Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

29 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Got my gf to play Magic today. Which wasn't awful. Don't know if she'll wanna play again but she seemed to pick it up fairly easily.

I got a starter pack, but I really don’t want to start. Could easily become a massive money suck that I really don’t want.

How’s the D&D game going?

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

I got a starter pack, but I really don’t want to start. Could easily become a massive money suck that I really don’t want.

How’s the D&D game going?

I don't know where all my old cards are. Which sucks because I had a pretty sweet red/black vampire deck. So I dropped $100 last week and bought a bunch of cards. I was able to build five decks out of them. And I've got a ton left over. Wanna build a goblin deck.

We're about to meet Madam Eva but I've had someone call out each of the last two weeks so I've had to postpone. I wanna have everyone there for this one.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:32 PM, pwny said:

Could easily become a massive money suck that I really don’t want.

Magic: The Gathering a money suck?! Say it ain't so, Joe, say it ain't so!!

*eyes the storage bin of cards he bought in the late 90s via way too many starter packs and boosters*

Nope, not a money suck at all.

So, lately games over here have been Legendary (Marvel using base and Dark City expansion, have purchased X-Men and Secret Wars vol 1, just haven't tried them out yet), but friends of ours last night brought over Legendary: Aliens and Mansion of Madness. L:A is brutally tough, but I think we all agreed Mansion was a ton of fun. Midway through the game it became interesting as we all had to plan on how not to end up with my wife's character after she became a kleptomaniac and had to steal our stuff. That could very easily be the go-to game for the near future ... except for the fact that some of the later scenarios require 4-6 hours.

I don't think Deck building games are for me. I've tried Legendary and Dice Masters and can't get into it. 

Played Dungeon Fighter last week. Such a great drinking game. Rocked about 4 scenarios in Gloomhaven and we had 3 of us retire in a single scenario. Needless to say, the next scenario was brutal as we were all trying to learn our characters and and rely on my wife's level 9 spellweaver to carry us through before she retired the next scenario, but bringing the difficulty down a level.

Deck builders are interesting, they take a little time to get into. I don't know much about Dice Masters, but I will say that Marvel Legendary isn't the best deck builder out there. I personally like Xenoshyft: Onslaught as a deck builder and I've heard good things about Clank/Clank in Space. I just actually need to get Clank in Space to the table sometime soon. A lot of people like Dominion as a deck builer, but I tend to think it's a little bit boring as it's only a deck builder, there isn't anything more to the game to make it more interesting.

Got in Gloomhaven two weeks in a row. Still so much fun, though, I'm about ready to retire my character, both in the game and mentally. It's an interesting character, but pretty straight forward support, so not quite as interesting as some. But people say that basically every scenario you win by killing everyone, we just had three in a row that are, get to these points, and our characters are not built for moving quickly, or barely moving, but we've beat all three somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

We had three characters retire yesterday while playing Gloomhaven. That means next time we'll be playing, we'll be running a completely different team than we have before. I've played my new one once, and I was hoping that I was going to be more aggro, but I'm kind of support again.

Just left Madam Eva's camp. I threw in an eight Strahd zombie encounter because they destroyed all the wolves I threw at them at the Church in Barovia. Our cleric kept scaring them all away so they picked them off with opportunity attacks.

Then I threw in Vasili von Holtz (Strahd's alias toward the toymaker in Vallaki) as another encounter. His story was that he was just attacked by werewolves and was seeking help to get to Vallaki. My party is so scared of everything that our Bard decided to attack. I had Strahd annihilate him before disappearing into the fog.

I was really hoping they'd let him tag along so I could throw out some dialogue where he got their names and any other info they'd divulge.

Now I've gotta figure out how to hang our warlock in Vallaki since he was the one who saw himself hanging at the gallows earlier. The plan is to have them "save" the church in Vallaki and have that as a reason for them to be labelled as troublemakers. But we'll see how the chaos of Vallaki is gonna play out. 

Should be fun.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Nice, that's a good time. I've had my party do things in so many odd orders, and I've found that a number of the encounters are pretty brutal so it's a bit tricky for them to get that much XP. I haven't done anything with the vision of hanging.

He was genuinely shocked when the hanging body turned to face him. I only had him see it and he didn't tell anyone. Which is so juicy. Then I had Eva refer to him as the dead man. He seemed quite unsettled.

I've gotta figure out how to tell them about St. Abby before I hang him. So they can bring him back. And they can meet Ezmerelda.

Yeah, the vision was definitely shocking for the player that I had see it.

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I've gotta figure out how to tell them about St. Abby before I hang him. So they can bring him back. And they can meet Ezmerelda.

What hook did you use to get them into the lands? For me, it was getting Irena to Krezk so they had a reason to know about the Abbey, but they didn't love it there for some reason.

Just now, The Gnat said:

Yeah, the vision was definitely shocking for the player that I had see it.

What hook did you use to get them into the lands? For me, it was getting Irena to Krezk so they had a reason to know about the Abbey, but they didn't love it there for some reason.

I just used the mists. And I had a guy change characters in the village so I gave him the letter from the Burgomaster.

Also turned his old character into one of Strahd's minions who attacked at the church.

I'm just gonna have them try to drop her off at the church in Vallaki. After they (maybe) fix the ward around it. 

Izik is our Tiefling's half brother. So he's gonna play a part in the chaos.

3/4 done with a birthing class, and the most useful thing has come from it is that I've found another couple who board games, and they are a fun couple to talk to. Already planning on inviting them over for the next board game night that we do, and hopefully they can make it.  You find new people to game with in all sorts of places if you just are open about board gaming.