Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Signed up for a few Gencon Online events:

The Night Cage - A horror survival game, I'm backing on kickstarter, super excited to try this one.

Fruit Picking - Light little game but looks like fun and one I'm very curious to see.

The Librarian Adventure Card Game - I know nothing about this one just that it's based on the TV show, so I want to try it.

Got some gaming in Tabletop Simulator last night:

Say Bye to the Villains 2x - Cooperative game, we lost both times, were close on one of them, not close on the other at all, never beat the game, but I still really like it.

Hats 2x - went 1-1 in that. I really like that game, I like how what's already on the scoring table is what you're taking to use for your scoring at the end of the game, so it's very much a puzzle of figuring out how you can block other people from scoring well while protecting your own scoring.

So, Fantasy Flight did their In-Flight report for things coming out in 202 still and early in 2021, so so much announced/talked about:

Separatists and Galactic Empire for Star Wars X-Wing, Legion, and Armada

Expansion for Twilight Imperium 4th Edition

New Keyforge Set

Arkham Horror and Arkham Horror LCG are both going to Innsmouth for their next stories

Journeys in Middle Earth is getting another campaign in the app

Marvel X-Men: Mutant Incursion - cooperative dice game

Descent 3rd Edition teased

There was more as well, but what I'm really excited for is Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Galaxies Most Wanted with Rocket and Groot.

Last week visited my Brother and his family (Triplets all 9, a Nephew and 2 Nieces). They love games so we brought some new ones and taught them King of Tokyo and Point Salad. In total we got in 6 games of KoT over 2 days and 1 game of Point Salad.

After the first 3 games of KoT they had the rules down better than my wife's' family we had the game night the week before and my Brother ordered it the first night and their copy arrived on Saturday shortly after we left and is their new Favorite game. I believe they will get Point Salad at some point as well. The have Takeido which I will have to get to play next month when we head back again. 

Last night we had another game night with my wife's Sister and Brother in law but had a late start and only got to play Res Arcana once since there were 4 of us and we had to teach the rules plus we were super tired. They liked it though and will be likely picking it up sometime soon. Funny enough they also ordered King of Tokyo after we played it at their house and taught it to some friends of their that visited from out of town last weekend. 

Definitely been spreading modern board gaming lately which is never a bad thing. 

9 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Definitely been spreading modern board gaming lately which is never a bad thing. 

That's awesome, definitely a good thing. And King of Tokyo is such a fun game, I don't play it often, but it does hit the table at least once a year and probably twice most years. If they like it, or you like it a lot, look at Dice Throne, some of the same mechanics, more of the punching.

I was checking out Gencon deals, not that much in the Gencon game store really, but some game companies have some nice sales. Greenbriar Games has 50% off your order with the code GENCANT and Cool Stuff Inc has 5% off your order with GENCON5. I picked up Sonora, two expansions for Detective, and Camel Up from Cool Stuff and Champions of Hara from Greenbriar.

And I had D&D last night, good session, one character almost died.

Tonight I have a digital game night with some people, then tomorrow a Gencon game, and Sunday two gencon games, it's going to be a full weekend of gaming, just wish it was in person.

Got my 3 games in:

Fruit Picking - That one was fun and plays really fast, which I enjoyed. Simple mechanics, lighter weight, though, you can kind of strategize if you want, but it plays fast enough so if you don't want to spend all your time thinking about strategy and mathing it out, you don't have to, and while I'm sure some players will, this game isn't really designed for them because it is simpler.

The Librarians Adventure Card Game - I really enjoyed this one. It was basically a scenario based game that will take you through the first season of the Librarians TV show, but it was a lot of fun, and I liked the show so there is that. But the game played pretty quickly once we learned the rules, and everyone can kind of take their actions at once. So there's very little downtime and a good amount of flavor text. We were playing a very heavily prototyped version of the game, but saw a few images of what the game will be looking like, and looks nice.

The Night Cage - This one was odd to play, I'm already backing it and while I enjoyed it, it was odd because we had one of the designers teaching the game who did a solid job, but we had four people out of the five playing the game sitting at a single table in real life. So they knew each other well, and in person, I can work with a group fairly well, I did something similar where I was the only person not in the group at Gencon last year, but they didn't utilize the digital medium that well, especially at the start, to really let us know what they were talking about, so I was kind of out of the loop. But the game was a lot of fun, there's a strong element of pushing your luck as you burn through tiles trying not to find monsters and to find keys and then a gate so that you can all escape. I think that this one can have a mood set nicely for it and it'll be a fun game, I'm glad I'm backing it on Kickstarter.

10 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Got my 3 games in:

The Night Cage - This one was odd to play, I'm already backing it and while I enjoyed it, it was odd because we had one of the designers teaching the game who did a solid job, but we had four people out of the five playing the game sitting at a single table in real life. So they knew each other well, and in person, I can work with a group fairly well, I did something similar where I was the only person not in the group at Gencon last year, but they didn't utilize the digital medium that well, especially at the start, to really let us know what they were talking about, so I was kind of out of the loop. But the game was a lot of fun, there's a strong element of pushing your luck as you burn through tiles trying not to find monsters and to find keys and then a gate so that you can all escape. I think that this one can have a mood set nicely for it and it'll be a fun game, I'm glad I'm backing it on Kickstarter.

This sounds very much like SubTerra, which I own but haven't played yet.

15 hours ago, SirA1 said:

This sounds very much like SubTerra, which I own but haven't played yet.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. SubTerra has been on my radar, not one that I own. I'm curious about the quality of the game because it's somewhat spendy.

I'm watching some playthroughs of Reichbusters and I'm really interested in the game. Mythic Games has some of the stuff available in their online store, I shouldn't order it, but I'm really tempted to. I like the sneak around and then blow stuff up.

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, I can definitely see that. SubTerra has been on my radar, not one that I own. I'm curious about the quality of the game because it's somewhat spendy.

Mine is still in the box but I am going to try and get it to the table for our next game night after I introduce Space Base. I'll let you know how it goes once we get Sub Terra played.

Brother in law also ordered Res Arcana. I highly recommend Res Arcana as a good 2-4 player. Plays good at 2 and also 4. If you like puzzles and engine building with a little bit or resource management you should like it.

I do want to try Res Arcana, maybe if I can find it used I'll pick it up. It's one of those that seems like I'd enjoy it, but the theme didn't jump out and grab me.

Played Case IV of Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game. It was fun to get back to it after a couple of months of playing TTS. Still playing digitally, but the game works well that way, and I can share my table so we can all see what is going on, and I still get to use physical pieces, which is fun.

Almost bought into the Wyrmwood Kickstarter for a new table. With it being modular, I got hyped into buying a table height Liliput that I could double as a desk When not being used for gaming and then expand into a dining room table when I move. But by the time I got to it, the expected delivery date for the wave I’d be in is Feb 2022. At this point, I might as well sit it out and buy whatever makes sense for where I’ll be living by the time 2022 rolls around. But that table is definitely making its way into my house. 

They also had raised $4.7M in just like 10 hours. Absolutely insane. 

13 hours ago, pwny said:

Almost bought into the Wyrmwood Kickstarter for a new table. With it being modular, I got hyped into buying a table height Liliput that I could double as a desk When not being used for gaming and then expand into a dining room table when I move. But by the time I got to it, the expected delivery date for the wave I’d be in is Feb 2022. At this point, I might as well sit it out and buy whatever makes sense for where I’ll be living by the time 2022 rolls around. But that table is definitely making its way into my house. 

They also had raised $4.7M in just like 10 hours. Absolutely insane. 

Wow, that's out a long ways already, I'm not too shocked I guess. It seems like there's a good looking gaming table every couple of months, or you can just do something like Game Toppers as well, which mean you don't have a full separate table.

Game night again last night.

We introduced Space Base to the Brother and Sister in law. It was well received as he gambles in Vegas and she understands odds and such because of that. Once they picked up the basics of the engine building and dice rolling it went well. Got a good game in that the Brother in law won which is his first time winning in the weeks we have gotten together so far. This one will make it back to the table I believe.

We also played a nice palate cleansing game of Point Salad which was enjoyed too and the Sister ended up winning.

In two weeks we are going to look at doing a coop game like Horrified, Atlantis Rising, The Crew or Sub Terra. Depending on which one the wife and I have time to brush up on.