Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

The wife and I played one of the games I got on Black Friday Century: Spice Road , I think this is going to be another one we like. We are bringing it to Game Night tonight to introduce it to the group.

Edited by SirA1

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

The wife and I played one of the games I got on Black Friday Century: Spice Road , I think this is going to be another one we like. We are bringing it to Game Night tonight to introduce it to the group.

Century: Spice Road is good. Granted, I've only played the Golem edition that has awesome gems and golem artwork, but the game is nice and light and so fast to play, so fast, it's amazing how fast turns are. Definitely a great game.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

A's are up now as well. https://nerdologists.com/2020/12/the-collection-a-to-z-a-is-for/ - last one I'll be posting but probably a new one every week day.

Haven't played any of those, though we started Arkham's Horror once,  but didn't get to finish it. I think it was at FFG's room (when I live in MN).

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I've considered the Betrayal games, but never played......maybe someday, if I ever feel I play the ones I already own enough......which seems unlikely.

They are fun, but definitely not for everyone. The balance can be really swingy depending on who finds what room or event. The D&D one fixes that slightly, but I like the horror theme better, and it does feel thematic to have things just be kind of crazy balance wise.

• Like 1

We no longer play cribbage because my wife wins 95% of the time.....and, well, that's not fun for either of us.

Carcassonne should be in everyone's house. Easy, (a bit random at times for my taste, but not bad), and you can win a lot of ways. Plays fast too. 

The only one there I'd like to try is Choose Your Own Adventure (or whatever it is called)......

17 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

We no longer play cribbage because my wife wins 95% of the time.....and, well, that's not fun for either of us.

Carcassonne should be in everyone's house. Easy, (a bit random at times for my taste, but not bad), and you can win a lot of ways. Plays fast too. 

The only one there I'd like to try is Choose Your Own Adventure (or whatever it is called)......

Yeah, my win % is not that high in cribbage as well, though not from my spouse, and agreed with Carcassonne, a little bit random it's fast and something that is different.

Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger is the better of the two Choose Your Own Adventure Games, simpler but tells a better game story.

• Like 1

I'm just sad that it looks like Illuminati Confirmed looks like it is going to come up short for its kickstarter. I had really hoped to get a couple of copies of Illuminati: New World Order for my wife (she used to have the cards but they were thrown out), plus I like Steven Jackson games.

Yes, I know that it's a video game, but it's a video game of a board game. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ah, interesting, I have no connection or knowledge of Illuminati Confirmed. I tend to not look at video games just because of their low success rate on actually delivering what they promise.

I got Res Arcana and Blueprints from my FLGS on Saturday, they ordered in my copy or Res Arcana and then sold me on Blueprints in there, looks like a nice light family game.

Also had an order come in, Deranged, Codenames Pictures, Welcome to Las Vegas, and Tiny Towns. I got Tiny Towns to the table as well, which was awesome, glad I picked up that game, it was very fun and diverse, not really that challenging, but there is some strategy, overall, really good.

Has anyone played Charterstone or Clank (I have Legacy but I assume the gameplay is the same as normal Clank)?

I have both, and I'm wondering which one is easier to play with my GF's parents over Christmas. We played Betrayal Legacy which was great, but anything more complex than that might be a struggle. Is Clank overly competitive, or can it be a casual/co-op game?