Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

13 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

I know we periodically get questions about two-player games. Got my wife Exit: The Abandoned Cabin. Played it tonight. It was pretty fun.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned in-thread. It’s a one-off escape room style riddle game. They have a bunch in the series. Worth the $10-15 if you and your partner like riddle/puzzle games. Can’t replay, but I still think it’s worth it. You can also play it with more than 2 (maybe ip to 6?).

I've played Exit Games with up to 8, but it's trickier, Unlock is great as well, and you can pass them on to someone else. There is a three pack that you can get of Star Wars ones that are great. I do like the "escape room" style games, I have an Escape The Room Game as well, all of them are one time playable. if you are looking for more like that, but a little different, you could checkout TIME Stories, and more deduction focused but gives an experience type of feel like the "escape room" games do Detective: A  Modern Crime Board Game, or Detective: Season 1. The first one of those, A Modern Crime Board Game is five cases all tied together and is amazing.

Also yay games to play with kids, in the future.

I did get a board game, Age of War, because I need  more board games, but it's one that I've liked at Fantasy Flight Game Center (their FLGS), and is a good simple filler type game, it can run over filler length, but now bad and it's one you can really chat over while playing.

I backed 12 Kickstarters last year, 10 of them were board games that I'm getting something with, one was a $1 that I decided to pass on in the pledge manager, and a cat plushie that is shaped like a D4. So I have a top 10 list of anticipated Kickstarter games from 2020:

https://nerdologists.com/2020/12/top-10-kickstarters-i-backed-in-2020/

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I backed 12 Kickstarters last year, 10 of them were board games that I'm getting something with, one was a $1 that I decided to pass on in the pledge manager, and a cat plushie that is shaped like a D4. So I have a top 10 list of anticipated Kickstarter games from 2020:

I'm beginning to think I should have bought Frostgrave, and not MageKnight (I got a great deal on that game though).....Frankly, I might buy the Frostgrave PDF and use Foundry VTT to run games with friends remotely.....if people want to do that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Here is my list of Kickstarters that I backed in 2019/2020.

1. Grimmepspace RPG - I backed this one in Jul 2019 and it was supposed to fill in Jul 2020. Delayed of course but I think they are a few months from fulfilling. I actually got one of the bonus things that came with this just last month. It is a cool big book that opens to have different Sci Fi maps to play RPG's on. It's about 40 different maps.

2. Altered Carbon RPG - PDF only so I got this one about 6 months ago. I think they are just now printing the physical copies.

3. Tortuga 2199 - A futuristic Sci Fi Pirate space Board Game from Grey Fox games. Mainly got this for the Ship Minis but I like pirates too. Think Black Sails in space.

4. Ankh: Gods of Egypt - Miniatures area control game by CMON. They are finalizing pieces for this and like most stuff it's waiting on container shipping space to get distributed.

5. The Great Race - a programable race game from a French company. Based on actual historical figures This one is actually mostly done and again just waiting on shipping.

6: Ancient Ones: Sacraments of the Lost Ones - This is an Art/Coffee table book from one of my favorite artists Allen Panakal. It has lots of info and background on his Sci-Fi setting he created along with his Art. This one is going to the printers in a week or so so I expect it to arrive in Jan.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

3. Tortuga 2199 - A futuristic Sci Fi Pirate space Board Game from Grey Fox games. Mainly got this for the Ship Minis but I like pirates too. Think Black Sails in space.

4. Ankh: Gods of Egypt - Miniatures area control game by CMON. They are finalizing pieces for this and like most stuff it's waiting on container shipping space to get distributed.

I definitely considered both of these. I felt like I might just get Ankh when it comes to retail.

Just now, swoosh said:

Secret Hitler - as fun as it looks? 

I prefer Deception: Murder in Hong Kong which does the same thing but slightly better. Secret Hitler isn't bad though, it just can get a bit too out there, and with the wrong people it ends up being annoying.

• Like 1

Finally played Marvel United last night, the base game, base villain is simple but it was fun. I like how the cards combo off of each other, so you have to think some to optimize your strategy. We played it on easy and it was easy, but still was getting closer to the end. I'd say that this is a highly recommended family, and if you like Marvel a well recommended game. From what I know the expansions are supposed to let you play a more hobby version of the game.

I was at the FLGS yesterday and picked up some of their discounted games that went to 50% off.

Blue Moon City - Heard good things about this one from Mike and Zee on Dice Tower. For $25 bucks I'll give it a try.

Jixia Academy - A reskinned Hannamikoji. Gnat had high praise for that one and I was looking to get more 2 player games for me and the wife and $10 was good to me.

Also my copies of Deception: Murder in Hong Kong/Undercover Allies sold earlier in the day so I should have more store credit to get a couple of things next week. I bought those a year ago at a con but with everything going on just didn't see the need to hold onto them as Party Games will be a bit off for my group.

• Like 1

Last two order of 2020 were Aeon's End: New Age and Black Rose War, both games that I've been interested in, I now will have 4 of the five versions of Aeon's End, I need to play the legacy one so that I can then put hopefully most everything into that bad.

Also played Super-Skill Pinball: 4-Cade, it's a pinball roll and write game. I liked it quite well, just played it once, but seems pretty thematic and mechanically strong.

8 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

Anyone here play cribbage?  I usually play a game with my mom when I go see my parents. 

I have a cribbage board and it'll get pulled out once in a while. I want to get a really nice Cribbage board that I can maybe hang on the wall in my game room.

11 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Not sure if anyone has played Slay the Spire on Steam but it's being made into a board game.  It'll be a cooperative deck building game.  It's one of my favorite PC games, such incredible replayability, excited to see what the board game looks like. 

I saw that something was coming out this year, I believe on Kickstarter. I hadn't looked at any of the mechanics yet. I do like cooperative games and deck building games. Haven't played Slay the Spire on PC or anywhere yet.