Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

So to answer the question: Legacy of Dragonholt is a good kid friendly RPG that you can do more of the reading for. Say Bye to the Villains is more of a true RPG feel that is focused for kids.

And I just finished listening to the Frosthaven Pax Panel,  you can find information about how it went here in text form:

https://nerdologists.com/2019/12/frosthaven-what-we-know-thus-far/

8 hours ago, theJ said:

Any suggestions for a strategy game that would accommodate a 6 year old?  Trying to find something else my son will like, but that the adults will like as well.

We already have Splendor (he loves it), and Unearthed (he likes this one too).  

He can read some shorter words, but it's better if there isn't a ton of reading.  Math is fine, but if multiplication or division is required it's probably beyond him at this time.

Forbidden Desert/Island might be fun for him.

8 hours ago, The Gnat said:

So to answer the question: Legacy of Dragonholt is a good kid friendly RPG that you can do more of the reading for. Say Bye to the Villains is more of a true RPG feel that is focused for kids.

And I just finished listening to the Frosthaven Pax Panel,  you can find information about how it went here in text form:

https://nerdologists.com/2019/12/frosthaven-what-we-know-thus-far/

I'll look into it.  Thanks!

On 12/9/2019 at 7:54 PM, theJ said:

I forgot to list that one!  We already own Forbidden Island, and he loves it.

Maybe Forbidden Desert should be the pick...

Forbidden Desert is a good step up from Forbidden Island. Horrified, which you can get at Target, is similar in some of the mechanics and feel to Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert, also Pandemic. If you're looking for that bit more of a step up, either of those could work. I think that Horrified might be better for a kid just because of the theme.

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Forbidden Desert is a good step up from Forbidden Island. Horrified, which you can get at Target, is similar in some of the mechanics and feel to Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert, also Pandemic. If you're looking for that bit more of a step up, either of those could work. I think that Horrified might be better for a kid just because of the theme.

The name doesn't sound better, ha

I did my top 5 games from 2019:

1. Deranged
2. Hats
3. Letter Jam
4. Xona: The Secret of Chernobyl
5. Cartographers

I haven't gotten Tainted Grail to the table yet, I suspect it'll rocket to #1.

Some honorable mentions for me are:
Point Salad
The Grimm Masquerade
Skulk Hollow
Cat Cafe
Draftosaurus

Just now, theJ said:

The name doesn't sound better, ha

Yeah, not really. But the theming on it is around Universal "dark" universe, aka, Universal monsters, like the monster from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, and a few more that you can face off against. And it scales, you can just add more monsters to make it harder. Versus disease cubes in Pandemic

Had a board game night on Saturday. Got in a few games:

Played Deception Murder in Hong Kong  twice. Was a fun time, both times the murder got away with it.
Just One - played this once. It's definitely the new go to for party style games for us. Absolutely dominated at it
Ascension - Deckbuilding game, probably the easy version of the other type of deck builder from Dominion. Basically changing market vs fixed market, and I like this fantasy theme,  however loose that might be as compared to Dominion's medieval/trading in the Mediterranean theme. Snuck out a win 81 for first place, 80 points for second place.

Got into the expansion for Gloomhaven last night, Forgotten Circle. I like the story thus far, it seems like more work has been put into it. I also like the idea of parts of the scenario being hidden. I don't think that it was executed the best that they could have, but it's cool in theory, and I like not knowing what I'm going to find in certain locations. It was tough in the scenario we were playing though, because we all retired at the same time, so it's a completely new group of characters, and with that, a completely new way of combat. We don't have a tank, and with everyone learning interesting decks, we had to drop down the difficulty level on the scenario after getting crushed the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

Played so many board games for New Years, starting on New Years eve got through Under the Mask for T.I.M.E. Stories. That was a fun scenario. I thought it was one that people maybe didn't like as well, bu t I thought it was really interesting in how it told it's mystery.

Then yesterday was a massive gaming day:

2 Scenarios of Gloomhaven

Fallout - New to me, and I"m not someone who knows the IP, I think if I had it would have been more fun. The game has a good sandbox style feel that allows you to try a few different things, but overall, feels a bit too slow in getting points.

Aeon's End: War Eternal - Were stomped but it was fun to try that game again.

Marvel Legendary - I really have a love hate relationship with the game, I feel like even trying to curate good combinations of characters you end up with decks not just working as they are being built. I almost think this game is a situation where you have too many expansions. Also, the game takes too long, but I like the superhero theme and I like some of the mechanics.

The Lost Expedition - Got stomped as well in this game, but we put in a good effort.

5 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Marvel Legendary - I really have a love hate relationship with the game, I feel like even trying to curate good combinations of characters you end up with decks not just working as they are being built. I almost think this game is a situation where you have too many expansions. Also, the game takes too long, but I like the superhero theme and I like some of the mechanics.

I find the Marvel Legendary Smart Randomizer app does a decent job of getting an interesting/tough-but-winnable team vs villain setup.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

I find the Marvel Legendary Smart Randomizer app does a decent job of getting an interesting/tough-but-winnable team vs villain setup.

I believe that's what he did. Or maybe he did too much of it thematically and that caused some issues for deck building. Mainly because of all the expansions there's just to much to know, I feel and the game just goes too slowly for a deck builder

45 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I believe that's what he did. Or maybe he did too much of it thematically and that caused some issues for deck building. Mainly because of all the expansions there's just to much to know, I feel and the game just goes too slowly for a deck builder

Fair enough. Any time I pull that off the shelf I have to grab all of the expansion instructions to remind myself of what the various one word abilities mean. It's almost like MtG and a deck builder had a child on the side.