Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

I got Hogwarts Battle to the table for a second time last night. Was a ton of fun, played the first two "books" and had a blast with it. I really like the speed of the game and the feel of the game, seems nice and thematic for the books. I also like that the first few games really just teach you the game, I want to get it to the table again soon and continue the story.

Also, playtested my game again, going to have some massive overhauling chunks to do again, but it's getting better/more balanced. Had one flaw I knew that was going to be exploited in the game exploited in it, but was good, and got some good feedback on it again.

On 10/6/2017 at 9:39 AM, The Gnat said:

I got Hogwarts Battle to the table for a second time last night. Was a ton of fun, played the first two "books" and had a blast with it. I really like the speed of the game and the feel of the game, seems nice and thematic for the books. I also like that the first few games really just teach you the game, I want to get it to the table again soon and continue the story.

My expansion finally came in. Wife and I tried Box 1 (of 4) quick. Got owned hard. It'll be a fun addition, but there are definitely starting villain groups that you do not want to see. Let me know when you've played Book 6.

• Like 1

Played two new games last night:

Betrayal at Baldur's Gate - I already love Betrayal at House on the Hill, and I play D&D, even though I have never played Baldur's Gate itself. I like it just as well as the original game. I think that there are some good tweaks/additions to the game that I would love if they would do for the original as well, a small conversion pack to the new rules or something like that. Overall, it's 99% the same game just slightly reskinned but a lot of fun.

Exit - Forget the exact scenario we played, but basically  it's an escape room game in a box, and not a big box at that, it took us 80 minutes to complete, so it was sufficiently challenging, though we could have gotten it done faster had it been one of the players copies instead of the game stores copy for people to test out, because there are a few things that you can destroy/draw on that would make it easier by a little ways. It makes me want to try another one, I might have to buy one of my own since they aren't that expensive. Issue is they are generally single time use games, though maybe, possibly if you want to keep the game generally together, you can pass it around between several people to get multiple uses out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to bite the bullet and kicked the base game of 7th Continent (through the expansion for it). It seems like a really odd game, you explore and try and figure out how to get rid of a curse on you. It just seems like a really interesting coop choose your own adventure type of game. I will say, there is just over an hour left on it, and there is enough in it that it's not likely to be a published game that you can pick up through a game shop, so if it looks interesting, probably want to grab it now.

Played Tales of the Arabian Nights last afternoon. I would say it's barely a game, more a choose your own adventure that someone tacked points onto. However, it is pretty fun, you get to go through a lot of different and fun encounters. I wish that there was a bit more of actual game to it as you get skills, but you can't use them all that often, because, like with a choose your own adventure, what you have as options gives you only the vaguest sense of what might be coming in terms of skills that you might need. I wouldn't play with more than 3-4 people, and I think that 3 would be ideal. The game took 3 hours with 4 people, and it's really light on being an actual game. And we were doing some house rules that I think made the game a lot better.

Got the expansion for Hogwarts Battle. Still a great game to play. My wife and I probably play a game at least twice a week. The expansion adds a couple fun things and definitely ups the challenge level. Base game, we played the final set (Book 7) probably 10 or 12 times, mixing up characters we played, adding stuff to make it harder on us and up the challenge. We lost Book 7 maybe twice?

Box 4 of the expansion, which is the final/replay set, we've played four times now. We're 2-2. One win was a blowout, one was pretty close, one loss was a blowout, and one was pretty close. We also had a few losses in the first couple boxes (kept getting bad villain/creature match ups).

So definitely more challenging, but still very fun. This is all with two players. The game is a bit more difficult when you add players. We've got friends who also play, so if we give it a go with 4 I'll report back. I expect it'll be pretty challenging though! Might need a couple cracks at it to figure out the best combinations of characters and abilities.