Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Traded some more MtG for store credit at a couple of different stores. Decided to pick up some of the Dice Tower Top 10's.

At my FLGS I picked up Arkham Horror the Card Game. (And all the Sleeves for it and some other games.) Again looks like something I can play solo or with the wife if she feels like it. Seems like a lot of expansions already available as well.

Drove to Charlotte, NC today (Concord really) to a bigger Game Store that I play RPG's at a few times a year. Spent time deciding over about 4-5 options that the FLGS doesn't have and decided on Space Base. Will probably be back in a few weeks to pick up a couple more.

I also ordered Res Arcana from Amazon since I tried to get several stores in town to order it but it was not available at their distributors. It's supposed to be here tomorrow. I will likely take a few weeks to assimilate all the new stuff in my collection.

I'm going to a local convention next weekend (TantrumCon) to run some Starfinder but also play some different Board Games as well. I'll post about my schedule early next week.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1

Here's my TantrumCon 2020 Schedule. Most of these games are learn to plays for things I recently acquired or am interested in. 

Friday 1/31

10AM - 12PM: Kohaki - Open Demo for a new game coming out this year (This looks to be a tile laying game about Koi Ponds)

2PM- 6:30PM: GMing Starfinder Society Scenario "Ashes of Discovery" - This scenario has some GM script flexibility and I have run it before. What's not to like about a My Little Ponies/Aliens crossover?

7PM - 8:30PM: Alien Frontiers - Never played but it's a space game so how can it not be good?

Saturday 2/1

8AM-12:30PM: GMing Starfinder Society Scenario " Pact World Warriors" - The PCs become stars on an Undead Reality Show competition. 

1PM-2PM: Space Base - Get to learn how to play one of my newer games.

3PM-4PM: New Keymaster Game Demo - Unveiled for the first time at TantrumCon.

5PM-7PM: Terraforming Mars - Again get to learn how to play this one as well.

Sunday 2/2

12PM-3PM: Core Space - This is a sci-fi miniatures board game. 

3PM-4PM: Azul - Tile drafting game. Never played it but heard good things.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I really need to stop at some point but here is my first backed game of 2020.

That one looks very tempting. I'm cutting back on kickstarter this year, and I know that there are a few big ones that I'm going to want to back:

Frosthaven
Roll Player Adventure
ISS-Vanguard

ISS-Vanguard could be really spending, Frosthaven won't be cheap but hopefully not insane, and Roll Player Adventure, I'm hoping around $50-75 for that one, but no clue. Was a great demo at GenCon last year though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

That one looks very tempting. I'm cutting back on kickstarter this year, and I know that there are a few big ones that I'm going to want to back:

Frosthaven
Roll Player Adventure
ISS-Vanguard

ISS-Vanguard could be really spending, Frosthaven won't be cheap but hopefully not insane, and Roll Player Adventure, I'm hoping around $50-75 for that one, but no clue. Was a great demo at GenCon last year though.

Nice. I'll have to look up ISS Vanguard.

I probably won't be going down the Gloomhaven/Frosthaven rabbit hole since I play RPG's regularly and get that fix that way. Similar reason keep me from the Roll Player line of games.

I could afford them but would have no time to play them as I am currently working 50-60 hour weeks and have been the last 5 months.

In addition to having the well-known combat mechanisms of Gloomhaven,

This ******* killed me.

Like yeah, those Gloomhaven combat mechanisms are well-known.  Obviously.

I wish i could get into games where this wasn't an hilarious proposition.  But yeah.  lol.  I'm a plebe.

2 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I probably won't be going down the Gloomhaven/Frosthaven rabbit hole since I play RPG's regularly and get that fix that way. Similar reason keep me from the Roll Player line of games.

I would say that Gloomhaven/Frosthaven scratches a bit of a different itch for me than an RPG, it's more video game RPG than pen and paper, unless of course you meant video game RPG. 

Roll Player is a different animal, and this is going to be a bit more dungeon crawl style focused than the main game, but if you like rolling up characters, it's okay. I personally like Sagrada better for dice placement/dice drafting style game, both are fun though.

7 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I would say that Gloomhaven/Frosthaven scratches a bit of a different itch for me than an RPG, it's more video game RPG than pen and paper, unless of course you meant video game RPG. 

Roll Player is a different animal, and this is going to be a bit more dungeon crawl style focused than the main game, but if you like rolling up characters, it's okay. I personally like Sagrada better for dice placement/dice drafting style game, both are fun though.

Yeah I meant Pen and Paper. I'm not much of a video gamer other than WoW about 10+ years ago.

I do want to give Sagrada a try and that is something the wife and I are looking to head to the FLGS and play when we get a chance.

I beat Chapter 1 of Tainted Grail last night in 45 minutes after losing it in 90+ minutes the first time. The story is awesome and even racing through things, targeting what I'd already found before, it was a great time and I saw bits of story I hadn't seen before. Now we're venturing into stuff that I don't know anything about, which is going to be exciting.

• Like 1

Got back from my first convention where I just played board games.  I will definitely be going back next year as it's close to home (30 Min) and I can volunteer again to get my badge.

I GM'd two Starfinder RPG games on Friday afternoon and Saturday Morning. Both went very well with six players each and mostly new players. Lots of fun was had especially in the AVP game (Aliens versus Ponies).

Friday Board Games

Kohaku - This was a demo for a new game that is backed and coming out in a month or two. You draw two tiles from a pool in the middle (one fish and one water feature) and build your own Koi pond until all of the fish tiles are placed. Then you score points for the different features and how you placed your tiles. It was a very serene game and people just worked on their own ponds. I ended up in a tie and lost the tie breaker by one fish. We were playing with Cardboard tiles but the finished game will have clear acrylic  ones that look like the fish are underwater. It will be a very pretty game and I can see lots of replayability with this one.

Alien Frontiers - We only had two players show up for this one but I remember having a good time playing it and picked it up pretty quickly. Not sure if I will add it since I have a couple of other space games I like better now.

Saturday Board Games

Space Base - This is an Engine Building game with players rolling two six siders and earning resources/points on their turn and other players turns eventually. I was told its similar to Machi Koro but with a space theme. I got to play this for about an hour before some of the other players had to go but think I will like this if I can get the wife to play. I bought it last week and will likely try and get a full game in later this week.

Parks Memories - This was the Keymaster Games new game. It's a memory matching game where you try and collect three pairs of the same National Park image. It was a fun little quick game (20 min). 

Parks - A friend called this his favorite game of 2019 so we grabbed a copy and I will say it was enjoyable and very pretty. It;s a worker placement where you have two hikers that go through 4 seasons and collect resources to allow them to visit various national parks. Reminded me a little bit of Takeido as you prevent other hikers from landing in your spots. Player with the most points at the end wins.

Terraforming Mars - I bought this about a month ago and have been looking forward to learning to play it. Again not something I think the wife will like but it does have a solo mode. Picked it up pretty fast and while I didn't win I can see the appeal even though there is a lot going on. I am going to need like 250 sleeves for this bad boy though because there are lots of cards as the version I got has an expansion included. I can see why this is a fan favorite and will likely be one of mine as well.

Sunday  Board Games

I was pretty tired so cancelled the two games I had today but went back for one last trip to the dealer room.

I was able to get a few really good deals this weekend and picked up two games and their expansions.

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and Undercover Allies, along with the 2015 Kickstarter Promo Pack.

Sub Terra and all of it's expansions, Graphic Novel and some other stuff in a big box that had some minor damage but all of the component were there. Got a $40 discount on the whole thing.

I had heard good things here and elsewhere about Deception and Sub Terra is another Co-Op with a Horror theme so was a winner with the wife themewise.

Overall had a good weekend, met some good people and may have a line on some more local board game opportunities.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1

Finally was able to get Arkham Horror the Card Game to the table last night for a 2 player game with the wife. I think I am going to like this one a lot even though we got trounced the first time out. She was able to escape at least after I lost my mind.

• Like 1

We're still playing the same dnd campaign we started in like April of last year.

We finally made it to the dwarven city of Goldsboro. The city's broke (nobody outside the king/counsel knows) and the king made the counsel members buy back their seats. They dug too deep and dug into the Underdark.

Anyway. There's one seat left o the counsel. The guy who had it can't afford his seat back. There's another guy whose grandfather used to have the seat and he wants it. But he can't afford it either.

My players joined an underground organization whose trying to get footholds throughout the continent. They've been tasked with helping one of the two vying for the last seat make it to the counsel, but only if he'll aid their expanse.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew because I've yet to figure out ways they can actually accomplish it. 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Finally was able to get Arkham Horror the Card Game to the table last night for a 2 player game with the wife. I think I am going to like this one a lot even though we got trounced the first time out. She was able to escape at least after I lost my mind.

I really enjoy Arkham Horror LCG, I haven't played it a ton yet, but I've gone through the two scenarios out of the box, and they are a lot of fun. I need to get back to it sometime. I'm trying to decide if it's something my wife would like or not.