Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Didn't scroll through this thread, but I was asked to play in a board game with a friend and his other friends.

I don't play them too often, and I was told it was long and intense.

It's Twilight Imperium. How screwed am I?

Twlight Imperium 3 or 4? Either way, if they know how to play it, you are screwed. This is a day worth of gaming, sorry. If you aren't a huge board gamer, it might be a long time.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:
4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Didn't scroll through this thread, but I was asked to play in a board game with a friend and his other friends.

I don't play them too often, and I was told it was long and intense.

It's Twilight Imperium. How screwed am I?

Twlight Imperium 3 or 4? Either way, if they know how to play it, you are screwed. This is a day worth of gaming, sorry. If you aren't a huge board gamer, it might be a long time.

Yeah, wow. Theret's a wee bit of an on-ramp there.

Have fun. :)

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

There's going to be 5 or 6, one person has played once before. So, a looooong time. I think we agreed to play for 6 hours and stop (take pictures or whatever). 

Edit: 4

Edited by MikeT14

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

There's going to be 5 or 6, one person has played once before. So, a looooong time. I think we agreed to play for 6 hours and stop (take pictures or whatever). 

Edit: 4

That'll be fine to save and good thing that it won't be too long, though that will be quite a while. I haven't played it before, but it's been one that I've been interested in playing.

I broke down and Kickstarted the game: Tainted Grail. It just looks beautiful and it's the type of game that I've been enjoying as of late. I need to get some of my other games like it to the table as well. I really need to start live streaming gaming or something so I can play my solo games and not feel like I'm just talking to myself. That might be trickier with a baby around now, but I might just need to pause games more often.

I really like the fact that this game has that story aspect to it while having tactical combat. It's also destroying all of it's objectives and is going to end up being a massive game, which I approve.

Now no kickstarter for me for a little bit.

21 minutes ago, Woz said:

A livestream or just a YouTube channel of "The Gnat Goes Gaming" would be nice ...

I would lean towards live streaming so I don't have to edit videos, haha.

I am still brainstorming naming ideas, that actually works well with my love of alliteration.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I would lean towards live streaming so I don't have to edit videos, haha.

I am still brainstorming naming ideas, that actually works well with my love of alliteration.

It's too bad that you aren't doing a celebrity stream because "The Gnat Knows Names" works just fine for that.

I am really excited for tainted grail, but now I realize why I don't read the comments on Kickstarter too often. First, people think that once they've kickstarted it, they are in charge of story, character creation, design and everything. Next, it's the idea that you are buying the board game, no, we are not buying the board game. We are investing in the board game and instead of getting interest on the money we are putting in, if it all works, we get a game at some point in time, the timeline they give is just a guess if everything were to go perfectly. Even ones that shouldn't run late tend to run late. And then there are games like Claustrophobia recently that the company already had the game completed and used it as a ordering system means that it makes it tougher on other kickstarters and people on kickstarter to realize that this isn't a pre-order system.

Got to play some Gloomhaven yesterday. Completed one of the scenarios that will help my character retire eventually. Only played one scenario as compared to a couple a night just because of my lack of sleep and it taking time to get baby and humans ready for bead. But it was really nice to do, felt like some more normalcy in life coming back again.

I've also been thinking about the feasibility of an idea where one, myself, could create a board game library that would work like an actual library. The idea would eventually to have a location for gaming, but also game checkout, but to start would be bi-weekly events that people could come and play games at wherever it was set-up (probably a brewery), and then checkout games. Would have a cost to join the library and get your card for life as well as the normal, return it on time or be fined. I know I would personally like it, I wonder how viable it would be to do actually and if it would be something that would grow.

5 hours ago, The Gnat said:

it taking time to get baby and humans ready for be[]d.

It's amazing how much longer that takes, isn't it?

But it was really nice to do, felt like some more normalcy in life coming back again.

Enjoy those moments.

Would have a cost to join the library and get your card for life as well as the normal, return it on time or be fined. I know I would personally like it, I wonder how viable it would be to do actually and if it would be something that would grow.

One major issue: would require you to check every box when it was returned for all pieces in good condition, rules still in place, bags intact, etc. before you could lend it out again.

Then there's the issue of schlepping it to/from the location (I'm assuming not everyone would be okay with a bar, or if the bar will always have room, etc.). If you can leave it there, that's great, but then you have to worry about it "walking away" or getting damaged/destroyed while it is stored.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

One major issue: would require you to check every box when it was returned for all pieces in good condition, rules still in place, bags intact, etc. before you could lend it out again.

Then there's the issue of schlepping it to/from the location (I'm assuming not everyone would be okay with a bar, or if the bar will always have room, etc.). If you can leave it there, that's great, but then you have to worry about it "walking away" or getting damaged/destroyed while it is stored.

Yeah, the top part would be a major issue, though, likely would make sure everything is sorted well so that it makes it faster to sort stuff and check that everything is there.

The moving it around would probably start out with just lugging it around and not leaving it somewhere, but yeah, the idea would be to start with moving it around and then eventually as it grows and if it's successful to figure out some more permanent location or better way to move it around.

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

It's amazing how much longer that takes, isn't it?

It's impressive indeed, though, at this point in time not too much longer, it's mainly that there will be a feeding basically at bed time, which means that we end up having to start earlier.