Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

3 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

^^ As someone in my group that's usually not there for the initial learning of a game, I really like just having the rules briefly explained and having examples of how some of the more unique or complicated mechanics work. I hate feeling like I'm delaying playing for the rest of the group. I just prefer to be thrown in and allowed to make my own mistakes while learning and accept that there's a good chance I'll lose. I do love it when games have an rule card or sheet per player for quick reference. 

My preference may not apply to everyone though, non-gamers might want a more thorough explanation before jumping in. 

This is a good point, too. I think it really depends on the game and how many people are new. If you've got four people and one is new, that person might be comfortable enough with a brief explanation and jumping in (with the caveat that help and explanation is always available). If it's you and your SO playing a game you're familiar with with 3-4 new people, taking more time to explain or playing open games to start might be more viable.

It also really depends on the person. I'm more comfortable saying, "F it, let's see what happens" than a lot of people might be. Of course, I also tend to enjoy reading through rules for a couple minutes, then jumping in.

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:
  • Give lots of examples, it's show and tell not just telling
  • Start with story/theme and then keep tying that in, if it's a space game, keep everything in space as you explain mechanics.

These are what i do.  I try to make it fun and goofy, and make the rules make sense within the context of the story.  Then people are more likely to remember them.

Also, if there are quick reference sheets to distribute to everyone, i usually just run the mechanics real quick and refer everyone to the reference sheet.  Rather than take 20 minutes to explain rules.  The first game usually is a bit more open in dialogue as i explain why you might or might not want to do a particular action.

I'm bookmarking this thread because my every-two-week Game Night that I've been going to with local friends has more or less devolved into nothing but Munchkin, which - while fun, particularly with the expansion pack - can get a bit redundant.

Sentinels of Multiverse is a fun alternative - mostly because it ends up being co-op and there's a very clear effort to avoid copyright infringement on actual comic characters.

I've been craving a good Axis & Allies game for a while, but it's hard to set aside the 8-12 hours it's sometimes taken us to get through a full game.

I had pulled a couple of really old games (I say old... from the late 80's/early 90's) I had to bring to Game Night, then fortunately had looked online to see what they were worth (since I still have the whole sets intact with minimal visible wear on anything) and promptly kept them at home.

Played a number of board games this weekend:

Betrayal at the House on the Hill - Always a fun game, got a scenario where we didn't actually have a traitor (though we eventually would have), so it was us against the game even at the end.

Forget the name of the game, it's where you are trying to get to the opposite side of the board and you have a certain number of walls that you can build to make other players backtrack. It starts with 'q", but I don't remember more. And I'm only 75% sure it starts with 'q'.

Sushi Go Party! - A very fun game, played it a couple of times, with Party you can change up the cards that you use, so the strategy is different every time.

Then on Sunday played another game of SeaFall. The game is definitely a touch long the further you get into the game, but it's starting to become more enjoyable. And there is enjoyable complexity to the game for me at least.

After we played that I played a couple of games of 7 Wonders and a game of Dominion. Both are enjoyable games, but I feel like there are games that do what they do better.

On 7/28/2017 at 6:23 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

The Thing is coming out with a board game called Infection at Outpost 31.  It will be the first board game I will buy in a long, long time.  Now if I could just find enough people nearby who like The Thing as much as I do. 

The Thing game is definitely one that I'm curious about. I like the concept for the game from what I know about it.

Picked up the Lord of the Rings Card Game to play solo and with my wife. Did one play through with a beginner deck that did not go well (beginner decks, particularly for one faction, are not well-balanced). Made a mashup of two factions and crushed it. Looks to be fun. Living Card Game, so plenty of room for growth.

Played the game Lost in R'lyeh over the weekend while camping. It's a fun game, plays super fast, I think the box says 45 minutes, I'd put it at 20 to 25 minutes. Basically you are trying to get rid of cards from in front of you, but before that you have to play through your hand and the whole deck. Other than that, you play cards that either are event cards that allow you to do something, or a number cards, and you always play an equal or higher number. It's a fun light game with a little bit of theme, but mainly is a light card game with some strategy.

24 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Just ordered Hogwarts Battle because of the great reviews here.

Attaboy! Hit me up when you start playing, particularly when you get to Game 6, if you want to talk strategy/ability synergy. When I started playing with my friend who had it, he hated Harry. So when I got it, I wanted to try to figure out how to make Harry good and fun to play. Think I succeeded.

Rules Clarifications and FAQ for when you start playing, if you're curious.