Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

On 2/26/2020 at 12:44 PM, Heimdallr said:

Does anyone know any games that work well for both 2, 3 or 4 people? It is hard to find games that are good for both a couple or a small group

Best three player game I know is called Oh Hell. It's played with regular cards. You can play with 3 or 4 players but not with 2. Very fun game takes about 40 minutes. Easy to understand once you get going and lots of strategy involved. 

If you can't find the rules on Google, @me and I'll explain 

3 hours ago, N4L said:
On 2/26/2020 at 3:44 PM, Heimdallr said:

Does anyone know any games that work well for both 2, 3 or 4 people? It is hard to find games that are good for both a couple or a small group

Best three player game I know is called Oh Hell. It's played with regular cards. You can play with 3 or 4 players but not with 2. Very fun game takes about 40 minutes. Easy to understand once you get going and lots of strategy involved. 

If you can't find the rules on Google, @me and I'll explain 

A few in my closet that i think work well for 2, 3, 4 and even 5 - 

Suburbia.  I think it scales well for any number of players.  You can even play solo.

Istanbul - Playing with 5 is a challenge because of how jammed up the board gets, but it's fun that way.  Playing with two is a bit more of a leisurely stroll through the market, but the underlying game play doesn't change.  You're still trying to make efficient moves.

Small World - Literally comes with maps for 2, 3, 4 or 5.  They put a lot of thought into scaling it.

• Like 2

Have any of you done minis painting?

I'm extremely social and get my energy from that, so I'm in slight panic type mode because of possibly quarantining and already planning on social distancing and a number of social interactions being cancelled. So I'm trying to come up with a hobby, ideally related to a hobby I already have, such as board games or RPG's, that I can pick up so I don't go as stir crazy. Thus far painting minis is my plan, so any suggestions on paints? Or on games to paint first?

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/TheScando

Those are the games I have, I'd consider ordering a game as well.

44 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Have any of you done minis painting?

I'm extremely social and get my energy from that, so I'm in slight panic type mode because of possibly quarantining and already planning on social distancing and a number of social interactions being cancelled. So I'm trying to come up with a hobby, ideally related to a hobby I already have, such as board games or RPG's, that I can pick up so I don't go as stir crazy. Thus far painting minis is my plan, so any suggestions on paints? Or on games to paint first?

Friend does mini-painting. He got into it about 4 years and has slowly gotten much better over the last few years. Start with the cheap air brush and cheaper paints. Be prepared for unholy levels of patience. There are a couple subreddits where you can post your work and people will give you tips on how to improve.

I played 5 games of Dresden Files Cooperative Card game last night with a friend over Zoom. Worked out pretty well, I need to adjust the camera I had on the board to get a better angle, but other than that, he could see the tokens and cards well enough. It works because we both have the game so he was able to match my board when he needed to, but more so, both of us could have our own hands of cards. Not the same as playing in person, but it'll work for a little bit for not driving me insane do to lack of seeing people.

41 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I played 5 games of Dresden Files Cooperative Card game last night with a friend over Zoom. Worked out pretty well, I need to adjust the camera I had on the board to get a better angle, but other than that, he could see the tokens and cards well enough. It works because we both have the game so he was able to match my board when he needed to, but more so, both of us could have our own hands of cards. Not the same as playing in person, but it'll work for a little bit for not driving me insane do to lack of seeing people.

My brother did the same with his friends playing Power Grid.  It can work.

Oooh, I'll check out that video.

Tomorrow night going to try and do Gloomhaven via Tabletop Simulator. Won't be the same as in person, but should be a lot of fun.

I'm also thinking of trying to play Welcome Too, Criss Cross, and Second Chance over Zoom coming up here sometime this week.

Did a playalong of Welcome To last night, not me leading it, but it was a good time. Definitely worked easily across a stream as long as the people watching either have the game or can print off the sheet, which you can on Board Game Geek.

Board while working, so I decided sort/rank my board games using PubMeeple's ranking engine, my top 10 has changed some:

1. Gloomhaven
2. Marvel Champions
3. Blood Rage
4. Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition
5. Betrayal at House on the Hill
6. Tainted Grail
7. Pandemic Legacy Season1
8. Xenoshyft: Onslaught
9. TIME Stories
10. Icecool

Frosthaven is live on Kickstarter, I went with the all in $240 pledge at this time, I want the organizer, and the metal coins are cool but not needed, same with the sticker pack, but the organizer plus base game is going to be a pretty similar price, plus the game will be on the Foreteller app, which will read all the narration for you, which is awesome, so you get that for free as well. Also, it's been live for about 30 minutes, and it's at $1.35 mil or so, probably $1.4 mil by now.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Frosthaven is live on Kickstarter, I went with the all in $240 pledge at this time, I want the organizer, and the metal coins are cool but not needed, same with the sticker pack, but the organizer plus base game is going to be a pretty similar price, plus the game will be on the Foreteller app, which will read all the narration for you, which is awesome, so you get that for free as well. Also, it's been live for about 30 minutes, and it's at $1.35 mil or so, probably $1.4 mil by now.

Was over 2.5 million last I checked. I just can't get on board right now. I don't have a group that will play that often. Could role solo or two player with my wife, but she isn't as into that type of game so it wouldn't see the table enough at that price point. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Was over 2.5 million last I checked. I just can't get on board right now. I don't have a group that will play that often. Could role solo or two player with my wife, but she isn't as into that type of game so it wouldn't see the table enough at that price point. 

Yeah, without a group it's hard. I knew that I'd be getting it, had I not had the group though, I'd be doing the $100.