Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'll amend my post.....if you are an established company, I'd switch for sure. If you are like me, and will do your first crowdfunding PDF in a couple months, you almost have to go KS.....but we'll see what happens.

I'd agree with that, for a new creator, I'd hold off for about six months and then move.

Got more gaming in last night, played two games, twice each. Wrapped up the night with Point Salad which is such a good filler game. And it is so easy to teach/remember, my wife who hadn't played it in a while was able to remember with about two seconds of explanation.

The other game we played was Sonora, a flick and write game. So like a roll and write, but instead of rolling dice, you are flicking discs, and where they end up after everyone has flicked is the thing that you get to do, and the number on the disc matters as well. I was not good enough flickings discs to hit the double or the wild in the center too often, but the game is a lot of fun. As you are filling in the sections, it combos to another section or gives you an additional ability, and it is just a lot of fun. The game plays fast as well, though filling in your sheet can take a bit if you get a ton of combos but everyone can do that at the same time, which is really nice. I like games where there isn't much downtime.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:04 PM, PrplChilPill said:

My LGS had Wingspan in stock. I bought it. So far, it is just sitting around, as I haven't watched the how to play videos yet....and my wife seems uninterested right now....and most of my friends and I are not getting together right now......sigh.

I bought this last December and it sat on my shelf for 6th months. My wife was the same and uninterested in it. It is now her favorite game since we started playing  a couple of months ago. Introduced it to my family and their copy was delivered before we left during vacation.

Probably going to play again tonight and introduce it to one new person.

• Like 1

Swung out past my FLGS now that they got their Kang the Conqueror stuff in for Marvel Champions, I picked up The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine, this is kind of this years The Mind, except it's an actual game instead of guessing what number someone has at random.

And just wrapped up my Top 100 Board games. https://nerdologists.com/2020/10/top-100-board-games-complete-list/

I started streaming again board games last night, kind of a test stream where I was seeing how it'd work in the new game room. Worked as well as at the old place, I need to adjust a few things to get the light better and get it set-up better for me for playing the games, right now I've figured out how to flip the image, but not mirror it as well, so I flip it vertically so I can play a game the right way up and everything is upside down. I guess I could play with the camera right next to me as an option, but I'm not sure my cables are long enough for that.

Plays Hues and Cues over the weekend as well as some Jackbox games for digital board game night. Hues and Cues is all about trying to get people to guess a color on the board based off of a one word clue and then a two word clue (up to). There are also 480 different colors on the board. It works really well via Zoom.

12 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Btw...I sell d&d stuff...

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/332887

Nice! I have one thing I worked up that I was thinking about putting up on the DMS Guild, we'll see if I do that, I might just put it out there for free.

Some gaming for me last night, because we got almost 8" of snow yesterday, didn't finish off Gloomhaven in person like planned, played two games of Say Bye to the Villains, almost won the second one. And then played Dice Throne three players, always a good time. And we planned to start with Tainted Grail as our next campaign game after Gloomhaven.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Oh, and I might be working on a game design:

https://nerdologists.com/2020/10/board-game-design-diary-the-bosses/

I've linked all the parts thus far in there, but I wanted to document my process, just to see how far that can get me into a design, who knows where I'll end up with it, but I like my idea thus far.

you're him? huh. that makes sense now that I think about it.

Don't give away your stuff on dmsguild, charge something.....really. Your time is worth money.

• Like 1

Don't have my screen grab, but if you were wondering where the X-Men were in CMON's big Kickstarter (well one of them) this year, for Marvel United, they are coming to KS next year. A lot of people were guessing that this was going to happen, but if you're more of an X-Men fan than an Avengers fan, this will be when you want to get it.