Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

I may have bitten off more than I can chew because I've yet to figure out ways they can actually accomplish it. 😂

The trick is to tell the players that they are going to be helping one of them and then let the players come up with how they can help until they've done enough that you feel like they've accomplished it. Then you don't have to come up with any ideas and you can always just ask the players for more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

The trick is to tell the players that they are going to be helping one of them and then let the players come up with how they can help until they've done enough that you feel like they've accomplished it. Then you don't have to come up with any ideas and you can always just ask the players for more.

I tried that in the last town they were tasked with getting a foothold in. And they're not very creative. Hopefully yet. They need more clearly defined goals.

Could you toss out prompts kind of like:

Implicate the other person going for the council seat is corrupt

Get a merchant to side with the person the group wants to get in

Convince another noble to help pay for the seat for their person

Some general stuff like that, give the players some ideas and then let them decide how to do that, don't even give them the name of the merchant or noble, let them decide how they want to go about doing that, and hope that it generates more ideas from that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I really enjoy Arkham Horror LCG, I haven't played it a ton yet, but I've gone through the two scenarios out of the box, and they are a lot of fun. I need to get back to it sometime. I'm trying to decide if it's something my wife would like or not.

I would recommend the App for the Chaos bag. It saves a ton of time. Also one thing I have started doing before we play something is find a YouTube video of a reveiw or play through of a game and watch it with the wife to see if she has interest. It also lets us get a feel for how things play out.

That helped with Arkham Horror.

We're officially back into Kickstarter season, I guess we were probably a couple of weeks ago, but there's always a slightly slower period for December and January. Now, if the ones that I kickstarted last year would start showing up, that would be great. I suspect that August through the end of the year will be busy in terms of them coming in for me.

On 02/02/2020 at 7:32 PM, SirA1 said:

Got back from my first convention where I just played board games.  I will definitely be going back next year as it's close to home (30 Min) and I can volunteer again to get my badge.

Are there drinks at a convention like this?

Seriously though, it's wild and impressive to me, the depth and breadth this sort of "gaming" can take on.  I'm not even sure i could manage to be a fly on the wall at a convention like that, without someone making me roll a dice or something.

Played more Tainted Grail last night. The game is so good. The story is really well done and if I weren't such an idiot that I always at least tried in combat and I ran away more often, I think that things would be going a little bit better for me. It's a really fun game though, love the grim dark fantasy setting and I like how there's a resource management piece to the game, so it's not just reading a story, there's more to it.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:08 AM, Tugboat said:

Are there drinks at a convention like this?

Seriously though, it's wild and impressive to me, the depth and breadth this sort of "gaming" can take on.  I'm not even sure i could manage to be a fly on the wall at a convention like that, without someone making me roll a dice or something.

There is the hotel bar so you could get drinks there. Some friends of mine run a small con where they go camping and drink beer while playing RPG's over a weekend.

Monster actually was a sponsor though so you could get Free Monsters from the con suite.

Yeah a room with 200+ people playing games was a pretty awesome site.

• Like 1

At GenCon it's only 70k in terms of people but there is a lot of game play. For drinks, didn't ever actually check to see if there was drinking in the convention itself, but I suspect you could sneak in a flask and no one would care, but they do a big pavilion set-up outside so they had an official beer last  year.

• Like 1

So the guy whose grandfather lost his seat lost it because he created a couple iron constructs (iron golems, but levelled way down) to work in the prison. But they went berserk and the prison was sealed.

He had to step down in disgrace probably. If my players can ever find the grandson and talk to him, they might find out about it.

Taking care of the golems might help clear their name and clear a way onto the counsel.

Totally ripped the idea from an old episode of Critical Role.

I have a group of people who are not capable of complicated board game instructions, but I'm not about to play Monopoly every game night.  I've been trying to convince them to try other games and branch out a little.

I made them play Infection at Outpost 31 to mixed results. 

I bought Spy Alley and that was a hit.  Simple, yet intense. 

I'd really like to progressively get them into the games that are talked about in this thread, but I don't think they're there yet, so I'm once again asking for your input on a few games. 

Ravensburger Jurassic Park Danger
Ravensburger Horrified: Universal Monsters
Ravensburger Jaws

Are those simple enough, yet not too much like a kid's game?  I was thinking about having a game night once my basement is completely finished and I get my 86 inch TV and 700 dollar sound system all set up and thought it would be fun to get one of these and play it while the movie plays in the background. 

Remember, SIMPLE is key for them, but I'm going to be spending the money on these games and I don't want to be buying something that's basically a kid's game that I won't enjoy.

Outside of that cooperative type game or however you want to describe it, I was also looking at the following games:

Tiny Towns
Werewords (They LOVE playing mafia in person, but I hate it because it's so redundant.  This looks like it might be a fun compromise there)
Cockroach Poker
Cover Your Assets
Anomia

Please and thank you. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

@Outpost31

The wife and I like Horrified a lot. It a game kids could play because it's not scary horror but is an adult game imo. Lots of strategy and replay ability.

Games only take about 45 min. Plus a small amount of setup time.

I would recommend getting it somewhere like Target or B&N as it will save you about $10 of a FLGS price.

• Like 1

Just now, SirA1 said:

@Outpost31

The wife and I like Horrified a lot. It a game kids could play because it's not scary horror but is an adult game imo. Lots of strategy and replay ability.

Games only take about 45 min. Plus a small amount of setup time.

I would recommend getting it somewhere like Target or B&N as it will save you about $10 of a FLGS price.

I was looking on Amazon.  So you think those other Ravenburger games would be more adult type strategy games then?  Because I really like the idea of having the movie playing while playing the game.