Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Played more Gloomhaven last night, technically Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles. I wrote up a review on it as well this morning, which will be up on Board Game Geek later today. But I like the expansion, I just don't know if it's as cleaned up as it should be. Overall, definitely still Gloomhaven and it adds in some fun new things, but generally just a little bit too long for each scenario because of some of the changes that they  made. And for some the scenarios with set-up and everything were already too long.

I started playing through Tainted Grail yesterday night, streamed it. It was a lot of fun thus far, I made it through probably 1/8 of the first of 15 chapters in 30-40 minutes or so. I really like the big story feel of this game and how dark the setting is.

On 7/25/2017 at 9:43 AM, The Gnat said:

I know we have a few board game players in the forum, so I thought it would be fun to have a thread for board games.

To get it started, what are your top 10 board games?

I've mostly been an RPG player/GM for the last 20 years or so and played Pathfinder 1st Edition until it got replaced last year with a new Edition I just don't think I will enjoy as much. I do still play/GM Starfinder which is Pathfinder in space and a much more streamlined system. I now find myself looking for some form of gaming and am getting back into board games. As noticed by several in this thread the hardest part is finding a group. My wife likes games too but finding stuff we both like has been difficult over the years but she is up to trying some now. Otherwise I think I am going to look for new games that can be solo played.

Top 10 in no particular order as I haven't played enough recently to give a good opinion, just what I own and have bought to try soon.

1. Magic the Gathering - Commander/EDH these days. Played on/off since Beta but have sold my collections about 6 times. I only get to play about 1/month.

2.  Settlers of Catan - Probably the game I've owned the longest as I got my copy in 1996.

3. Scythe - Like this a lot the few times I played it so I bought it a few years ago. 

4. Wasabi - Fun tile laying game where you are trying to complete Sushi recipes.

5. King of Toyko - I need to break out this soon as I haven't used the Cthulhu or Panda expansions yet.

6. 10 Days in Europe - Also own the Americas expansion. This out of print game is actually really fun and I play it mostly when we visit family as my brother owns it too.

7. Masters of Orion - I bought this and have heard it is horrible but I loved the PC game in my youth so will give it a try.

8. Horrified - Bought this one this Xmas and wife and I have played it twice so far and come so close to beating it but haven't yet. 

9 . Forbidden Island/Desert - another Coop family favorite. Horrified will likely be replacing this as a go to.

10 . Terraforming Mars - Just bought this one last week and haven't opened it yet but it's ranked high so will likely move up soon.

• Like 2

Had a board game night this past weekend. I'm still tired from it, somehow it ended up going until about 12:30, which would be fine, but then I woke up around 7, and that wasn't enough sleep.

Two games to the table as well, plus a couple of bar type games that we had some fun with, but we played three games of Criss Cross and then the longer game was A Fake Artist Goes to New York. I really like Criss Cross, but A Fake Artist Goes to New York was the hit of the night because it can be silly since you're trying to draw something as a group, but one person doesn't know what it is. I think that the scoring is a bit wonky and that for a drawing game, I like Telestrations better. It did make me think, are there some games/things that work better as an activity where you aren't keeping score? And is that a bad thing? I think A Fake Artist Goes to New York is a fine game, but it's a really fun activity.

Took a page out of @The Gnat 's book and traded a few Magic Cards for some store Credit at my FLGS and picked up the Kickstarter version of Atlantis Rising tonight. Heard good things about this Co-op and it's got high production value too.

May not have a chance to play it anytime soon but wanted to get it before it was gone from the store. 

On a positive note my wife's sister is moving back to town for a new job and showed interest in getting together for a game night. We are shooting for February,

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1

I've heard good things about Atlantis Rising, and I watched the Dice Tower playthrough of the Kickstarter prototype, it looks like my type of game, I really like cooperative. Maybe my FLGS will get it in at some point in time, right now the two new games I'm waiting to show up are Deranged and Zona: Secrets of Chernobyl 

I was able to get a couple of games of Atlantis Rising in solo this weekend. Barely won both times on the starting Novice mode. Two tiles left game 1 and Three game 2.  It's tough for sure but you can adjust it with the Misfortune deck to be harder or easier. I adjusted slightly easier second game but used a different character and had harder things to construct for the endgame.

Looking to get my wife in a game later this week to see how 2 player works but it is designed for 4 for sure. Lots of replayability which will be nice.

Yeah, that's a game that when I can find a used copy of it at my FLGS that I have store credit at, it would be one that I checkout.

I have rated 251 games on Board Game Geek (probably 300 by years end), and reviewed 58, I think I'm going to make a goal of reviewing another 142 (to get me to 200) by the end of the year, this'll be busy.

Another long scenario of Gloomhaven last night, this one was a bit more straight forward at least, the expansion has some cool ideas, but doesn't always execute.

But, before playing that, got in a game of Draftosaurous. It's a fun game that is a cross between a roll and write and Sushi Go! where you are building your dinosaur zoo by drafting dinosaur meeples, but the scoring is very roll and write like. The game plays really fast and is a ton of fun. Three player game takes 15 minutes and any amount of players should as well because you're only ever drafting 12 dinosaurs and that happens all at the same time. So that means you're going around really fast with a little handful of dinos. The scoring is also pretty simple, so while scoring areas are different, they still score fast. The game says 8+, but that's because of the size of the dino meeples, but if you're watching them, they won't eat them, which is the main reason for the age rating.

I played Tainted Grail again last night, didn't make it out of the first chapter without dying. I don't feel like the game is too hard, I mainly got unlucky on a dice roll. I can definitely see kind of saving at the start of each chapter, tracking what I have, and restarting from there once I progress further. I am loving the game though the story element is really good and each location seems to have something interesting going on at it. I'm tempted to change characters because I know that two of them automatically have some nicer things that they can do, but I would prefer, I think to keep my character, Arev, because there's an interesting challenge to him, and he's going to be flexible to take in different directions. I'm curious to see how run two will go.