Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

3 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Muchkin itself, I agree, it's a bit cut throat, so the first person to do really well won't win, but the second person often does because everyone blew their hand on the first person. I have the zombies version, we still break it out once in a while.

Haha! Yep. In Munchkin, it pays to be second.

1 minute ago, fretgod99 said:

I've been reading through the PHB for 5E and it looks good. If I had the time and a group available, I'd love to give it a go.

Yeah, I've enjoyed 5E, mainly because it's not too heavy or crunchy. You can add some of that back in, but without having an optimized situation, it still works well and is fun.

Some of my favorites lately

• Codenames, team based word-association guessing game. It's easily my favorite party game right now
  • Dead of Winter, others already mentioned but it does the zombie theme well, and puts players in moral dilemmas
  • Mysterium, semi-cooperative game that's tough to explain but fun. One player hands out pictures clues to players and they have to guess which of the cards it matches with
  • Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, similar to Mysterium but less cooperative
  • Suburbia, not quite the Sim City board game I was expecting but I had a lot of fun with it. Lots of different strategies available for you to build the most successful suburb
  • T.I.M.E. Stories, cooperative game where you play as time investigators trying to solve mysteries through time and other people meddling in the timelines, the game has a story secrets with in. Because of this, it's not really a game that can be replayed but there are a bunch of expansions. The game plays out kind of similarly to a single session RPG game
  • Terre Mystica, this is one of those worker placement games, with a lot of depth and strategy. There's multiple player races in the game and different modes for each so there's a lot of variance
Edited by skywindO2
Forgot Terre Mystica

I wasn't a huge fan of Codenames, maybe it was just the group, but kind of just shut down the party when that game was pulled out.

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong was a ton of fun the couple of times I've played it. Probably my favorite social deduction game that I've played. I'm normally not that big a fan of them, but I really liked that one.

6 hours ago, The Gnat said:

So, I have developed the initial version of a board game, rules, player powers, "board", and now i want time to actually get a prototype up so that I can start play testing it with people.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Codenames, maybe it was just the group, but kind of just shut down the party when that game was pulled out.

It's not a real lively game.  But i think it's fun for a small group that likes to play games more than chat.

When we played it once, we had a fun time antagonizing and playing mind games with the other group as they tried to guess which cards to pick.  Probably the best part of the game.  

2 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:
6 hours ago, The Gnat said:

So, I have developed the initial version of a board game, rules, player powers, "board", and now i want time to actually get a prototype up so that I can start play testing it with people.

I don't know why it won't let me edit my first post after I quoted you. I can't type anything. 

Anyways, copied over from TAST.

very cool, do you want to publish or just have it to play with friends? What kind of game? What's the game about?

I've tried this a couple times as well. Never really got off the ground, stuck in the initial testing/tweaking phases, but I kept everything so I can work on them later.

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

I don't know why it won't let me edit my first post after I quoted you. I can't type anything. 

Anyways, copied over from TAST.

very cool, do you want to publish or just have it to play with friends? What kind of game? What's the game about?

I've tried this a couple times as well. Never really got off the ground, stuck in the initial testing/tweaking phases, but I kept everything so I can work on them later.

Haha, I was just copying over what you had asked in TAST.

I would ideally want to publish it eventually. Right now I just want to get it into playtesting stage.

The game itself is a die based game, primarily where each player has a limited pool of dice. They are trying to get dice that equal certain numbers to take over planets, but once you've used a die, that die is gone, and you can attack another player. That means that you have to determine how many dice to use to colonize different planets (it's a space theme), because even if they aren't used to colonize they are gone. Each different alien race that is trying to colonize has a different ability as well, so I hope it's good.

I was at a panel at a Con about building an indie game and they were talking about rushing it to playtesting, and then make a tweak and playtest again. So I'm hoping to do that.

3 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Asked before, but what would be some good games to play for two people?

Arkham Horror can be played with 2 people with each person playing as 2 or more characters. It's not too hard to get into once you find the flowchart online. It's set in HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, if that interests you.

Designed for one to eight players, Arkham Horror is a cooperative adventure game of survival, horror, and investigation. A terrible creature from beyond time and space—an Ancient One—is awakening, roused by dimensional gates that open across the city. Players take on the role of investigators, each with a unique backstory, abilities, and equipment. Joining forces, the investigators must secure the city, encountering its haunted and mysterious locations before the Ancient One awakens. If the Ancient One awakens and defeats the players in the final battle, all of Arkham is doomed.

7 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Haha, I was just copying over what you had asked in TAST.

I would ideally want to publish it eventually. Right now I just want to get it into playtesting stage.

The game itself is a die based game, primarily where each player has a limited pool of dice. They are trying to get dice that equal certain numbers to take over planets, but once you've used a die, that die is gone, and you can attack another player. That means that you have to determine how many dice to use to colonize different planets (it's a space theme), because even if they aren't used to colonize they are gone. Each different alien race that is trying to colonize has a different ability as well, so I hope it's good.

I was at a panel at a Con about building an indie game and they were talking about rushing it to playtesting, and then make a tweak and playtest again. So I'm hoping to do that.

That's really cool. Maybe I should just jump in and play test more often rather than trying to make it perfect all at once.

Forgot one earlier.

Fury of Dracula - One player is Dracula, up to four others are cannonical vampire hunters (Van Helsing, Mina, etc.) working together to track down Drac who is hidden while wondering all over Europe spreading mayhem. First play through there's a learning curve. But it was a lot of fun.