Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

28 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

3/4 done with a birthing class, and the most useful thing has come from it is that I've found another couple who board games, and they are a fun couple to talk to. Already planning on inviting them over for the next board game night that we do, and hopefully they can make it.  You find new people to game with in all sorts of places if you just are open about board gaming.

"I realize there are two pandemic cards still in the deck and we have multiple outbreak possibilities! BREATHE!!"

(congrats by the way)

On 9/1/2018 at 7:01 PM, bucsfan333 said:

Got my gf to play Magic today. Which wasn't awful. Don't know if she'll wanna play again but she seemed to pick it up fairly easily.

::EDIT::

Post 100,000 in TAST. Neat.

I played a lot in college in a little bit afterward. 

I ended up selling my collection(just my rares) and other cards that had value for $1900. I definitely put more into it than that but getting some cash would be nice. Probably could have gotten a good amount more if I shopped around a bit and sold individually instead of bulk selling to a vendor at a tournament. 

Saw a pretty cool Whodunnit scenario on Reddit for the bones at the church in Vallaki. Think I'm gonna try it.

Also, my party decided to burn the corpses after their big fight with the Strahd zombies and camped not too far away. I'll probably have a werewolf wake them up so he can make one of them a werewolf. Should be fun.

Picking up a few new games:

Raiders of the North Sea
Ice Cool 2 (stand alone game but also takes a penguin flicking game to 8 players)
Gloomhaven Expansion
First expansion for T.I.M.E. Stories
InBetween - two player game that seems like it'll have a bit of a Stranger Things feel.

• 3 weeks later...

Played Clank! In! Space! last night, yes the exclamation points are in the title. It's a good deck builder, the more deck builders that I place the less I like Dominion. I wasn't a huge fan of Dominion to start out with, but now that I'm playing more, these games are definitely meatier and have more theme than Dominion does.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:45 PM, bucsfan333 said:

Saw a pretty cool Whodunnit scenario on Reddit for the bones at the church in Vallaki. Think I'm gonna try it.

Also, my party decided to burn the corpses after their big fight with the Strahd zombies and camped not too far away. I'll probably have a werewolf wake them up so he can make one of them a werewolf. Should be fun.

Man. I either ran it wrong or my group is bad. Or a combination of the two.

They chased the only possible dead end and ended up at the Vistani Camp south of Vallaki. I ended up cheating with Rictavio and had him straight up ask what one of my players knew. He shared that he's actually van Richten and said to meet him at his tower in three days.

But the wild goose chase makes it easier for me to introduce Izik and have the party become troublemakers worthy of the Baron's ire.

Had a doozy of a session last night.

The group ended up finding the bones of St. Andral. I scaled the fight down to two vampire spawn since they're all only level four. The cleric scared one away and it jumped out the window as they killed the other one. They returned the bones and were taken into custody by the guards for disturbing the peace. Our warlock (who saw himself hanging way back) spoke Strahd's name when trying to explain everything so he was sent to the stocks. The rest of the party tried to explain things to the Baron but ended up in the stocks as well. Our tiefling met his brother Izek, who took him to his room to catch up. Now the other three are locked in the stocks over night, with our warlock awaiting his hanging in the morning for trying to escape earlier. We ended the session with a hooded figure setting fire to the big stack of kindling that's being constructed for the sun festival. Guards and even townsfolk have gathered around to see the commotion, as some of the guards are trying (and failing) to put out the fire.

I'd actually hoped to end the session in the morning, after I hang our warlock. Because I think that would've been an awesome cliffhanger. But this chaos and impending doom works too.

I think all the chaos of this session helped with how boring the last session was overall.

Nice, that seems like a solid cliffhanger. I didn't have a Tiefling in the party, which is kind of odd, so I haven't done much with the Izak storyline in my game. I should get that scheduled again, maybe early November we can do a session as life has been busy for a bit. I have the party getting close to back together, though the two who are cursed with lycantropy are now dealing with a full moon.

Played a lot of board games on Saturday:

Sagrada x2
Root
Lost Expedition & Expansions
Cry Havoc

Sagrada is always a fun time. Good, straight forward, logic game, and looks nice on the table.
Root was awesome, an asymmetrical game where everyone has a different way to get points to win. The cats are about building up their existing empire, the birds are about an ordered take over of everything, the woodland creatures want to insight rebellion, and the vagabond is trying to get gear and become friends or enemies with the other groups. Was a nice close game, had a shot to win at the end.
Lost Expedition is always a lot of fun, and the expansions are good as well, one adds in the fountain of youth to the game and zombie conquistadors, another adds in werewolves and one of your guides can become a werewolf(beast). It adds in a some additional fun to a game that is already a lot of fun.
Cry Havoc, another somewhat asymmetrical game where players take on different factions trying to control the crystals on a planet. The natives have a ton of forces on the board, but can get very spread out, the humans are about controlling areas and can do so from adjacent regions, the machines are more combat focused, and the pilgrims are about creating crystals that can help them win. I should have won, but I messed up and forgot to do a scoring ability of mine once and that caused me to lose by one point.  

• 2 weeks later...

Played some more Gloomhaven last night, if you like tactical combat with a bunch of story it's a really good game for it. I've played three different characters and we, as a group have played nine different characters. It's been a ton of fun. If you're looking for a game that is tactical and has a lot of game play to it, Gloomhaven is really worth it. Every time I get a new character, I feel like I dont like the character and wish I was playing a different character, but I end up enjoying it as I figure out how to play the character. The game is more expensive, but very much worth the cost, and it's easy enough to get your own sorting system set-up to make set-up of different tokens and monsters and game much faster than just having everything thrown into a box.

Also, have others played Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger?

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I have a pre-order with CoolStuffInc, and they don't ship the order until the whole order is ready to ship, but the Gloomhaven expansion is now going to ship in March, so that means that everything else is now delayed until then. It was originally listed as November, but that changed just a bit.

56 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Ugh, I have a pre-order with CoolStuffInc, and they don't ship the order until the whole order is ready to ship, but the Gloomhaven expansion is now going to ship in March, so that means that everything else is now delayed until then. It was originally listed as November, but that changed just a bit.

Contact them and see if they'll split the order?

Got the order split up, only had to pay shipping for the pre-order part as the other was over their shipping threshold for free shipping. I'll be getting a few board games soon:

The Marcy Case expansion for TIME Stories
Raiders of the North Sea
Ice Cool 2 

InBetween - 2 player game with a stranger things vibe, from what I've heard about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up two board games on Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals as well as a couple of expansions:

Got a couple expansions for the Arkham Horror LCG and the expansion for Lost Expedition.

Ordered, not on the sale, Rise of Queensdale. A legacy game to play with some people who we've played D&D with because that game is on hiatus.

Two on sale were Scythe and Reckoners. I'm stocked for both of the games, especially Reckoners since I love that series.