Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Has anyone played Charterstone or Clank (I have Legacy but I assume the gameplay is the same as normal Clank)?

I have both, and I'm wondering which one is easier to play with my GF's parents over Christmas. We played Betrayal Legacy which was great, but anything more complex than that might be a struggle. Is Clank overly competitive, or can it be a casual/co-op game? 

I've played Charterstone and Clank! In! Space! and Clank! I also have Clank! Legacy, but haven't played it yet. From what I know of those games, Charterstone would be better for more casual gamers, Clank! can be a bit cutthroat as you rush in and grab and then rush out if you want leaving everyone else to struggle, granted, Legacy should be played more casually to enjoy the story, from what I've heard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Gnat said:

I've played Charterstone and Clank! In! Space! and Clank! I also have Clank! Legacy, but haven't played it yet. From what I know of those games, Charterstone would be better for more casual gamers, Clank! can be a bit cutthroat as you rush in and grab and then rush out if you want leaving everyone else to struggle, granted, Legacy should be played more casually to enjoy the story, from what I've heard.

Does Clank play well with 2 people?

I've heard Charterstone plays better with 4 than 2, which is why I was thinking that would be a better game to bring

Just now, Heimdallr said:

Does Clank play well with 2 people?

I've heard Charterstone plays better with 4 than 2, which is why I was thinking that would be a better game to bring

I can say having played Charterstone with 5, it's a game of with more the better. And I've heard Clank! Legacy plays well with two.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 8:33 AM, The Gnat said:

I actually got a $5 off email from Gamefound for this. But will probably pass. I am actually looking forward to getting back to actual RPG stuff next year. 

I went back and got the Aliens game. Could not pass up the 16 Xenomorph minis that come with the game that I can use in the Aliens RPG.

Edited by SirA1

I am glad I had about $60 in store Credit when I went to the FLGS today.

The Wingspan Oceanic Expansion came in today that I had order. Only $30 so better than I expected.

Another game that was high on my radar after seeing it played on Dice Tower was Dune: Imperium so I got that as well. I am not a big deck builder guy but love Dune. 

They also had some extra minis for the Aliens Board game from Gale Force Nine that I hadn't seen anywhere else. Face Huggers, Eggs, Computer Terminals and Crates. Perfect for the Board game and the RPG I am working on for next year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Played through half of Clank! Legacy this weekend, and it is awesome! The GF and I worked together to try to explore everything instead of competing and racing to be back first, and it was a ton of fun.

Awesome, I need to start playing through my copy with my wife. Or some other game, I'm adding games to my collection too fast.

• Like 1

Swung by FFGC who are selling off the games on their demo wall and planning on rebuilding it once things open up again. They don't do piece counts so there might be something missing, but didn't look like anything major with the four I grabbed and 2 of them were $5 anyways. But we grabbed, Dinosaur Tea Party (my wife wanted that one), Jamaica, Hey, That's My Fish, and another that I forget the name of but that I played at GenCon and is a good kids game. And then picked up a TIME Stories expansion and the 2+ version of Animal Upon Animal for the toddler, he was extremely pleased with getting that game and liked playing with the animals, even stacked them a couple of times.

• Like 1

I know we periodically get questions about two-player games. Got my wife Exit: The Abandoned Cabin. Played it tonight. It was pretty fun.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned in-thread. It’s a one-off escape room style riddle game. They have a bunch in the series. Worth the $10-15 if you and your partner like riddle/puzzle games. Can’t replay, but I still think it’s worth it. You can also play it with more than 2 (maybe ip to 6?).

Also, my daughter (really my wife) got me Story Chess so I can start teaching my tiny human how to play (she’s almost three, so it’ll still be a little while). And I picked up Amazing Tales, so in another year or so I can introduce her to table top rpgs. I’m excited!