Jump to content

Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)


Recommended Posts

@The Gnat, just a FYI: Etherfields is shipping. Just arrived at Casa Woz. BIG effing box: 29" x 15.5" x 12"

Now to convince wife and spawn to play with me. Well, first unpack and study rules. 

This might be one of the few games that is worth an unpacking video (but that might spoil the surprise!).

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Woz said:

@The Gnat, just a FYI: Etherfields is shipping. Just arrived at Casa Woz. BIG effing box: 29" x 15.5" x 12"

Now to convince wife and spawn to play with me. Well, first unpack and study rules. 

This might be one of the few games that is worth an unpacking video (but that might spoil the surprise!).

I went with single wave shipping for that one, just because I knew I probably wouldn't get it to the table that quickly with Tainted Grail, so I'm seeing everyone rave about the game wishing I had done two wave, haha.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 8:02 AM, The Gnat said:

I went with single wave shipping for that one, just because I knew I probably wouldn't get it to the table that quickly with Tainted Grail, so I'm seeing everyone rave about the game wishing I had done two wave, haha.

I have managed to cajole/threaten/bribe my kids to playing with me today. Hopefully this turns out well.

Or at least better than wasting my time watching the Washington-Cincinnati debacle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2020 at 8:27 AM, The Gnat said:

Nice, that's the way to do.

How did it go?

Slow. A lot of it was trying to explain the game, get them to focus and listen to the descriptions.

However, I think I may have at least my wife and spawn #1 on board for a longer run. Spawn #2 was always going to be iffy, but I think I can force 'em to power through the rest of the tutorial level.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Gnat said:

@SirA1 I'm finally getting Res Arcana with store credit from selling a few games.

Nice. That is an excellent Engine builder. 

I had a chance to play Villainous this past weekend. A friend of my wife's visited and she is a huge Disney fan so brought it. The production quality is high and one nice surprise is it come pre-punched and sorted so start up is quick. It was a good fun time but I can see after a few plays with the different characters it would be predictable. I think the expansions would help this.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Woz said:

Slow. A lot of it was trying to explain the game, get them to focus and listen to the descriptions.

However, I think I may have at least my wife and spawn #1 on board for a longer run. Spawn #2 was always going to be iffy, but I think I can force 'em to power through the rest of the tutorial level.

Hopefully Spawn #2 will continue to play. I am not too surprised, it seemed like there was a lot going on in the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So many game companies are doing board game Black Friday sales right now. I think it's more than I've seen previously from the company themselves. Greater Than Games has some amazing discounts, I highly recommend Homebrewers, I think you'd like that engine builder @SirA1

Thunderworks is going to have something coming up Black Friday, Forbidden Games as well, Pandasaurus already has some on sale, though theirs aren't nearly as good as Greater Than Games which has some stuff up to 80% off I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

So many game companies are doing board game Black Friday sales right now. I think it's more than I've seen previously from the company themselves. Greater Than Games has some amazing discounts, I highly recommend Homebrewers, I think you'd like that engine builder @SirA1

Thunderworks is going to have something coming up Black Friday, Forbidden Games as well, Pandasaurus already has some on sale, though theirs aren't nearly as good as Greater Than Games which has some stuff up to 80% off I believe.

My Black Friday dollars are going towards Warhammer 40K this year. 

About the only thing Board Game wise I plan on picking up is the 2nd Expansion for Wingspan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 8:02 AM, The Gnat said:

Hopefully Spawn #2 will continue to play. I am not too surprised, it seemed like there was a lot going on in the game.

You have no idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I played through the last 6-8 chapters of Betrayal Legacy over thanksgiving. Really cool, I’ve never played I game like that before.

are there any similar legacy/co-op games that would be good for 2 people? Looking for a couple of games to get the GF and I through another quarantine winter 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I played through the last 6-8 chapters of Betrayal Legacy over thanksgiving. Really cool, I’ve never played I game like that before.

are there any similar legacy/co-op games that would be good for 2 people? Looking for a couple of games to get the GF and I through another quarantine winter 

Pandemic Legacy for sure would be one that I'd recommend (there are three seasons of that), also I've heard great things about Clank! Legacy

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2020 at 9:01 AM, The Gnat said:

Wrapped up Gloomhaven last night. We took our best built characters just for a battle against the final boss of Forgotten Circles at level 9, and we almost beat him. I think we would have had we played through all the scenarios, but because of time off from Covid and just the number of years now that we've been playing Gloomhaven, we were ready to wrap it up and head onto the new thing.

How approachable is Gloomhaven? It seems exceedingly complex

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

How approachable is Gloomhaven? It seems exceedingly complex

It is complex to learn, not that complex to play, in my opinion. Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is the smaller box version which plays the game, but the first 4 scenarios teach you the game as you go. I'd highly recommend Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...