Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

On 5/10/2020 at 2:32 AM, bucsfan333 said:

Dnd is quite fun if you get the right people. 

Agreed, and even at a distance it works well. I'm running for three people on Zoom and it's been a lot of fun even only being two sessions in. The first session was unique, had them at level 0, so they sucked at everything, but there was a Tower that gave them their powers that they had to complete some challenges in. Now they've joined a school of Dark Arts and Assassination, because of course players would pick that option, and we spent a whole session just on role play with them trying to figure out who might be a spy in their class.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Do you guys play stuff on Boardgame Simulator? I just got it and find the controls so clunky

I've done TableTop Simulator.

I thought it was a bit clunky, but the ones that have scripted mods work better, anything where they just put up the game pieces/images but didn't script it to do some set-up/clean-up for you, it takes a long time.

54 minutes ago, The Gnat said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Do you guys play stuff on Boardgame Simulator? I just got it and find the controls so clunky

I've done TableTop Simulator.

I thought it was a bit clunky, but the ones that have scripted mods work better, anything where they just put up the game pieces/images but didn't script it to do some set-up/clean-up for you, it takes a long time.

Oops, I meant tabletop simulator. I didn't know they had ones that had scripts! The only one that I played that did was a mini golf one. 

I'm going to try playing Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game tonight via Zoom with some friends. It should work pretty well, we'll just all have to keep notes, but it's 100% cooperative, and we can go back and look at previous information that we've gathered. I'm curious about it, because it's supposed to be an in depth detective game, each case is only 35 cards, but should take about 3 hours.

Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game worked quite well via Zoom last night. We didn't do great on the case, went down a rabbit trail for a little bit at one point, but overall thought the game as a ton of fun. I think it'd be a bit easier in person, but definitely one that isn't bad online. The first case took about 3 hours to get through, and that's with it having 35 cards of which we saw 23 of them, but time went by so quickly. The story is very rich and engaging and you always feel like you're learning more, and while we could guess at parts of the story pretty early on, getting the details of it was a lot of fun. Definitely recommend it for a cooperative deduction and mystery game.

D&D was good last night.

Got in a little more role play and roll play. They got to do some combat for the first time with having a level, was 4 on 3 because they'd antagonized their fourth into wanting to leave their group, and it was their chance to be able to pick. It was close, but in the end they fell in combat. But definitely some interesting things being set-up that came out of it, and while I'd scripted the session to as how I thought it was going to go, I wasn't disappointed when it generally did go that way.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:20 AM, bucsfan333 said:

It seems pricey, but Matt Colville walks through why Fantasy Grounds is pretty dope.

I like it a lot, but no longer have a license. We are using Roll20, but The Foundry releases next week, I may try that for $50......

• Like 1

I'm through three cases of Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game, and if you want to feel like you're in a cop show, it's a great simulation of that. A case can really only be played once and takes 3 hours, but they are amazing thematic experiences, and they do a good job of changing up what you're doing, but creating a fairly coherent story throughout all of the cases. Definitely a good time, and with a little work, one that anyone could play with people over Skype/Zoom/Hangouts right now if you wanted.