increasing the difficulty, she has a panic attack lol.

For that reason she hates playing Dead of Winter with me.  I always insist on including a betrayer card, which drives her up a wall.  She can't stand the possibility of the game, and potentially a person, working against her.

She's not like that with PvP games though.  It's weird.

That is a bit odd, but I can somewhat understand that. I've seen a bit of in people, but not all that much.

I tweeted about cooperative games after playing Gloomhaven. With Gloomhaven, I probably want to win 2 or 3 out of every 4 times. I would say that for other games, like Pandemic, I probably want to win 30-50% of the time in a cooperative games, and then there are games like Say Bye to the Villians/Dead of Winter, where it's more about getting close to winning than actually winning. I get not wanting to lose, but it's odd that once you've beaten a game on one difficulty that she's panicking over increasing the difficulty if you're winning normally.

33 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

That is a bit odd, but I can somewhat understand that. I've seen a bit of in people, but not all that much.

I tweeted about cooperative games after playing Gloomhaven. With Gloomhaven, I probably want to win 2 or 3 out of every 4 times. I would say that for other games, like Pandemic, I probably want to win 30-50% of the time in a cooperative games, and then there are games like Say Bye to the Villians/Dead of Winter, where it's more about getting close to winning than actually winning. I get not wanting to lose, but it's odd that once you've beaten a game on one difficulty that she's panicking over increasing the difficulty if you're winning normally.

I agree.  It's why i like to find games where the base difficulty means you definitely lose some of the time.  Because if we get to choose how hard it is, i know which option she's going to opt for.

Good example is Dead of Winter.  Even at the base difficulty, winning is probably a 50/50 chance.  We played two games last time we sat down to play because we lost within 40 minutes on the first play through.

Played Three Unlock games on Saturday. Was a good time, man are they challenging. We had more issues with the second one than with the third one (we went easy, medium, hard). We had 8 or 9 people, was a bit many, I think six is a good max so that you can really see the cards well, plus fewer personalities. But it worked out pretty well. 

7 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Played Three Unlock games on Saturday. Was a good time, man are they challenging. We had more issues with the second one than with the third one (we went easy, medium, hard). We had 8 or 9 people, was a bit many, I think six is a good max so that you can really see the cards well, plus fewer personalities. But it worked out pretty well. 

We did the island with the plane one and the Wizard of Oz. Great fun, especially if you follow the rules and don't talk to the other members in the island escape. WoO is insanely difficult. Bought three more in Singapore this weekend.

Only issue is there are a few times where there's almost no clue as to why you would combine certain cards, but never been so big a problem that I wouldn't keep playing them. 

Yeah, there are a few puzzles that are a bit over the top on trickiness. Good to know to check to extra rules for some of them. 

10 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Only issue is there are a few times where there's almost no clue as to why you would combine certain cards, but never been so big a problem that I wouldn't keep playing them

Agreed with this, there is almost always some slight reason for everything, but it might not be clear at all. Or, for example, the first one we did, we solved a puzzle without actually having the piece to solve the puzzle because of how the puzzle on the card was.