Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Played a game of Ticket to Ride over this weekend with my family. If you haven't played it, it's a good light weight game that anyone can pick up. There's some luck involved, but fits into the weight of game that Catan is, but is better. We had the oddest score line I've ever seen. My dad won with 140 points, I came in 2nd with 116 and my wife and mother tied in 3rd with 115, my brother came in last with 38. It isn't like he's a bad player at this game, in fact he's very good, but just by the luck of it, he was going for some of the same train lines that my mother and I were, and then my father and I were so he just had is board cut down so he couldn't do a big point route that cost him at the end. It was funny because before tallying up the routes that people had completed at the end of the game, my brother and dad were tied in last place.

My brother and sister-in-law have the game.  I enjoy it.  They actually wrote their own route cards because they found out after playing many games (just the two of them), that they could predict major routes (the ones on the card) just based on one city-to-city minor route.  So they doubled the amount of route cards so as not to destroy those who don't play often.

Playtested my board game idea last night. Had a full five players for it, and it worked okay. I figured the big issue would be the pointage on different scoring locations and that was the issue. But the base game seems to be pretty solid, I need to do some wording update on the points and a few wording updates in the game rules, but it felt like I was onto something. The player powers were too variable as well, so I need to reign those and get those completely balanced, but we talked about a fun option for that as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Playtested my board game idea last night. Had a full five players for it, and it worked okay. I figured the big issue would be the pointage on different scoring locations and that was the issue. But the base game seems to be pretty solid, I need to do some wording update on the points and a few wording updates in the game rules, but it felt like I was onto something. The player powers were too variable as well, so I need to reign those and get those completely balanced, but we talked about a fun option for that as well.

Going to take it to kickstarter if you get the kinks worked out?  Or just a private game for friends and family?

On 7/25/2017 at 0:02 PM, domepatrol91 said:

I'm also looking at that HP game for the wifey.

We own Arkham Horror. It's a little heavy and can take a while but it's really fun, it's a coop game too. Usually our group consists of my wife, her brother and I, sometimes my mother in law too. You can also play alone which is really nice for learning the game so you can explain the rules to others, but I've never felt so alone as playing Arkham Horror and drinking whiskey at 10am, all on my lonesome.

Munchkin is a card game, but we bought the Deluxe edition which comes with a board to keep track of everyone's levels and provide labels for your draw piles and discard pile. 

Arkham Horror is so much fun. Probably my all time favorite board game (I'm a Lovecraft nerd). And yeah, playing it solo is an experience unto itself (even without the whisky).

Has anyone played Betrayal at House on the Hill? I've gotten in a couple games of it last week. It's built so that you start playing cooperatively exploring a house, at some point in time though, an event triggers and someone becomes a traitor. It feels often a lot like horror films with the different traitor scenarios, but it's a lot of fun. I have the expansion for it as well, so one of the games that we played we ended up playing Rocky Horror Picture Show.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Has anyone played Betrayal at House on the Hill? I've gotten in a couple games of it last week. It's built so that you start playing cooperatively exploring a house, at some point in time though, an event triggers and someone becomes a traitor. It feels often a lot like horror films with the different traitor scenarios, but it's a lot of fun. I have the expansion for it as well, so one of the games that we played we ended up playing Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I have. It's fun, though some of the descriptions of how things should play out aren't as helpful as they could be, I think.

Cool mechanic, though.

20 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

It's fun, though some of the descriptions of how things should play out aren't as helpful as they could be, I think

That is definitely the big knock on the game. I agree with it for the most part as there are some scenarios that don't make a ton of sense, especially from the traitors side of thing, but overall I think the game is thematically really good and the variety is a lot of fun.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

That is definitely the big knock on the game. I agree with it for the most part as there are some scenarios that don't make a ton of sense, especially from the traitors side of thing, but overall I think the game is thematically really good and the variety is a lot of fun.

I've always enjoyed playing it (think maybe 3-5 times).Haven't played the expansion though. Does it add anything other than more scenarios?

1 minute ago, fretgod99 said:

Haven't played the expansion though. Does it add anything other than more scenarios?

Not really, just added tiles, events, omens, items, and scenarios. But really that just means more scenarios. I do think that they do a better job of having more clear scenarios. And the scenarios are somewhat more themed. We played what was basically The Rocky Horror Picture Show scenario, and it was great.

What RPG's have people played?

I've played:

• D&D
  • Star Wars Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion
  • Nefertiti Overdrive

But I've recently gotten the books for:

• 13th Age
  • Dresden Files - Fate
  • Cold Steel Warden
  • Fiasco
  • Dreamchaser

I'm going to try to play a few new systems when I go to AcadeCon in November. It's a small RPG convention in Dayton, Ohio. Not a great location, but it's fun because it's small and because we've been there before and know a number of people.

Played the game Roll Player yesterday after playing a bunch of the Dresden Files cooperative game.

Roll Player is a fast game where you are creating what basically amounts to a D&D character. It's not super complex though there can be complexities to it, or things you need to think about, depends on how quickly you can do addition as well. I liked the game well enough, however, it felt like part of a game. It just kind of ends and you end up being super powered characters (most of the time). Seems like it's not as exciting as it could be and it's more of a puzzle game where you don't interact with the puzzle that the other players have really at all.

Bought two new games, because I clearly need more.

Captain Sonar: Bought this real time game for a bachelor party, it's 8 players, two teams trying to figure out where the enemy sub is and sink them, but things have to be done in a certain order, looks like a ton of fun.

Robinson Crusoe: Super hard game, cooperative, lots of moving parts, but scenario based, and apparently feels like you are playing Robinson Crusoe in one scenario, Swiss Family Robinson in another, and King Kong in yet another, and there are more scenarios after that. I'm really excited for this, it's on sale for cheap at Cool Stuff Inc right now, if you buy on Amazon or through Portal Games website $90+ with shipping because game is made on Poland, or was designed there anyways, Cool Stuff Inc right now, $40 with shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

Captain Sonar

Got to play this at a bachelor party (actually was the one who bought the game for it). It was fun, we had one person who thought it would be too crazy if it was real time so we did the turn by turn base of the game, but it was a lot of fun. I really want to play it as a frenzied real time game. Definitely a lot of fun, I like the strategy for it, and I like the craziness of it that is going to be even crazier in real time.